Tikka 300 WSM magazine options for extra COAL

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Do you need a PRC specific bolt stop with the factory PRC mag?
I would assume it’s the standard Tikka short action bolt stop given that the 6.5 PRC is technically a short action cartridge but would be good for someone with first hand knowledge to confirm

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
208 ELD-Ms stabilize in my 11” twist Tikka, so I sprung for a couple of HCA Gen 2 magazines and a long bolt stop.

Loading the 208’s at 3.01” COAL
With 3 rounds in the mag, can you install one of the gen 2 mags with the bolt closed?

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
208 ELD-Ms stabilize in my 11” twist Tikka, so I sprung for a couple of HCA Gen 2 magazines and a long bolt stop.

Loading the 208’s at 3.01” COAL
Stabilize by what measure? Practical experience or per Berger’s (or similar) stab calc?

Last edited:
OP
G
…do you plan to try a front shim? If so, will you let me/us know?
Sorry I returned it. It was supposed to work with a factory setup and did not to my satisfaction. It was so tight it scratched the brass on cycling the first round. I don't want to shim it up to work. I'm going to try mountain tactical. Or a 6.5prc mag, if I can figure out which bolt stop.

OP
G
I read somewhere Unknown Munitions might be making a Tikka magazine, I hope they do this shouldn't be so hard!

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Can confirm it works. I shot them out to 1400 and the BC still matched Hornady's listed one. That's at 5000 feet DA.
@BjornF16 and @PathFinder - that's awesome news and great contribution to the discussion on this. Thanks!

I've been loading Berger 205 EHs and not the 200/208 hornady bullets specifically because of the stability concern. The 205 is a great, accurate bullet and only real concern/complaint is a lack of documented evidence on their terminal performance. With that said, I know a 205 gr hollow point is far overkill but I would still "feel" better knowing I can complete my multiple $k trip with a proven bullet...

Last edited:

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I read somewhere Unknown Munitions might be making a Tikka magazine, I hope they do this shouldn't be so hard!
great!!! @Unknown Munitions... let's go!!! Sign me up for a pre-order if it:

a) has a shoulder stop to prevent bullets tips from deforming when firing
b) supports COAL than enables the 200/205/208/215 gr bullets
c) allows the magazine to be easily latched having 3 rounds installed and the bolt closed
d) rounded-ish bottom edges for ergonomics when carrying the rifle with hand under stock/magazine at the balance point.

Last edited:

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I returned it. It was supposed to work with a factory setup and did not to my satisfaction. It was so tight it scratched the brass on cycling the first round. I don't want to shim it up to work. I'm going to try mountain tactical. Or a 6.5prc mag, if I can figure out which bolt stop.
ok please let me / us know.

Re: PRC mag, there will be no real down side / issue using a long action bolt stop even if the PRC mag is at some mid-length point... Your bolt will just translate rearward a few 0.1" further than it needs to.

OP
G
great!!! @Unknown Munitions... let's go!!! Sign me up for a pre-order if it:

a) has a shoulder stop to prevent bullets tips from deforming when firing
b) supports COAL than enables the 200/205/208/215 gr bullets
c) allows the magazine to be easily latched having 3 rounds installed and the bolt closed
d) rounded-ish bottom edges for ergonomics when carrying the rifle with hand under stock/magazine at the balance point.
I'd like an option for those of us that don't need 3.4" and just want to reach the lands with 180-200 gr bullets. A longer short mag.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I have my WSM barrel off the rifle so it was a great opportunity to measure the maximum COAL and CBTO at jam in the lands for all the bullets I have on hand. I used a once-fired case with a lightly pinched neck, inserted the bullet, and pushed into the barrel till the case was fully seated. Pulled the round and measured CBTO and COAL, repeating the procedure five times and then taking an average.

Below are my measurements of bullet length / CBTO (max) / COAL (max). Note that 10 bullets were measured to obtain an average length. These might be useful to anyone with a factory barrel considering which magazine to use. Your barrel chamber may vary by a few thousands, but should be in the ballpark since Tikkas have tight tolerances.

Speer 172 IMPACT: 1.332/2.313/2.995
Speer 190 IMPACT: 1.419/2.272/2.928
Hornady 150 CX: 1.339/2.314/2.948
Barnes TTSX 168: 1.417/2.329/3.007
Barnes 175 LRX: 1.477/2.270/2.915
Barnes TSX 200: 1.502/2.340/2.939
Badlands BD II 175: 1.536/2.323/3.042

The measurements suggest I would be happy with a Tikka 6.5 PRC magazine with 3.08" COAL which is longer than where I would seat any of the bullets I tested. It is evident that the max CBTO and COAL resulting from the throat length on my factory 1:11 WSM barrel would limit use of very long bullets; a relatively moot point given the slow twist. I have not yet loaded any of these bullets and my loads will start with recommended seating depths, so I may never achieve max CBTO/COAL, especially since mono bullets are frequently said to like more jump (0.0400-0.050), putting me at 3.000-ish COAL with even the Badlands Bulldozer II 175s.

Last edited:
OP
G
I finally installed the Mountain Tactical long action bolt stop and magazine. Going off memory my current load is only 2.941 COAL but I was getting mashed tips with a shorter COAL in the factory mag. So I have a ton of room now.

Loading rounds into the mag they want to teeter a little bit,. And there isn't much of a click you can hear or feel putting the mag into the rifle. So it will take some getting used to.

But 3 rounds fit no problem with the bolt closed, and so far they cycle great. Still want to try the factory PRC mag.