28 Gauge for Turkey

280Ackley

WKR
Anyone have any experience using a 28Ga for Turkeys? I got an over/under I was thinking about using. Obviously not going to be taking long shots with it.

Jc2020

FNG
I haven’t done it but I’d think you would be fine as long as your state allows one to be used in my experience turkeys are not very hard to kill

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
With TSS 7 or 9 shot a lot of hunters are starting to use sub gauge shotguns. That stuff turns a .410 into a legitimate turkey gun. If you can find or load some shells with that stuff I think it should put be able to put plenty of pellets where you need them.

Stuff like this:

Also saw this:

I wouldn't hesitate. My son shot his fall turkey with his Mossberg SA-28 using Winchester AA 7 1/2 shot. We made sure that it was patterning well at 30 yards. His shot was 10 yards and perfect head shot, he was worried about ruining the meat. I have since looked into the HEvi-Shot and the TSS loadings. In the end I am not convinced that the juice is worth the squeeze (price wise) when a good set-up and a well patterened gun are used within the shooters effective range. Aftrer saying that I was impressed with the performance with the Fiochi golden pheasant loads shooting #5s and think that might be the ticket for a little more performance come this spring.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
I got a box of Prairie Storm 6 shot that I was thinking would work great. That’s what I have been using in my 20Ga the last few years with great results.

Laramie

WKR
My son shot several turkeys with a 28 we borrowed from another form member. It worked great. Just as dead as any I have shit with my 12. We just used normal upland loads and kept shots under 30 yards.