2nd and 3rd Axis leveling

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, thanks for all the help on my previous posts. I had a few quick questions about leveling the sight on the bow. For the 2nd Axis, is there any way to do it without a bow vice?
For the 3rd Axis, when I am like I'm shooting downhill, the bubble goes to the left, but when I am up the bubble goes to the right. Is that normal?

The Hamskea videos are good. If you have a black gold sight I would recommend one of their two videos as well since they are specific to the Ascent sights.

N2TRKYS

WKR
How steep of an angle does it take before the leveling matters? I've bowhunted out West once, but never shot at anything. I mostly treestand hunt for whitetails. The reason I ask is because I've never used the level on a bowsight with no issues for my hunting. Actually, I take them off to get them out of my way. So, at what point does it start to affect accuracy? Thanks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For the 2nd Axis, is there any way to do it without a bow vice?

If you have a plumb door frame or wall you can put the limb pockets up again it and check and set the 2nd axis. If the sight doesn't have adjustments you can shim where it bolts on.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. 5Miles I used the door frame that was plumb and I believe I have 2nd axis set. I'll work on the getting the third axis set tonight.

charvey9

WKR
How steep of an angle does it take before the leveling matters? I've bowhunted out West once, but never shot at anything. I mostly treestand hunt for whitetails. The reason I ask is because I've never used the level on a bowsight with no issues for my hunting. Actually, I take them off to get them out of my way. So, at what point does it start to affect accuracy? Thanks.

A 'bubble" off at 60 yards on flat ground can be 6"-10" off target depending on your bow, so sight leveling is very important for shooting longer distances. The farther you shoot, the greater impact. I forgot to set the 3rd axis on my bow when I put on a new sight earlier this year. I was literally 3 feet off the target at 90 yards.

At shorter tree stand distances and angles, you may not notice the difference. Or, if you mechanics are good, you may be holding the level even though you are not paying attention to the sight level while shooting. Which would explain why you have never noticed a difference.

Next time at the range, try holding a bubble off on either side at different yardages to see the change in impact. Another fun trick to practice is using your level to correct for windage by leaning your top cam into the wind. It takes some trial and error to get the right feel, but it works.

Last edited:

charvey9

WKR
Thanks guys. 5Miles I used the door frame that was plumb and I believe I have 2nd axis set. I'll work on the getting the third axis set tonight.

Before I had any special tools for 3rd axis leveling, I would clamp a straight edge to the head of my bow sight lined perfectly straight up and down with sight pin(s). A 12" ruler works well. Then at full draw, line up the edge of the ruler with my garage door frame at both extreme up and down angles, checking the location of the sight bubble. Let down and adjust the 3rd axis on the sight accordingly. Repeat until the bubble is level when the edge of the ruler is lined up with the door frame, and you should be good to go.

N2TRKYS

WKR
A 'bubble" off at 60 yards on flat ground can be 6"-10" off target depending on your bow, so sight leveling is very important for shooting longer distances. The farther you shoot, the greater impact. I forgot to set the 3rd axis on my bow when I put on a new sight earlier this year. I was literally 3 feet off the target at 90 yards.

At shorter tree stand distances and angles, you may not notice the difference. Or, if you mechanics are good, you may be holding the level even though you are not paying attention to the sight level while shooting. Which would explain why you have never noticed a difference.

Next time at the range, try holding a bubble off on either side at different yardages to see the change in impact. Another fun trick to practice is using your level to correct for windage by leaning your top cam into the wind. It takes some trial and error to get the right feel, but it works.

I must have outstanding form. Lol. In all seriousness, 60 yards is as far as I care to practice. I'm able to get good groups at that range. All I've ever done is attach the sight to the bow and set the pins. Also, I don't align my peep with my sight housing. I've never seen the point to it. I just put the pin in the center of the peep sight and let it rip. I guess I've just been lucky with it.

I may put my bubble back on my sight and try what you're talking about.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not all sights will be off. I have a BG sight that I just screwed on and tested everything and 2nd and 3rd axis was perfect without any adjustments.

Not all sights will be off. I have a BG sight that I just screwed on and tested everything and 2nd and 3rd axis was perfect without any adjustments.

yup, same thing with me. I got a custom MBG Pure 75. Planned on spending a bunch of time setting all the axis'. turned out to be perfect on all three out the box. I've shot steep up hill and down out to 80yrds and flat out to 110 with out any adjustment. Pretty sweet