2x1 hunting etiquette

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I've done a few searches and haven't found much information on this. I have a 2x1 hunting trip coming up a 3 day either sex Elk hunt, that was planned with a good friend. He had to back out and it appears that the outfitter has already found a replacement. This will be my first guided hunt, as I'm used to doing DIY OTC, but my buddy who backed out, set this up and I've already paid. What are some things to keep in mind for a 2x1 hunt. I want to be respectful of the other hunter and the guide. Apologies if this is a basic question, I've just never been in this situation. Thank you.

Blackcow

WKR
Having guided a bunch of 2x1 over the years I’ll say your situation is better then a 2x1 where one guy paid for both( unless a couple of course). It’s a tight spot because if the guy that paid kills 1st the other guy thinks you it was planned, and if the guy that didn’t pay kills then the guy that did pay feels screwed over. Regardless, even if both guys kill someone ends up bent out of shape. At least in your boat it’s a stranger, so who cares who hates who at the end of it. I’ve had father and sons get mad at each other. Everyone says they’re happy for their friend or whatever, but they rarely truly are.

Overdrive

WKR
I do some guiding so I'll give you my input for what it's worth. Just remember that even if your with another hunter or a friend doing a guided hunt your all trying to achieve the same goal. The guide wants to get his hunters into a situation at a chance to harvest an animal. You just never know who's turn it will be and generally after one hunter has tagged out now your 1 on 1 with the guide. I don't treat any of my hunters differently I'll push to get them where we need to be, I'll set them up in a position for the best route the animals will travel for a shot when calling. If it was me I'd do the hunt and enjoy every minute of it, who knows the other hunter you meet may turn into a friend you can plan future OTC/DIY hunts with. I look forward to every year guiding, getting to meet new people from all over the US with a common passion for hunting.

22lr

WKR
Even if you cant meet up until the trailhead. Come up with a way to determine who shoots first. When I'm hunting with a buddy it's usually who ever spots it gets first shot or if they pass then the other person can see if they want it. Having that laid out up front if going to make it alot easier/less stressful in the heat of the moment. If it's a coin flip, rock paper scissors, or something else... personally I wont start a trip until we have a clearly identified and agreed upon method of who gets dibs. After you identify who has dibs, stick with it, no changing.

Laramie

WKR
I have guided a lot of 2x1 hunts myself. At the start of the hunt, we would have clear communication of responsibilities and who would shoot first. If the two clients hadn't worked that out previously, I would simply do a coin flip. If hunter A had first opportunity day 1, hunter B would have first shot the next day. If the first hunter passed on an animal, the second would have the opportunity. After the first harvest, it turn into a 1x1 hunt. I never had any issues and really can't remember any upset hunters. The key is clear communication prior to the first day in the field.

Never been on a 2x1 guided but I have hunted with friends on multiple occasions. Our outline was the following:

- we agreed to alternate days on whom gets first shot opportunity.

( In your situation I would think making sure the guide/outfitter knows this would help avoid confusion. Also, one may be capable of shooting out to 500yds while the other is only comfortable to 200yds. If that’s the case and the guide can’t close the distance but it’s a harvestable animal, the hunter capable of making the shot gets to shoot. Obviously this discussion should be had prior to hunting.)

- if the person whose turn it was to choose first opted to pass on the animal, then the other member could proceed to hunt the animal if they desired. If they did, they forfeited their 1st choice turn on the following day.

That’s about the extent of it IMO. Personally, I wouldn’t do a 2x1 hunt unless I was with my children. No way I do it with a stranger.

Laramie

WKR
I would also add, a positive attitude will really benefit you in this situation. Don't be that tough to please guy right out of the gate as it can really impact the overall mood of the hunt.

WCB

WKR
I've guided a bunch of 2x1s. including with 2 strangers. Come up with a clear cut way of determining who shoots first and what each guys capabilities and standards are. If there is a shootable animal guy up first makes the decision...I as a guide had an internal time clock and wouldn't allow a guy to just sit looking at an animal until it walked away. I was respectful but asked multiple times to make sure. I also, asked the back up hunter as soon as the first guy showed signs of hesitating if he would be interested if the first guy turned it down. I did not like rotating days but some clients did that on their own.

it's a tough one.

hunter A has first dibs one day. hunter A passes up a shot. hunter B takes on the shot but misses. does hunter B get first dibs the next day?

If I'm running the hunt...NO..Hunter B has had his chance and blew it. It is back to A. Same if both guys pass guy A is up again. That is why I hate doing the day rotation..you would also have to take into account weather. I liked to just roll "A" guy until he passed or got a chance and kills/misses.

BFR

WKR
Don’t overthink it, just plan to have fun. I’ve never been on a guided hunt but have been in your situation on a Alaskan Salmon trip. Communication is key, see if the outfitter will put you in touch with your “partner” so you can get to know each other and make a plan. You just might find a new hunting partner too.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
It would honestly be a deal breaker for me. I have done lots of bird hunting with randoms and watching most people shoot or lack there of gets to be painful. Its also painful at the lack of gun ettiquite and saftey most people have. Its also painful when you have a claimer in the group. We have figured that out though we just stack their claimed birds in from of them and when they hit their limit they get shut down. Hunting with my brothers is the exact opposite now the 3 of us will shoot into a flock 5 birds will fall and only 2 get claimed. The 2 that couldnt be anybody elses as they were the only person shooting.

With big game hunting someone is going to shoot the bigger animal. Someone is going to get their feelings hurt. The only time it seems to work out is with family and even then its dodgy. I would have very clear discussion on who shoots first like others said. At the end of the day its hunting and just because you shot first doesnt mean you got to shoot the biggest. Its hard to hunt with randoms because they may not be on the same level as you. How would you feel if he burned 1/2 day screwing around because he was tired and you were ready to go. How would you feel if he was all go and you just want to take it slow and have an easy hunt and he is always pushing you?

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I would also add, a positive attitude will really benefit you in this situation. Don't be that tough to please guy right out of the gate as it can really impact the overall mood of the hunt.
This is spot on...I consider myself a very easy going person (when everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing, haha). So much of hunting for me is challenging myself and embracing the process of adaptation. My goal is to make sure everyone has a solid time in the woods.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Even if you cant meet up until the trailhead. Come up with a way to determine who shoots first. When I'm hunting with a buddy it's usually who ever spots it gets first shot or if they pass then the other person can see if they want it. Having that laid out up front if going to make it alot easier/less stressful in the heat of the moment. If it's a coin flip, rock paper scissors, or something else... personally I wont start a trip until we have a clearly identified and agreed upon method of who gets dibs. After you identify who has dibs, stick with it, no changing.

Yeah, it's a tough situation. He is a good friend and it's been a bit challenging to just let this one roll off my shoulders.

For the hunt I've heard of the 50/50 method, because it's a spot and stalk hunt, the shooter, alternates morning and afternoon. And if the shooter passes on a legal animal the other hunter can step in and take a shot.

OXN939

WKR
Yeah, it's a tough situation. He is a good friend and it's been a bit challenging to just let this one roll off my shoulders.

For the hunt I've heard of the 50/50 method, because it's a spot and stalk hunt, the shooter, alternates morning and afternoon. And if the shooter passes on a legal animal the other hunter can step in and take a shot.

I think the panoply of suggestions above is a good indication of how easily this could go south. I took my dad on a guided hunt a few years ago, and there was one dude in the outfitter's camp who was a complete weirdo and ended up pulling the olde "wrong elk" trick, and killed one he didn't have a tag for... thankfully, my buddy and I were hunting together and he was with another guide, but that would really have ruined a large part of the trip if I had gotten stuck with someone like that.

I feel your situation because a buddy of mine ditched for a BS reason on a hunt we'd been planning for a year. Truly, my criteria for hunting buddies are some of the most stringent I have. Not to say that there aren't a lot of different kinds of good outdoorsmen, but if you're with someone who's in a completely different headspace about the activity or on a different level of physical ability, it makes things way less enjoyable.

22lr

WKR

My $.02, going with a time share on dibs is alot easier to run into trouble. Keep it simple. First person to spot an animal, and if it's the guide that spots it then have a coin flip before you even start so you know who has dibs. If you run time share just be willing to take the high road and understand wierd situations will come up (like stalking a target that was identified in your time slot bit the shot opportunity is in another time slot). I just prefer to keep it super clean and simple to avoid anything like that.

Word of unsolicited advice, if you cant reach an agreement on this... dont sweat it. Assume the other guy will take dibs on animals, be willing to let that happen and just carry on. Dont let it ruin what could be a super cool hunt otherwise. Not everyone is like us and wants to set boundaries up front.

MattB

WKR
My $.02, sounds like you are in the army, so go into it with a good attitude. I would try to have an upbeat conversation with the outfitter in advance so you know what to expect.

A good friend who I really admire has a perspective that there are 2 thing you can control: attitude and effort. Do your best with both and good luck.

WCB

WKR
Something I forgot to mention in my post....It is still your hunt and bring up any concerns you have with the guide or outfitter. Like if the guy is lazy and demands to go back for lunch everyday or takes to long and is causing you to be late in the morning. Be respectful to a point...but don't just go along with it because of the situation. I saw it one time with clients 2x1 (strangers) where one guy was the "alpha" and screwed up a great opportunity for the polite quiet client...did not make for a fun camp after that until we were able to split them up after another hunter killed.

Also, as stated above go into it thinking positve...ask the outfitter a bit about the guy or try to get connected with him before the hunt. I would say easily 99% of clients we had in camp were great to be around and everyone got along just fine and would of had no problem hunting together. Don't know maybe you will find a new hunting partner that won't flake out on you.

wavygravy

FNG
Glad to see this post, funny thing is I'm the stranger in this situation. I was called by an outfitter with a last minute cancellation so I went ahead with it since why not right? I have the same concerns as you and plan to get with the outfitter early and often on how it will work ahead of time. I'm all of a sudden busting my ass working out and getting my shooting back to par since I dont want to be the weak link once we're in the field.

Also curious about those that want to go back to camp for lunch everyday. I'm big on staying out as much as possible to increase our chances. Hopefully it goes as well as expected and we all walk away happy with a pile of meat.

Good luck on your hunt!