3 Blade Broadhead For Elk?

JMichigan

FNG
I'm looking to add a good 3 Blade Broadhead to the quiver for better blood trails. My current setup is 61# Mathews Traverse 28.5" draw, TAW-480 grains, Easton Axis 5mm 28", 150 gr ironwill with 15 grain insert and 10 grain collar for 175 upfront. I'm considering a total overhaul of my setup to get a littler more speed for a flatter trajectory. I'm going to be switching to RIP TKO for a lighter GPI shaft to get the speed up. For three blades options I have been considering QAD Exodus 125gr with heavier inserts, Tuffhead Evolution 3blade 150 gr or Valkyrie Bloodeage 150 gr with the current light insert setup.

I have used the Exodus in the past and it was a great head. The only thing holding me back is having to buy new inserts to meet that goal of 175 upfront and the investment I have in ironwill 150s. I've never had inserts fail even the cheap standard aluminum ones. I've only had ferrule failures (not with an exodus but other 125 grain heads), which was why I went to a 150 grain head. I really wish exodus would have a 150 grain head haha, because that is the only reason I'm considering dropping back down to 125. I like the materials that are commonly used in heavier heads like the valkyrie or tuffheads.

I've seen a lot of great reviews on the Valkyrie bloodeagle, but I haven't seen much on the Tuffhead. I watched John Lusks reviews and the penetration with the Tuffhead was less than I expected.

I'm wondering if anyone has had real world experience on elk with a long 3 blade? How was the blood trails? How is the flight on longer heads like a valkyrie or tuffhead?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're switching arrows already to the RIP TKO's it's real easy to put some brass HIT's in them and use either 100gr Exodus + 75gr HIT's, or 125gr Exodus and 50gr HIT's. Or you could even still use your 150gr IW's and use the regular 16gr HIT's. Lots of options.

I use RIP TKO's with 75gr brass HIT's and 125gr Exodus and GR Fatal Steel heads.

Yooper

WKR
If you're switching arrows already to the RIP TKO's it's real easy to put some brass HIT's in them and use either 100gr Exodus + 75gr HIT's, or 125gr Exodus and 50gr HIT's. Or you could even still use your 150gr IW's and use the regular 16gr HIT's. Lots of options.
This is what I did as well. RIP TKO's with a 75gr brass HIIT and 125gr IW solids. Hard hitting arrow without getting too crazy on the total weight.

I don't think you will see a huge difference in blood trail between a 1 1/8" 3 blade, and your Iron Will heads. Besides, until you're in the realm of 2"+ mech heads, blood trails are fairly random... but mostly affected by shot placement. Shoot them low and forward, you are more likely to have more blood.

Marble

WKR
How much weight do you want to cut and what speed do you want to be at?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG

I use RIP TKO's with 75gr brass HIT's and 125gr Exodus and GR Fatal Steel heads.
That’s the problem, tons of options haha. I would like to have a mixed quiver with two blade/3 blade so if I dropped down into the 125 I’ll have to get new ironwills. Just curious if anyone has experience with the Valkyrie or tuffhead that way I don’t have to worry about buying a new two blade broadhead too.

I don't think you will see a huge difference in blood trail between a 1 1/8" 3 blade, and your Iron Will heads. Besides, until you're in the realm of 2"+ mech heads, blood trails are fairly random... but mostly affected by shot placement. Shoot them low and forward, you are more likely to have more blood.
Shot placement is for sure key. I’ve killed 5 bucks with ironwill and none of them have made ran more than 100 yards. I always have a hard time finding that initial blood for the first 10-20 yards. From my memory it just seemed like the three blades on exit punched a decent hole, so it was always easy to get on blood right away.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG

Probably get it down into the 450 and hopefully get it up closer to 270fps. 30 grains probably only going to gain 3-4 fps but it should put me closer to 270fps. Just feel getting flatter trajectory with still decent weight, even if its a minimal change will give a little more piece of mind for the chance an elk/deer takes a few steps and don’t have time to range.

Exodus work very well. Can't comment on the others.

Haven't lost a blade from one yet, despite hitting spine + humerus on a 200# Whitetail and penetrating into the femur on a frontal shot elk.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
I'd suggest looking at the same Iron Will components in Titanium and using a RIP XV arrow at 6-7gr per inch instead of the Easton's at 9gr per inch.

How are the durability of those shafts? Getting the GPI that low would definitely get that trajectory flatter. I should’ve noted, im currently using the ironwill titanium insert/collar to get my 150 grain broadheads to a total weight of 175 upfront. It’s a great combo.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
Big fan of the RMS 3 blade
Those look nice too. What size are you using? I’d be interested to know what size and how they fly. I always tune my bow to the broadhead, but I have noticed some heads perform better when I don’t have perfect form. Which is my concern with the Valkyrie and tuffhead, that they may not be forgiving.

150’s. I’ve never had a problem. RMS is great people, they go above a beyond to help. Call them up.

If all you're wanting is a slight reduction in total arrow weight, you would be money ahead to keep your current arrows, sell your 150 gr Iron Will heads, replace them with 125 gr IW's, and buy whatever 125 gr 3-blade heads you want to try. You could remove the collar (depending on how you secured it) and/or trim the rear end of the arrow if you wanted to shave more than 25 gr. It also may be worth testing out some lighter field points first to see if the speed/trajectory gain is really worth all the expense/hassle you're considering.

FWIW I doubt a 3-blade fixed head will produce appreciably better blood trails than a 2-blade IW with bleeders.

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
I killed a bunch of elk, caribou, and deer with the original 3 blade Muzzy (pre-Rage) and also a couple with the 3 blade VPA. I'm shooting IWs now. On a clean broadside pass through I never honestly saw much difference in blood trails between the 3 blade and the IW with similar placement. But most of my shots end up lodged in the offside shoulder because I like to pick my angle quartering away whenever possible.

All of those heads you're considering are very good. Tuning and placement are far more important variables.

CB4

WKR
Iron Will
Grim Reaper Micro Hades Pro
RMS 3 Blade

I have shot all 3 and get them all to shoot the same out to 90 yards. The top 2 are what will be in my quiver this year.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
If all you're wanting is a slight reduction in total arrow weight, you would be money ahead to keep your current arrows, sell your 150 gr Iron Will heads, replace them with 125 gr IW's, and buy whatever 125 gr 3-blade heads you want to try. You could remove the collar (depending on how you secured it) and/or trim the rear end of the arrow if you wanted to shave more than 25 gr. It also may be worth testing out some lighter field points first to see if the speed/trajectory gain is really worth all the expense/hassle you're considering.

FWIW I doubt a 3-blade fixed head will produce appreciably better blood trails than a 2-blade IW with

FWIW I doubt a 3-blade fixed head will produce appreciably better blood trails than a 2-blade IW with bleeders.
With my setup the 175 upfront tunes really nice at that 340 spine. That’s why I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Valkyrie or tuffhead 150s. All I would need to change is a lighter gpi arrow. And that’s a good point about if it’s worth it, im not sure haha. The only head I really would try in the three blade in 125 is exodus. So far, it’s seeming that it’s just not worth it to even go three blade and keep the broadhead component setup the same and change arrows. Thank you for your suggestions

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
Iron Will
Grim Reaper Micro Hades Pro
RMS 3 Blade

I have shot all 3 and get them all to shoot the same out to 90 yards. The top 2 are what will be in my quiver this year.
I’ve heard good thing a about the micro hades. What size are you shooting? The micro hades come in 150 so that maybe a good option

CB4

WKR
125 grain 3 blade. They are all 1 1/16" cutting diameter.

They are super sharp and pretty durable for being a "replaceable" broadhead.