3 Blade Broadhead For Elk?

DanimalW

WKR
What spine arrow are you currently shooting? You might be able to drop down spine and gpi dropping down your broadhead weight.

Dejhavu

FNG
I have day six evo's in the quiver right now which as far as penetration with the arrow set up I am running shouldn't be an issue one bit. However, the thought of creating a larger wound channel is appealing to me. I've been tossing the 3-4 blade idea around but I definitely love me some 2 blade.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
What spine arrow are you currently shooting? You might be able to drop down spine and gpi dropping down your broadhead weight.
340s. It sucks, with my setup if I drop to 400s I’ll need to cut them to down to 26 to tune. That short and the collars will touch my launcher on my rest. My friend has the archers advantage and ran the configurations to see how short I need to go if I went that route. Other than changing to RIP TKO or similar gpi arrow I would have to up my draw weight to get a flatter trajectory. Since I’m a little stuff on my current setup I have some room to increase poundage and stick with 340s. I’m hesitant to go that route, because I’ve already had one shoulder surgery and 60# I can shoot all day without irritating my shoulder.

DanimalW

WKR
340s. It sucks, with my setup if I drop to 400s I’ll need to cut them to down to 26 to tune. That short and the collars will touch my launcher on my rest. My friend has the archers advantage and ran the configurations to see how short I need to go if I went that route. Other than changing to RIP TKO or similar gpi arrow I would have to up my draw weight to get a flatter trajectory. Since I’m a little stuff on my current setup I have some room to increase poundage and stick with 340s. I’m hesitant to go that route, because I’ve already had one shoulder surgery and 60# I can shoot all day without irritating my shoulder.
You’ll lose about 20 grains going to the TKO. You could drop to 125 gr head and cut 45 gr there. I’d probably just stop to 100 gr head though and work with your insert or collar weights.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That’s the problem, tons of options haha. I would like to have a mixed quiver with two blade/3 blade
You could do that with the 175gr up front weight with the 125gr Exodus and 50gr brass HIT's, and 166gr up front weight with the 150gr IW's and 16gr regular HIT's. That's only 9gr difference. You're not going to see much difference at bow ranges with only 9gr difference between the two. They're both going to impact inside a 3" bullseye out to 60 at least.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
You could do that with the 175gr up front weight with the 125gr Exodus and 50gr brass HIT's, and 166gr up front weight with the 150gr IW's and 16gr regular HIT's. That's only 9gr difference. You're not going to see much difference at bow ranges with only 9gr difference between the two. They're both going to impact inside a 3" bullseye out to 60 at least.
That’s a great idea. Just mark the fletchings that have the heavy insert.

Marble

WKR
@JMichigan

I really hope you find the setup you are looking for. I'm just not really sure what you are trying to achieve, with the parameters you've set, will give the results you're looking for.

I recall adding 50 grains to my set up and at 50 yards it only dropped a little more than my other arrow. It was not significant.

I have had two shoulder surgeries and understand your struggle. I have to continually do shoulder workouts to keep my shoulder in good shape. It's never 100% but it works.

If you have the ability to just try adding a few pounds of draw weight to your bow, it may be all you need. It seems to me to be the easiest solution.

You can always turn it back down.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
@JMichigan

I really hope you find the setup you are looking for. I'm just not really sure what you are trying to achieve, with the parameters you've set, will give the results you're looking for.

I recall adding 50 grains to my set up and at 50 yards it only dropped a little more than my other arrow. It was not significant.

I have had two shoulder surgeries and understand your struggle. I have to continually do shoulder workouts to keep my shoulder in good shape. It's never 100% but it works.

If you have the ability to just try adding a few pounds of draw weight to your bow, it may be all you need. It seems to me to be the easiest solution.

You can always turn it back down.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
You’re right, probably won’t see much difference. I’m just always looking to improve each year to increase the odds of success, even if it’s not a huge change. I agree and I’m considering bumping up to #65. That would help a ton.

I went down the rabbit hole of speed, but really was curious if anyone had experience with the tuffhead 3 blade or Valkyrie. Going with one of those heads, all I would change would be arrows. With the QAD being 125 I would have to change inserts too to get that desired weight upfront. I may end up just doing that as someone suggested. Finished weights will be the same I will just have two different arrows with different insert and broadhead weights.

Felix40

WKR
It’s hard for me to see how adding complexity with two similar but different arrow types will lead to your goal of “increasing odds of success”.

Those long 3 blades won’t fly as good as what you are shooting and I doubt you will see any quantifiable increase in blood on the ground.

I settled on 100 grain broadheads for this exact reason. When you want to try a different one it’s easy. I would suggest going to a basic 100 grain broadhead if you are going to the trouble of buying and tuning all new arrows. Then next year when you go to tinker with stuff you will have options that are more simple.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
It’s hard for me to see how adding complexity with two similar but different arrow types will lead to your goal of “increasing odds of success”.

Those long 3 blades won’t fly as good as what you are shooting and I doubt you will see any quantifiable increase in blood on the ground.

I settled on 100 grain broadheads for this exact reason. When you want to try a different one it’s easy. I would suggest going to a basic 100 grain broadhead if you are going to the trouble of buying and tuning all new arrows. Then next year when you go to tinker with stuff you will have options that are more simple.

Definitely a lot options in 100 and I still have some when I first started archery. I moved to 150s because of the ferrules are usually stronger. I had Magnus stinger in 100gr and a ferrule busted after it lodge into the offset shoulder. I just know QAD Exodus is a great head and would be the only reason to have a 125gr head in the quiver. It's been a while since I used a 3 bladed Broadhead and I can't recall what blood trails were like. But like you said and others feedback, its seeming like it won't improve much.

I'm just the type that never stops striving to do better. After each season I reflect on what I could've done differently with, tactics, scouting, setups, etc. The appealing thing of having Exodus in the quiver is that in michigan I've lost a fair share of arrows shooting bucks in the swamps here. It doesn't hurt as much losing an Exodus vs Ironwill haha. Regardless of the head 125 or 150, going down to RIP TKO will just help with trajectory even if its minimal. Another factor I'm considering with dropping arrow weight is bumping up poundage. Between those two factors it should put me above 270 fps which I would be more than happy with for a good combination of weight and speed.

Overall, I was just curious about the Tuffhead and Bloodeage and how they may compare to a QAD Exodus. And, if anyone had experience with those two larger heads on elk.

Felix40

WKR
Definitely a lot options in 100 and I still have some when I first started archery. I moved to 150s because of the ferrules are usually stronger. I had Magnus stinger in 100gr and a ferrule busted after it lodge into the offset shoulder. I just know QAD Exodus is a great head and would be the only reason to have a 125gr head in the quiver. It's been a while since I used a 3 bladed Broadhead and I can't recall what blood trails were like. But like you said and others feedback, its seeming like it won't improve much.

I'm just the type that never stops striving to do better. After each season I reflect on what I could've done differently with, tactics, scouting, setups, etc. The appealing thing of having Exodus in the quiver is that in michigan I've lost a fair share of arrows shooting bucks in the swamps here. It doesn't hurt as much losing an Exodus vs Ironwill haha. Regardless of the head 125 or 150, going down to RIP TKO will just help with trajectory even if its minimal. Another factor I'm considering with dropping arrow weight is bumping up poundage. Between those two factors it should put me above 270 fps which I would be more than happy with for a good combination of weight and speed.

Overall, I was just curious about the Tuffhead and Bloodeage and how they may compare to a QAD Exodus. And, if anyone had experience with those two larger heads on elk.
A 150 magnus stinger has an al ferrule too. It’s a little thicker but I’ve bent plenty of them even with a traditional bow. There are plenty of 100 grain compound appropriate broadheads with steel ferrules that will hold up better.

I still think someone who likes changing broadheads all the time would be best served setting up for 100 grains. JMO.

WAKAN

FNG
I switched from 125 razortricks 2 seasons ago to Valkyrie 185. The Valkyrie system flies like darts and penetration and head strength is phenomenal in my experiences. Attached is a picture of a head that blew through point of shoulder, through lungs and broke off in offside shoulder on a follow up shot on my bull this year. Will be able to sharpen it up and shoot another bull with it. I am totally sold on this setup. Expensive but so is all the time off work and everything else I put into this passion 😀

Attachments

• 20220911_103542.jpg
    20220911_103542.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 26