3 pin slider set up.

grfox92

WKR
Life long eastern bowhunter here. I spent 20 years shooting whitetails out of treestand and almost always had a single pin slider for that type of hunting.

Now I live in Wyoming and hunt elk, mule deer and antelope every year. That has led me to a MBG Asscent 3 pin.

So I have some questions for the experienced western guys. How would you set your 3 pins? 20,30,40? 25,35,45? Something like 25, 45, 55?

I think most shots will be with in 20-45 yards based on the few bowhunters I've talked to from out west. So how I stagger my pins seems like it would be personal preference. Unless there is an advantage to having a fixed 25 yard pin and then 2 pins for longer distance, but that setup seems like something advantageous to a set up with no ability to slide or adjust on the fly.

I decided on 25, 35, 45, but figured I would ask here before making my final decision.

Thanks,

Gary

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What did you set your one pin at? If you try and start at another yardage there's a high chance you'll forget at go time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
What did you set your one pin at? If you try and start at another yardage there's a high chance you'll forget at go time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
It's been a few years since I had that set up so not too much of a concern, but usually 25 yards. I am leaning heavily towards 25, 35, 45.

I've been down the same path you're wondering right now. I tried several sights myself before settling on a spot Hogg fast Eddie double pin. It's a single pin that has two fiber optics on it and two different indicators for what yardage. I walk around with it set on the top fiber being 20 yards and the bottom being 40. It's pretty effective to gap shoot for 30 with practice. Then I have the luxury of adjusting if I have time the time and desire to shoot further.

Attachments

• IMG_3002.jpeg
    IMG_3002.jpeg
    738.9 KB · Views: 15

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt mainly in the east with usually one western hunt/year most years. The past couple years I've had my MBG 3 pin set to 25, 40, 50. It's worked fine and I was fine with shooting that gap for most hunting scenarios but I just added a 4th pin to make it 20, 30, 40, 50. The 3 pin was fine and did what I needed it to but I think I will like the 4 much better.

Life long eastern bowhunter here. I spent 20 years shooting whitetails out of treestand and almost always had a single pin slider for that type of hunting.

Now I live in Wyoming and hunt elk, mule deer and antelope every year. That has led me to a MBG Asscent 3 pin.

So I have some questions for the experienced western guys. How would you set your 3 pins? 20,30,40? 25,35,45? Something like 25, 45, 55?

I think most shots will be with in 20-45 yards based on the few bowhunters I've talked to from out west. So how I stagger my pins seems like it would be personal preference. Unless there is an advantage to having a fixed 25 yard pin and then 2 pins for longer distance, but that setup seems like something advantageous to a set up with no ability to slide or adjust on the fly.

I decided on 25, 35, 45, but figured I would ask here before making my final decision.

Thanks,

Gary

I'm a long-time user and fanboy of MBG dialup sights. For Western hunting I use 4 pins (20, 30, 40, 50 yds.) with the 50 being my dialup/floater. I've experimented with 3 pin setups as well (20, 30, 40 and 25, 35, 45) and they work as well. It's personal preference which configuration you go with. With 4 pins I find that it lessens the need/frequency for "re-dialing" on wary moving game like elk. Being familiar with my arrow's trajectory I don't even dialup until the game or paper target is beyond 55 yds. A 3 pin setup does give you less sight clutter especially if you are shooting a fast bow but not a big deal.

Last edited:
OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I'm a long-time user and fanboy of MBG dialup sights. For Western hunting I use 4 pins (20, 30, 40, 50 yds.) with the 50 being my dialup/floater. I've experimented with 3 pin setups as well (20, 30, 40 and 25, 35, 45) and they work as well. It's personal preference which configuration you go with. With 4 pins I find that it lessens the need/frequency for "re-dialing" on wary moving game like elk. Being familiar with my arrow's trajectory I don't even dialup until the game or paper target is being 55 yds. A 3 pin setup does give you less sight clutter especially if you are shooting a fast bow but not a big deal.
I shot a fixed 5 pin last year and hated it. I find the sight picture too crowded. I figure 3 pins is a good compromise. I like the single pin slider the best but when hunting archery elk things happen way to fast and I feel I need more fixed pins.

I shot a fixed 5 pin last year and hated it. I find the sight picture too crowded. I figure 3 pins is a good compromise. I like the single pin slider the best but when hunting archery elk things happen way to fast and I feel I need more fixed pins.

I agree, 5 pins is alot of sight picture clutter. You can always purchase a MBG 3 pin and later add a 4th pin to experiment. For me the 4 pin setup is the sweet spot as it lessens re-dialing frequency on moving game.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Shot 4 pin slider for years, live in the west, have a great wi. Farm. Make the 40 pin, the only different color, less confusion.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Does anyone know of MBG makes an .010 pin. If I ever tried a 4th pin that I would dial for distance, I would want it small.

Norm555

WKR
Does anyone know of MBG makes an .010 pin. If I ever tried a 4th pin that I would dial for distance, I would want it small.

Yes, they make .010 pins. I have a 5 pin slider and use the .010 for the bottom 2 pins.

Elk97

WKR
I have a 3 pin set at 20'30'40. I practice out to 60 without moving the slider and I figure if I'm actually going to shoot at 60 I'll have time to move the sight. Hitting at 50 using the 40 pin is easy to get used to and seems like most shots are <40.

entropy

FNG
I'm currently in the same dilemma. Spent last year using a 5 pin, and wanted to go back to 3 pin this year.

I think I'm going to look at it the same way you look at max point blank range for a gun with the top pin. Elk have a pretty tall vital zone, so I think I'm comfortable with the arrow never being more than 3" above the pin before it gets to the range it's set for. I'm not sure exactly what range that will be, but whatever it is, I'll set that pin there and worry about the bottom two based on where the top pin is.