30 cal 180 Accubond results bear.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So the goal was to kill a bear which he did, the bullet held together at close range which is a huge testament to the bullet. So I would say your context of being too much gun is in fact utterly useless.
A need to argue against a painfully obvious joke that has twice been stated to be one is utterly useless. Especially given that you are basically paraphrasing what I already said.
...clearly the OPs selection got the job of killing done, it is only too much gun in his case if he finds the lack of an exit would unacceptable....because in the end the bullet still performed well.

Sure looks like the Accubond mushroomed nicely, penetrated well, and retained a nice portion of it's weight. Looks like pretty darn good performance to me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Painfully obvious yet nobody else knew it was a joke
"Nobody else," good to know you can read everyone's minds, though I must ask, have you actually read this thread in its entirety?

But, let's address the topic at hand. You feel bullet selection and too much gun are "2 very different things".

Can you please support that statement and explain why? Or, is this really just about trolling?

bmart2622

WKR
Ill answer your question and then you can go back under your bridge. My 300 ultra is not too much gun for deer....I shoot 230 Bergers out of it. A 300 ultra shooting a 168 VLD is the wrong bullet. My 300 ultra shooting 230 Bergers is too much gun to shoot a Duiker. Pretty simple, 2 very different things

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ill answer your question and then you can go back under your bridge. My 300 ultra is not too much gun for deer....I shoot 230 Bergers out of it. A 300 ultra shooting a 168 VLD is the wrong bullet. My 300 ultra shooting 230 Bergers is too much gun to shoot a Duiker. Pretty simple, 2 very different things
That is not a definition, so it does not answer the question. It also relies heavily on bullet selection (which you argued was TWO "very different things).

Also, why is it too much gun for a duiker? Be specific, it might help you come up with a workable definition.

By the way, a yellow-backed duiker tends to be larger than the sitka blacktail I have hunted. So your example does not even help define your intent as it is written.

bmart2622

WKR
Well by your definition a 300 wm is too big for a black bear so using your logic an ultra mag would be too big for a Duiker

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well by your definition a 300 wm is too big for a black bear so using your logic an ultra mag would be too big for a Duiker
No.

To me, too much gun is when the selected cartridge does not provide the desired results due to more velocity/energy/size than is needed. Or, if the shooter can no longer deliver the round to the target due to trouble managing the recoil.

If one can afford it and has a shoulder that will hold up to it, a 50 bmg is not too much gun for prairie dogs, if one just wants them dead (does anyone eat prairie dogs?). However, a 223 is probably too much gun for rabbits if one wants to eat them or sell the fur (obviously range, bullet, and powder load effects this).

I have no problem with people using 338 win mags or 375s on little sitka blacktails. I want to start hunting ptarmigan for meat with a 223, as long as I just take their head off it is not too much gun, if I make a body shot it certainly would be.

bmart2622

WKR
And what I am saying is that you cant condemn the caliber as "too big" without looking at the bullet selection

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
And what I am saying is that you cant condemn the caliber as "too big" without looking at the bullet selection
But I did not condemn the "caliber" or even the cartridge as "too big."

For the record the caliber of a 30-06 and a 300 win mag is the EXACT SAME.

Frankly, at this point you are arguing to argue and not bothering to read what is written, I'm done talking in circles with someone who resorts to insults.