30 cal elk and deer bullet

buffybr

FNG
...I'f at all possible, I head / neck shoot for instant drop...
Years ago a bunch of us from work went on a whitetail deer and pheasant hunt in NE Montana. Two of the guys (twin brothers) each shot whitetail bucks in their heads and lost them. A deer brain is a very small target!

Another year I shot a whitetail buck in NW Montana. When I was butchering him, I found a .35 caliber bullet lodged against one of his vertebrae bones. It was an old wound that had completely healed on the outside, showing no indication of a hit.

The bullet cup and lead core had separated with the lead lodged against the bone and the meat muscle completely healed around the bullet. The bullet's copper jacket was completerly enclosed in some tipe of membrane.

sdupontjr

WKR
Thats crazy. I shoot a lot and have my loads really dialed in to more than what I post on here. But I have to tell the local "weekend warrior" that I'm not shooting factory ammo to do this. I have seen a few circuses where the damn bottom of the jaw is blown off. Now the animal suffered because it couldn't eat properly. Everyone I have shot is a pass through, I never recover the bullet. Even when I aim for the neck area, the spine is snapped and no recovery of bullet. I've only recovered a few when shooting behind the front shoulder. The 8pt I mentioned was shot right behind left front shoulder, it exited the right front shoulder and he still ran off 50 yards or so. I mainly use the 130 ttsx in my 308 prob 3000+ fps.

buffybr

FNG
I've shot at least 40 North American, African, and New Zealand animals with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets from my .300 Weatherby and .375 and have only recovered 8 bullets. I also only shoot handloads and all of them from both of these rifles will 3-shot group moa or better.

bpctcb

WKR
I commend you on your ability not to see color. Racism has no place in our society.

P
This is an asshat comment. No need to joke about the vision he was born with.
I was born with a birth defect in both eyes which affects my daily life. I don’t appreciate when someone makes fun of my condition and I bet the OP feels the same about his vision.

BP

I was born with a birth defect in both eyes which affects my daily life. I don’t appreciate when someone makes fun of my condition and I bet the OP feels the same about his vision.

BP
Absolutely go with bpctb on this one. Has nothing to do with the thread, and, regardless of where you come from taste is questionable. Then a real cool clip from Stripes is the response, lol... The poster with color blindness did nothing to have that impairment, nor did poster the birth defect. And comparing that with reference to race, WTF? Flame away.

sdupontjr

WKR
As i mentioned earlier, I too a red/green color blind. And I have to admit, I chuckled a little. It didn't bother me one bit. But to each his own and people are affected differently. At 51, I learn to let stuff roll off my back and enjoy life, because it's too short. Now back in the day, I was tormented, teased and the center of jokes because i couldn't pass or participate in certain projects in school because if it. So while I'm sure Pharm's intentions was to lighten the situation, I just read it like any other post on the web.

Now the question arises here I can load the 215 berger in both my 300 prc and my 300 wsm (long action)

Will it go through at shoulder at 100 yards though? I cannot see blood and prefer to high shoulder them if I can.
30-30 on Elk

Ive been searching the net trying to decide on bullets, calibers, etc cause I want a new toy and found this video....kind of goes along with all the threads on here for the 223, 6mm etc. Guy does a very good job testing a 30-30 with numerous different bullets and loadings, but, what blew my mind was the end of the video and the yardage at which the girl made the shot. The video even shows what the bullet did while dressing the animal. The guy also shows bullet expansion at different yardages and the velocity at impact.

BP

Absolutely go with bpctb on this one. Has nothing to do with the thread, and, regardless of where you come from taste is questionable. Then a real cool clip from Stripes is the response, lol... The poster with color blindness did nothing to have that impairment, nor did poster the birth defect. And comparing that with reference to race, WTF? Flame away.

My sense of humor is occasionally misunderstood, so I reached out to the OP to offer an apology, if an apology were warranted.

He thought my comment was funny.

So thicken up, ladies.

P

edit to add, my apologies if I misgendered any of you

Overdrive

WKR
I like Berger bullets for longer range (have 2 rifles set up with Hunting VLD's) but anything under 200 and large bone or shoulder I don't like. In my 300 Wthby I prefer 180 grain Accubonds or partitions they just get the job done if I'm shooting at close range in the timber or for those longer range shots.

Now the question arises here I can load the 215 berger in both my 300 prc and my 300 wsm (long action)

Will it go through at shoulder at 100 yards though? I cannot see blood and prefer to high shoulder them if I can.
High shoulder shot is exactly what that style bullet was intended for.