.30 Cal Selection

Dwest910

FNG
All,

I have a selection between a gunwerks clymer 30 nosler (22” barrel) and a gunwerks Magnus 300prc (23” barrel). The 30nos will be 8lbs 4oz where the Magnus will be 10lb 3oz (both fully loaded).

l plan to be hunting anything from sheep to moose with it up here in Canada. I do realize I will lack velocity in both cartridges due to the shorter barrels, but both will be used mainly for hunting verses ELR matches.

If you were to pick one, what would you go with given you only had those two selections. Is the calibre a mute point, would it more come down to the weight?

Thanks for everyone’s advice, I appreciate all who replies.

Forest

WKR
My vote is the 30 nosler, not that theres a lot of difference between the two really but the nosler should provide a bit more speed. Also that prc is getting on the heavy side. That's what I'd do, but the decision really is yours....

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
I would go with the lighter one. If your shots are not going to be insanely long, getting a little less muzzle velocity wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Having to tote around a heavy gun in the mountains sucks, my first trip ever "packin in" I had the wise idea of taking a Remington Sendero with me. NEVER AGAIN!
But have you thought about a Tikka.....sorry just couldn't resist.

There was a good review on 30s a little while back.

Go with the rifle chambered in 30 Nosler due to the weight savings. The Nosler will have better ballistics but the PRC should have better barrel life.

JCooper

FNG
I would also take the lighter 30 Nosler. Almost 2 pounds. That’s a bunch of dead weight.