300 prc build complete. What groups are you getting?

Finally picked up my 300 prc and got the scope mounted up. Spent this week working on loads and may have found a good recipe. Still may try and tweak it if possible. So far I have around 45-50 rounds down the tube. Gun was built by Alonso precision rifles and it turned out flawless.

300 prc
Defiance anti x action
Bartlein m24 CF 26” 1:9
Manners eh1
Hawkins m5 dbm flush mount
Trigger tech pro (11 ounces)
Ti 3 five port brake (great recoil reducer)
NF nx8 FFP 4-32x50 mil xt
Nightforce extreme ultralite 6 screw (mid)
Atlas cal bipod

6e7ccfaf2f31610dd0e63599360105bb.jpg

At this point it’s shooting right at 1/4 moa at 100. Being in this scorching Texas heat, we have to shoot at night to cut the mirage for groups. Anyone getting tighter groups with a setup like this? Just curious when to call it good enough. This is my first CF barrel and long action.

Lapua virgin brass full length neck sized and .307 mandrel
Fed 215 primer
78 grain h1000
Berger 215 seated 25 thousandths off jam
2925 FPS

bbde5ecbe66bb05357cd8a17d842eacf.jpg

Two red x hits were during load development

9ba4c5c489b9e46dbdd3def19d3f7abf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a very similar gun, shooting a very similar load. If mine would have come out from the start like that, I'd probably have settled. Shoot it at 600 and if it holds sub 2" for a three shot group you are good to go.

That group could likely be improved with some tweaking, but "is it worth it?". That's something that only you can decide based on what you're trying to and how many components you are sitting on. I'm getting about 2900fps out of a 24" Brux with 79.32 grains of H1000 and .016 jump on a 215 Berger.

Attachments

• 20220703_114121.jpg
    20220703_114121.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 46
OP
ddavis_1313
I have a very similar gun, shooting a very similar load. If mine would have come out from the start like that, I'd probably have settled. Shoot it at 600 and if it holds sub 2" for a three shot group you are good to go.

That group could likely be improved with some tweaking, but "is it worth it?". That's something that only you can decide based on what you're trying to and how many components you are sitting on. I'm getting about 2900fps out of a 24" Brux with 79.32 grains of H1000 and .016 jump on a 215 Berger.

Plan is to shoot at 500 soon and see what it does. Granted, I’m less than 50 shots in. I don’t think the barrel has sped up yet. I’m sure it can be tweaked. Im a novice loader so I’d have research to see what I could do. It’s just a matter of having time to get loads stuffed and get to the range before we head to Alaska in 3 weeks.

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
Now thats a nice rig for sure. Following. Im interested in doing a build like yours. Keep us posted how it does. And I agree with the above. Shoot it at 500 and see what it looks like. 500 seems to be the magic number.

OP
ddavis_1313
Now thats a nice rig for sure. Following. Im interested in doing a build like yours. Keep us posted how it does. And I agree with the above. Shoot it at 500 and see what it looks like. 500 seems to be the magic number.

I’ll for sure keep you guys posted. I’m sure I can tighten up the group even more. We got it to 1/4 moa and didn’t go any further. I may not have time to mess with it between now and Alaska in 3 weeks but I’d like to see what it can do. I doubt I go as far as neck turning brass though. I may play with some seating depth and powder though. I’m limited on berger 215’s so I’m not wanting to go through them too fast. The guy helping my with load development shot a .2” group with berger 205 vld’s with same seating depth and 1 more grain of powder. This really has been a great gun so far. The more I shoot it the more smooth and crisp the action gets. It’s a joy to shoot too.

78.4gr H1000 with Hornady 212gr ELD-X in Lapua brass set up 0.015” off the lands gives me consistent 1/2MOA out to 300 with my CA ELR.

I’d be super happy with 1/4” MOA.

OP
ddavis_1313
Group update.

ALWAYS SHOOT AT DISTANCE TO VERIFY DOPE!

Had to put that there. Was hitting 9 inches low at 500 after dialing. Took an hour but found the mistake. User data entry error in my kestrel. Lol

1fa5e1529682a7d8b43d58892c167e57.jpg

Pretty sure the low hit was me. Felt like it on the shot anyways. But I ain’t gonna split those hairs. After I get back from Alaska, I’ll do some fine tuning for fun and play with powder and see what it does and gets any tighter. Those are 3” squares for reference. Just shy of 2” group.

Seeknelk

WKR
Anything under 1/2 inch is phenomenal from a light magnum. And going smaller won't gain much. If you have very low ES with a tight group like that , I wouldn't waste shooting time, components and barrel life, trying to beat that...just shoot a lot at various ranges proving the crap out of it and learning it in and out. Which I'm sure you already are...guns like that are fun.

I'd be surprised if you could find many high end comp shooters that felt they could reliably shoot tighter than 1/4 MOA with a hunting weight 300 magnum so I'd agree that it's a waste of components and barrel life trying to tighten it up.

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
Wow!!! Love it! I agree. Get that scope dialed in and your good to go. Shoot it if you feel like it. The more you shoot the better you’ll get. I say push it past 500 and see where your at. Hell why not. Btw I’m copping your load data for future reference. Keep us posted and good luck

OP
ddavis_1313
If I tinker with the load it won’t be much. And it won’t be until the barrel settles which may be another 50-75 rounds. And by tweaking, it would be adding 2 tenths and 4 tenths for 3 shot groups and seeing what it does. I’d like to see impact tighter vertically but it may not change much. Sucks bc I’m shooting berger 215’s and only have about 140 of those left. Sure hoping to come across some that aren’t 2x retail. I only need 1000 of them. That’s not too much to ask! Lol

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
If I tinker with the load it won’t be much. And it won’t be until the barrel settles which may be another 50-75 rounds. And by tweaking, it would be adding 2 tenths and 4 tenths for 3 shot groups and seeing what it does. I’d like to see impact tighter vertically but it may not change much. Sucks bc I’m shooting berger 215’s and only have about 140 of those left. Sure hoping to come across some that aren’t 2x retail. I only need 1000 of them. That’s not too much to ask! Lol

I have some Berger 167 vld hunters for a 300 wsm. Do you think they are too lite for a 300 prc. From what I am reading the 215 seems to be the bullet of choice as far as weight. Thoughts?

Last edited: