300 win mag factory elk ammo

vtmooser

FNG
I'm a first time elk hunter shooting a christansen ridgeline ti 300 win mag and was what factory ammo to use on shoots under 350yds

Forest

WKR
Not much factory ammo out there that wouldn't work on an elk at that range, really comes down to what shoots well in your gun and what you can even get right now. Get a couple boxes and see what shoots.

Personally I'd look for 180gr nosler accubond or partitions. Barnes ttsx, nosler etip, hornady gmx are all great copper options. Those companies sell factory ammo with those offerings as well as federal loads many of them.

At shorter distance like that i would stay away from eld-x and bergers. You don't need the fancy bc and in my experience they just don't perform as good as the others at closer range, but again that's personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I've had extremely good results from Hornady 200gr Precision Hunter, but I agree with the above statement that just about anything will work at that range. I'd buy whatever I could get at least 4 boxes of right now so you can dial in and practice.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

At that range any good hunting round will work. Lean towards bonded bullets or solid coppers. See what there is generally good stock of available to you (i.e. use ammoseek to find what rounds there's an abundance of), and grab about 3 different options. Test them out, see what shoots well in your gun and grab a couple more boxes of that one.

Partition, Accubond, Fusion, Terminal Ascent, Hornady CX, Winchester Deer Season or Deer Season Copper, Barnes TSX/TTSX, Norma Bondstrike, etc.

At that range you need the bullet to stay together. 165gr+ solids or 180+gr lead core rounds would be good, I think.

As said above, stay away from ELD-X (Hornady Precision Hunter) and Berger bullets at that close of a range.

bsnedeker

WKR
At that range any good hunting round will work. Lean towards bonded bullets or solid coppers. See what there is generally good stock of available to you (i.e. use ammoseek to find what rounds there's an abundance of), and grab about 3 different options. Test them out, see what shoots well in your gun and grab a couple more boxes of that one.

Partition, Accubond, Fusion, Terminal Ascent, Hornady CX, Winchester Deer Season or Deer Season Copper, Barnes TSX/TTSX, Norma Bondstrike, etc.

At that range you need the bullet to stay together. 165gr+ solids or 180+gr lead core rounds would be good, I think.

As said above, stay away from ELD-X (Hornady Precision Hunter) and Berger bullets at that close of a range.
Lol... everything I've killed with the eldx was under 250 yards and was DRT, but if you say so!

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler AB180 has always been a good performer
Just my two cents

Lol... everything I've killed with the eldx was under 250 yards and was DRT, but if you say so!

It's not that you can't kill with it, its that the ELD-X has such a thin jacket that if you're planning on shooting at those ranges it is not the ideal round. A tougher round that will hold together better will give you more leeway with mistakes at those ranges if you hit bone early. You can use that round, but it's at the bottom of the list of options when there are such better bullets available for this application.

I haven't used solids before but the last deer hunt in October, I pushed a deer to my buddy and he got a point blank shot with his 300WM into a muley with a 168gr TSX, and that bullet went straight into the femur, took the leg off, and went the entire length through the animal, and stopped under the far-side hide. It probably had about 100% weight retention. It looked like a banana and it made total passthrough. Glancing off a bone early prevented any expansion whatsoever.

Everything I've killed at 400 yards and under has been with a Barnes mono of one version or another over the last 28 hunting seasons, frangible bullets must be coming back in style for harder angle shots at under 400 yards (or close range). What I suspect is happening is hunters could give two wiffs about meat loss and running a frangible bullet into an elk shoulder deliberately or not at close range will give that. And probably pass on harder quartering shots or maybe the shot wasn't as hard of an angle as they thought. Not arguing they won't work but there are better tools to drive that nail. I don't preach that monos or controlled expansion are the only bullets to use, but hunters that use the frangible bullets put up a fuss when controlled expansion bullets are recommended as a better option. Blowing up a shoulder deliberately or not, or compromising any element of penetration at closer range from harder angles in the name of a frangible bullet when there is an option that will do better, is foreign to me.

Under 400 yards with a 300 Winchester Magnum, any controlled expansion bullet on the market in a factory load will take care of business.

Last edited:
I’m not knowledgeable about your particular gun but I have a ton of experience with Nosler Accubonds. They fly excellent for me and every bull I ever sent one through dropped in it’s tracks.

As Forest said it comes down to what works well with your gun. But I’d start with those. At 350 yards or less I can about guarantee they will be sufficient.

180 grain is a great weight bullet for that gun. I have shot Nosler partition and Barnes TSX out of mine.
Both group great. The TSX flies slightly better at longer ranges. The NP in my opinion hits the Elk slightly
harder.

Took a oryx on white sands and a barbary in SE NM with hornady 200 grn eld x. It mushroom perfect on the oryx. Stuck in far shoulder. They are both tough ass african game. Recovered from the oryx and the one passed thru both shoulders on the barbary. 75% weight retained on recovered bullet. Has my confidence now. Shot some animals with accubonds and they work well to.

Attachments

• 20211031_102436.jpg
    20211031_102436.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211031_102440.jpg
    20211031_102440.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 40
I have the same rifle and set-up. I went with Federal Custom Rifle Ammo, 200gr Hornady ELD-X that I ordered directly from the Federal website. Right around $100 for a box of 20. Tight groups, holds together, good expansion at ranges up to 400yrds (50-60% wt retention, gets even better with longer range (85-90% wt retention). I haven't been disappointed.

Dang I just brew my own and I thought reloading was getting expensive. Your ammo is $5 a round, that's just cheaper than what 50 bmg cost 3 years ago.

rootacres

WKR
180gr accubonds, 180gr TTSX, 185gr Berger. . I’ve seen them all used. The TTSX performed exactly as designed, found the bullet lodged in the opposite side bone. The Berger basically exploded after getting through the shoulder. It seems bad in theory bad the internal damage was incredible. My 7mm Berger had ~50% weight retention. None of the bulls made it further than a few steps.