300 WSM elk bullet

roymunson

WKR
planning an elk hunt with my 300 WSM. Used it in AK this fall and killed a bull moose at 300 with a 180 gr TTSX.

The round I developed is accurate to feel confident on a bench at 600 yards. I won't shoot that far or farther in western Colorado (either by terrain, or by my own handicap of myself)

Since I like to tinker, I'm tempted to try some nosler partitions and see what those would do. I have them in 165 and 180s.

If I don't like them, I know my TTSX round I can come back to, but having a year to work on it and really enjoying the process, are there real benefits to shooting the 165s vs the copper 180s? I prefer bang flops if I can get em.

Just an exercise in finding another round I like.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I shoot the 215 Berger in my 300 WSM and have had good results with it. I've also used and liked the 185 Berger Classic hunter.

SloppyJ

WKR
I think you're onto something with the 180 Partitions but the BC won't be anywhere near the new fancy stuff.

The 215s might fit the bill too but unless you have extra freebore in your chamber, I imagine you'd have to stuff it so far down in the case you'd be losing a lot of room for powder.

I think you're onto something with the 180 Partitions but the BC won't be anywhere near the new fancy stuff.

The 215s might fit the bill too but unless you have extra freebore in your chamber, I imagine you'd have to stuff it so far down in the case you'd be losing a lot of room for powder.

Its typically more of a mag space issue than a freebore issue on factory rifles. The bearing surface on a 215 is very short for it's weight and it's nose very long. They shoot great for me if single fed with just a SAAMI chamber but are way too long to fit in my short action mag.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I also found some 180 accubonds that I got somewhere.

Like I said, my copper TTSX hasn't steered me wrong and I know the round if I have to go back to it.

But would like to try something else for the fun of building a new load.
I have to choose from:
180 Accubond
180 Partition
165 Partition

Other than figuring which one shoots best, is there one with better performance on meat and game than another?

180 accubond because the partition has roughly the same BC as the bullets i use in a muzzleloader.

Edit to add: I've never shot partitions due to BC and the idea that their complex construction likely makes it difficult for them to be as consistent and thus possibly not shoot as precise. If we're being honest at typical shot distances and precision requirements - neither typically matters. I've seen nothing that suggests there is anything more reliable for terminal performance than partitions. I think even @Formidilosus said they were the most reliable bullet terminally he has seen.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
Its typically more of a mag space issue than a freebore issue on factory rifles. The bearing surface on a 215 is very short for it's weight and it's nose very long. They shoot great for me if single fed with just a SAAMI chamber but are way too long to fit in my short action mag.
The 200.20x is the same design as the 215. You might be able to fit that one in the mag

The 200.20x is the same design as the 215. You might be able to fit that one in the mag

It is similar but that is why it doesn't work well in this use case, very long nose. You could functionally make it fit but @ 2.90" (max in my mag) the Ogive is inside the case neck. Not worth it. That is why i shoot 200 eldx in that rifle. Berger 185 classic hunter or 180 elite hunter would be a better fit but that elite hunter still has a pretty dang long nose.

Edit: you got me thinkin now.. even though the ogive is in a funny place, the bullet OAL is still about the same (actually a hair shorter) than 200 eldx because of the plastic tip so it really shouldn't crowd the powder space more. Jump distance is going to be a mile but I don't worry about that much these days.

Sorry for hijack @roymunson

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I hopped off the Barnes train this year and have 180 elite hunters en route. (30-06)

Could you tell wounds apart between those two bullets?

I imagine you're going to see a large difference between the two.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
The 180 accubond has performed well on elk out of my dad’s wsm. I don’t think you could go wrong.

Wrench

WKR
I've taken elk with 200.20x and 208eldm in 300wsm. Both were in the 6to700 range and both performed well.

The partition is a very accurate bullet with a low bc. If you're shooting 500 and under and not fighting 20mph wind....it's a great choice.

A lot of us get hung up on bullets that shine at 1000 but not so much at 50. If you're not going to need the slick bullet, something like a partition will be more reliable up close and at the 500 line not as much of a handicap as many think.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
What about elds? Anybody using the lighter 155 or 168 eldm or only the 200 or bigger eldx?

What about elds? Anybody using the lighter 155 or 168 eldm or only the 200 or bigger eldx?

With how fast they come apart i like to go heavier for caliber with more sectional density. Especially with magnums. Could see them being a good choice with 308s.

Honyock

WKR
Partitions are pretty much all that I shoot in my 300 wsm. 165 Partitions won't shoot really tight groups but they will go through five feet of black bear and mushroom perfectly.