308 and Aoudad

Brooks

WKR
What’s your thoughts on using a 308 Winchester and a 168 gn Nosler Partition or a 165 Nosler Accubond. Out to around 400 - 500 yards on Barbary sheep? I chased them two years ago using a 338 win mag but the 308 is considerably lighter. Did a lot of humping those mountains last time, looking to lighten the load this time.

I'd say you're probably good and suggest keeping it @ 400 or less.
Either of those bullets would work.
I killed both of mine with Partitions out of a 7Wby, and a 300WM.

You should be fine. Shot 4 a few weeks ago with a 7mm-08, 120 gr Barnes TTSX. They were under 200 yards.

I have seen more aoudad succumb to a 308 than anything else. Eld-x and partitions. Plenty for aoudad

It will get the job done. Keep
Shots reasonable distance 300 and less IMO. I would choose the Accubond over the ELDX.

I watched a small Ram take 3 shots like a man from my .308 that my son was shooting. Was using 175 Berger VLDH @2800fps. 125 yards max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It will get the job done. Keep
Shots reasonable distance 300 and less IMO. I would choose the Accubond over the ELDX.

I watched a small Ram take 3 shots like a man from my .308 that my son was shooting. Was using 175 Berger VLDH @2800fps. 125 yards max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm more impressed with my 6.5CM than my .308. I haven't had good results with copper .308's.

I’ve killed several Aoudad and watched others kill Aoudad with a 150gr Hornady out of .308.

I’ve killed several Aoudad and watched others kill Aoudad with a 150gr Hornady out of .308.
Yep, same here. Pick a good bullet, go forth and do good things. Don't over-think, just learn to shoot that gun and to follow up quickly. Depending on terrain, anchoring a sheep before they get into more gnarly stuff can be important. I have seen average size rams soak up what would be considered "knock down" super killing cartridges and keep running. I have also seen a ram fall over stone dead from a varmint gun.

As is the case with most hunts, you will be carrying that rifle far more than you will be shooting it so plan accordingly. Best of luck!

Seen a bunch killed with a 308 using 150 & 165 Accubond out to 500. Pic a bullet your gun likes and get comfortable out to 300-400 and you will be fine.

I took mine with a 110 TAC-TX out of a 300BLK SBR from 130 yards while taking a crap under my deer blind. Needless to say, I was surprised that it worked, dropped him within 15 yards. With a proper bullet inside of 200 yards I'd say you have a lot of room for calibers otherwise considered under gunned.

Back