.338 RCM

mpwolf

FNG
I'm contemplating spinning up a .338 RCM barrel for my Tikka. Will be used for moose and black bear in Eastern Canada. Would love to hear any experiance with the round, and bullet selection. Ranges are often close-30-100yrds, but can get out to 500-600 on moose when the stars align. I'm thinking 250 scenar might work nicely, since there will be plenty of room in the Tikka.

If you can source ammo and brass reliably in large quantities have fun. Otherwise pick something that is available. Any centerfire cartridge from 22/250 up will do what you're looking for.

OP
M

mpwolf

FNG
I have brass on the way. Obviously there are other, easier options, and I have plenty in the safe that will do the job, where is the fun in that?

Gen273

WKR
I have had a .338 RCM for close to a decade. It is simply an outstanding cartridge that is woefully underappreciated. It is one of the most accurate rounds I have tested. And it's an absolute hammer on big game. I am not simply a fanboy, and I don't carry my .338 RCM for everything. But, with that said, in my opinion, it's probably the perfect do everything outside of elephant size game cartridge. Oh, and I am also in the camp who loves short actions.

With that said, I figured components would eventually be hard to get for it. So when I got it, I bought enough brass to last me. But if you have a source for brass, you will love the rifle. Probably my favorite bullet to load is a 200-grain Accubond.

Gen273

WKR
I have brass on the way. Obviously there are other, easier options, and I have plenty in the safe that will do the job, where is the fun in that?
Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing where you found the brass?

prm

WKR
A smokin’ fast 160 TTSX would be fantastic at closer ranges. Perhaps not ideal for the longer ranges. A 230 ELD-X would be worth a try. Probably best option for longest ranges. Honestly, 600 is going to be tough with 338 bullets.

I’ve had one for quite a while. Just a factory 20” Alaskan?? Accuracy is just OK. I went lighter. Have a decent load for a Barnes 185 TSX. Took a nice black bear with it. Also run 180 Accubond for decent BC comparatively. Would be a dog with 250s. Neat overall package. I have maybe 150 new cases. Feel once these are used up the rifle will be dead. Such a shame

prm

WKR
I’ve had one for quite a while. Just a factory 20” Alaskan?? Accuracy is just OK. I went lighter. Have a decent load for a Barnes 185 TSX. Took a nice black bear with it. Also run 180 Accubond for decent BC comparatively. Would be a dog with 250s. Neat overall package. I have maybe 150 new cases. Feel once these are used up the rifle will be dead. Such a shame

How have the 180 Accubonds performed on game? I have a bunch loaded up for a 338 Fed (2750 fps). I did shoot a bull elk with a 180 BT and it worked well.

OP
M

mpwolf

FNG
Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing where you found the brass?
Gunwerks, and a gent over on 24hourcampfire. I haven't tried it yet, because my dies haven't arrived yet, but the word is 6.5 PRC can also be necked up. A bit of a pain, but then you have something beside Hornady brass.

I don't think I would want to try this if I wasn't going to load for it, since factory ammo is pretty scarce, but with enough brass in hand, I'm about ready to order a barrel.

How have the 180 Accubonds performed on game? I have a bunch loaded up for a 338 Fed (2750 fps). I did shoot a bull elk with a 180 BT and it worked well.
Only thing I whacked w that RCM was a bear with the 185 TSX. I only get a deer tag or two per year. As much as I love all my rifles…by the time I grab a bow or a pistol the Love takes a while to spread around