338 Win Mag 225 TTSX H4350

02crewcab

FNG
Hey yall,

I am going to start working up a load described in the title. Just curious of if anyone has a personal load they worked up that can give some insight for expected velocities. I will not use a shared load charge as a starting point, Ill work up to what my rifle can handle safely. I have some conflicting load data that Ive seen, one book says 67 - 72 gr an Barnes emailed back 63 - 69.5 gr. Ill be using rem brass and primers.

Thanks,
Tyler

SDHNTR

WKR
Monos will show pressure earlier at same weight due to their longer bearing surface. Don’t expect crossover in load data.

Agree with the above post. If the data was developed by Hodgdon for example, with the 225 TSX then you could use that as a reference point. However Barnes data is a great place if you only had one choice.

The variance in charges you listed above, have a good deal of overlap as stated. The reality is the difference between the top load from each source you've shared can easily be attributed to a different lot of powder or a different primer. Then case volume is different unless they are all using the same brand from the same lot.

I looked at Barnes data online just now, and also looked at a Barnes reloading manual that has data for the 225 TTSX. Because I can't find H4350 in Barnes data, using IMR 4350 as an example, in the first Barnes manual they made that has the 225 TSX/LRX, it shows 67 gr max charge. Currently (on-line) they show a 68.3 gr max charge using IMR 4350 and the TSX/TTSX. TSX is the common bullet between them, and they are showing different numbers based on data derived at different times.

In my experience H4350 is ever so slightly slower burning then IMR4350 so I would absolutely use Barnes data they gave you on H4350 and work from there as it seems to be spot-on based based on comparative factors.

OP
02crewcab

02crewcab

FNG
Monos will show pressure earlier at same weight due to their longer bearing surface. Don’t expect crossover in load data.
Its funny you mentioned that because that was the first caution i came across when researching the barnes bullets and yet barnes emailed be back data from a cross over of a 225gr soft point ha

Agree with the above post. If the data was developed by Hodgdon for example, with the 225 TSX then you could use that as a reference point. However Barnes data is a great place if you only had one choice.

The variance in charges you listed above, have a good deal of overlap as stated. The reality is the difference between the top load from each source you've shared can easily be attributed to a different lot of powder or a different primer. Then case volume is different unless they are all using the same brand from the same lot.

I looked at Barnes data online just now, and also looked at a Barnes reloading manual that has data for the 225 TTSX. Because I can't find H4350 in Barnes data, using IMR 4350 as an example, in the first Barnes manual they made that has the 225 TSX/LRX, it shows 67 gr max charge. Currently (on-line) they show a 68.3 gr max charge using IMR 4350 and the TSX/TTSX. TSX is the common bullet between them, and they are showing different numbers based on data derived at different times.

In my experience H4350 is ever so slightly slower burning then IMR4350 so I would absolutely use Barnes data they gave you on H4350 and work from there as it seems to be spot-on based based on comparative factors.
I appreciate the effort. I figured load data for IMR 4350 would be similar to H4350 since they are close on the burn chart. Just wanted to ask on others opinions too, but i figured I would play it safe and start at the lower end of the charge weights

SDHNTR

WKR
Man I’ve been in your shoes. I can remember when I first started reloading the process frustrated me greatly. It still does! The range of information and miss information, and lack of standards is maddening. Unfortunately there just absolutely is no shortcut to this stuff. There is no substitute for load work up on your own. I don’t like it either, and I’ve wracked my brain around trying to find a way to shorten the curve and there just isn’t. I finally accepted it.

With the TSX and TTSX or other grooved mono's, the grooves reduce bearing surface and give the material displaced by rifling somewhat of a place to go. Maybe not a lot, but provides some relief.

When Barnes first came out with the 200 grain TSX in .358, they sent some to do load work up in my 35 Whelan AI and report back. My findings are more velocity than the original X design, better accuracy and less cleaning after a shooting session as well. When I got some 225 gr TSX's, I found velocity was higher than the original 225X but not as high as the 225 XLC that Barnes no longer offers.

TTSX is a better all around offering to me because it does open sooner and more quickly based on necropsy compared to the TSX or original X with no detectable loss of penetration on harder angle shots, as they have all exited.

For the super long range crew they leave something to be desired in ballistic coefficient. However, bullets that do really well at super long range are designed for that and I would prefer a TTSX out to the 300-400 yards that I will take a shot, if for anything a dramatic difference in meat loss. Because either way it's a dead animal.

ODB

WKR
I use 67.5 gr of IMR4350 (the old Max) with the 225 Gr TTSX - shoots lights out.

For the record, every TTSX/TSX bullet I have ever used goes like this: Pick a higher FPS powder, load to right at max, crimp in front groove of the bullet. Easy.

I use 67.5 gr of IMR4350 (the old Max) with the 225 Gr TTSX - shoots lights out.

For the record, every TTSX/TSX bullet I have ever used goes like this: Pick a higher FPS powder, load to right at max, crimp in front groove of the bullet. Easy.
What velocity do you get with said load?

ODB

WKR
What velocity do you get with said load?

I've never chrono'd it, but did drop charts to 500 yards using 2775 and they were spot-on with my M1 turret. That's out of a 26" Model 70. I could easily push it more, but the gain will be nothing.

That velocity is pretty much spot on to what Barnes shows as well. Some powders gain another 100 FPS but when you're dialing and have the drops charted, it's only a matter of keeping expansion velocity to get the job done. The 225 TTSX has a good BC as well.

Only wish Barnes would make a 225 TTSX in .358 for the 35 Whelen crowd. I'm sure it has to do with bullet length and stabilization in most Whelen barrels which is 1:16. Mine is 1:14. Not complaining, just wishing. The 200 TTSX can be pushed plenty fast to help make up for the mediocre (at best) BC.