350 legend rifle reco

satchamo

WKR
Illinois opened up straight wall this year so I’m thinking seriously about grabbing one for the upcoming gun season.

I usually buy as nice as I can afford but with this caliber I feel like theirs probably not a ton of sense in overspending given the relative range limits of it.

I was thinking about just grabbing a mossberg patriot or a ruger American predator. (don’t recommend savage, those rifles are uglier than my bank acct after xmas).The mossberg is about 100-150 cheaper than the ruger. Is the ruger worth the additional coin?

Or is there another model I should consider over both? I don’t want to spend over $500 and whatever I get needs to have the ability to run a single feed sled or msg block given the regs. I think technically I can’t even have a threaded barrel but I’ll probably turn a blind eye to that as no counties south of Springfield are even enforcing the new AR bans.

Curhunter

FNG
I'd avoid the Mossberg, at least the walnut version. Their bedding system is horrible. Have one in a 308 that's a consistent 5 inch group at 100yds. I did spend way too much time bedding it but haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet.

wesfromky

WKR
There are a few threads on .350 here if you search. You will have to either leave the mag at home, or figure out a way to block it so only one round, I believe.

I have the ruger compact ranch and it is fine for what it is. 16" and I run a dead air wolfman on it. Bear creek ballistic 140gr copper.

cornchuck

FNG
I have the Mossberg Patriot non-wood stock. It likes to shoot the lighter bullets like the 150-165. I do like the gun for a cheap gun. I might be switching to the 400 Legend when its more available.

Jason

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
I would stick with the slug gun for multiple shots but if you are set on 350 go CVA Scout. I’m not aware of a mag block for the other brands.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I would stick with the slug gun for multiple shots but if you are set on 350 go CVA Scout. I’m not aware of a mag block for the other brands.

I haven’t used slugs in 5-6 years. I’ve been using a ML. Don’t plan on going back to slugs. Even single shot with some well located rounds is going to be way faster than a ML

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven’t used slugs in 5-6 years. I’ve been using a ML. Don’t plan on going back to slugs. Even single shot with some well located rounds is going to be way faster than a ML
Run the two round holder on the side of your rifle for quicker reloading.

And, you can probably just epoxy a Howa Mini mag to make it a block. Cut it off if you don’t want it poking down. At 30ish bucks that’s not a big deal.

A handy guy could pull the mag apart and put a block in place of the spring. I have messed with the mags myself. I shoot a 6br out of a Howa mini with the bolt face opened up.

sdupontjr

WKR
There are possible talk that Louisiana may go the route of the straight wall cartridge according to my Gunsmith, but its just table talk. So instead of going the 35 whelen route, I went with the 350 legend. However we do have a single shot mandate so i went with the SS CVA scout with threaded barrel. Gun almost looks fake.This is it onside the kids old Red Rider BB gun. Damn thing shots light out with Winchester 150 XP's.
CVA Scout.jpg

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Found this on Illinois DNR website

Attachments

• IMG_6717.png
    IMG_6717.png
    395 KB · Views: 29

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of the Howa Mini but with a single shot rule, I'd be going the Scout route.
IMO they're a great looking rifle that feels pretty good in hand

Howa Mini Action in 350 Legend @ $460 + $30 shipping on gunbroker. Take the spring and follower out of the magazine (easy to do) for hunting. Buy a 223 barrel for the Action and have a sweet little switch barrel target and hunting rifle.

Jay

This..or order the 3d printed single shot sled off etsy that some guy makes for this.

I took my first 2 deer with my howa mini this year. Its my second 350 rifle, first being a ruger american. A few of us had issues with them who all bought around the same time, in my group of friends. Mine went back to ruger for repairs and they replaced everything other than the stock on it..

I think Howa is under-rated, and aftermarket is kinda slim pickings for them, but they make reliable actions and good shooting rifles. Mine is "sub moa" with 5 rounds at 100 yards, using hornady white tail...but honestly..I wouldnt expect that out of a hunting rifle in the first place.

I got the Xcel lite, and threw a different stock on it right away..waiting to try the stockys whenever it ships, but its easily the most accurate straight wall cartridge rifle Ive ever shot.