FNG
IMG_0859.jpeg
This is the last Buck taken off our family farm before It got parted out
Little 8pt the same year my daughter shot her first 8ptIMG_7567.jpeg
Both using the same set up Ruger Ranch American in 350 on a big tripod

Last edited:

wesfromky

WKR
This will be almost my exact setup this year - do you know your actual muzzle velocity?
Doe was at 100, dropped were she was hit. Buck at 50, went maybe 25 yards with the bottom 1/3 of his heart missing. Ruger compact ranch .350, bear creek 140gr, and DA wolfman. Love the wolfman, but it is kinda big and heavy. Have an otter creek lithium in jail to replace it for hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_6664.jpeg
    IMG_6664.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 37

anthonyjg

FNG
I have a Savage 110 Apex Hunter XP and use Bear Creek Ballistics 140 grain with the polymer tips. I shot two whitetails in the last month, both at around 100 yards. In both cases, the round passed all the way through the animal and did a bunch of damage on its way through. The first was a heart shot, the second double lung, and both had the biggest blood trails I've seen.

Based on what I've read in these forums, I suspect the quality of ammunition makes a big difference in the outcomes.

roymunson

WKR
I have a Savage 110 Apex Hunter XP and use Bear Creek Ballistics 140 grain with the polymer tips. I shot two whitetails in the last month, both at around 100 yards. In both cases, the round passed all the way through the animal and did a bunch of damage on its way through. The first was a heart shot, the second double lung, and both had the biggest blood trails I've seen.

Based on what I've read in these forums, I suspect the quality of ammunition makes a big difference in the outcomes.
Thats good to hear. I'd agree I think the bullet makeup is a big part of the issue. I'm on the rampage for some good ammo.

anthonyjg

FNG
I got some bear creek 140s just before our second firearms season. Tell me about how they've worked for you.
They worked great! Both deer I killed were mature adults that I shot broadside. The rounds did what they are supposed to - penetrate and expand - leaving a big exit wound and a blood trail that looked like someone had poked a hole in a can of red paint and then walked into the woods for a few dozen yards.

I will say definitely sight in again with the new rounds. My rifle was new, so I sighted in at first with FMJ target rounds (just because it's cheaper). When I switched to the Bear Creek to do the final sight in, the Bear Creek rounds were a good 3 inches higher than the target rounds at 100 yards. The groupings got much tighter with the Bear Creek, too.

It's really a pleasure to shoot.

roymunson

WKR
They worked great! Both deer I killed were mature adults that I shot broadside. The rounds did what they are supposed to - penetrate and expand - leaving a big exit wound and a blood trail that looked like someone had poked a hole in a can of red paint and then walked into the woods for a few dozen yards.

I will say definitely sight in again with the new rounds. My rifle was new, so I sighted in at first with FMJ target rounds (just because it's cheaper). When I switched to the Bear Creek to do the final sight in, the Bear Creek rounds were a good 3 inches higher than the target rounds at 100 yards. The groupings got much tighter with the Bear Creek, too.

It's really a pleasure to shoot.
excellent!

I actually was able to slip out to the range today to get the guns final tuned on these new rounds before tomorrow. They did hit high and I adjusted out of that.

I like big blood trails. That's been my complaint on the factory ammo and even my FTX reloads.

anthonyjg

FNG
excellent!

I actually was able to slip out to the range today to get the guns final tuned on these new rounds before tomorrow. They did hit high and I adjusted out of that.

I like big blood trails. That's been my complaint on the factory ammo and even my FTX reloads.
Seems like those were the problems Bear Creek was trying to fix. I hope the next go works out much better for you. Looking forward to hearing about it!

SBR Sarge

FNG
I’ve killed two with the 140gr from Bear Creek. Both bullets ended up being caught by the far side hide.

I didn’t miss having a blood trail. I did high shoulder/base of neck shots and they dropped where they stood.

One stayed intact and one shed a petal after going through neck bone and shoulder bone. The petal was found right next to the rest of the bullet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

anthonyjg

FNG
I’ve kkilled two with the 140gr from Bear Creek. Both bullets ended up being caught by the far side hide.

I didn’t. miss having a blood trail. I did high shoulder/base of neck shots and they dropped where they stood.

One stayed intact and one shed a petal avter. going through neck bone and shoulder bone. The petal was found right next to the rest of the bullet.
I'm curious, which variety of Bear Creek 140 grain did you use? With or without the pointed ballistic tips?

I use the rounds with the ballistic tips. They won't feed out of a Savage 110 magazine, but I'm in IL and have to manually feed a round at a time anyway.

OP
T

Thoff1989

Lil-Rokslider
Well I did find out PA started allowing straight wall cartridges in the older "shotgun only" areas so I'm glad we picked one up since we are close to 2B.

My son ended up taking his 1st buck this year with the 350, he is a mentored hunter at age 9 and shot his buck off a big tripod at 166 yds in a field. We were watching over a ridge into a nice pinch point, he hit high shoulder and spine on his first shot. It passed clear through and the buck dropped. He shot him a second time through the neck as he was turned looking our way and fell right down. I couldn't have been more proud. I think my "buck fever" was worse than his 😂

We had shot both the Winchester Copper impacts and the Hornady Custom ammo loaded with ftx bullets. He shot his buck with the Hornady ammo.

roymunson

WKR
Got to put the Bear Creeks to the test this weekend out of the AR. Both 30-40 yard shots. My 9 year old bang flopped one. Her legs tucked up to her chest before she even hit the ground. It was devastating and cool to watch.

15 minutes later mine came in and was trying to investigate the dead doe. Broke her shoulder and she snowplowed about 10 yards before she gave it up. I had 2 dead deer within 20 yards.

Redeemed my belief in the 350 with they 140 grain copper round tips.

TxJW

FNG
I built an AR upper in 350 L just to use as a pig gun, initially. So far, I have had zero issues with feeding or bullet performance. It seems the right components are necessary for no problems with the 350 in the AR platform. I used a 16" Ballistics Advantage lightweight barrel with "Big Bore" feed ramps. The upper is an Aero Precision XL with larger ejection ports. The Duramag 350 L specific magazines have been flawless as well. I have taken 6 pigs and one WT buck with this setup and it shoots 1 in with Winchester 180gr Power point. All shots were pass thru and all were found within 20 ft of the hit. So far, my impressions are its very low recoil, quieter than other rounds in the AR, and kills as well or better than other AR rounds. Also, ammo is available everywhere.

Fordguy

WKR
Apparently there's a new straightwall cartridge in the works. The .41 great lakes is moving a 180 grain bullet at 2650 fps based on the video I watched last night. I'm interested.

Bluefish

WKR
Apparently there's a new straightwall cartridge in the works. The .41 great lakes is moving a 180 grain bullet at 2650 fps based on the video I watched last night. I'm interested.
I am not buying that they can get that performance in a straight wall that fits in a 1.8” case length. If they can, that’s a lot better than any other offerings out there.