3rd Season Rifle... Bag/pack recommendations?

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Heading out to CO for 3rd season. I currently been using MR Pintler and love it. However, I know CO can be much colder during 3rd season and we will be day hunting from camp, but didnt know if the Pintler would be big enough for the added clothes or should I be looking to upgrade to a bigger pack? Thanks.

hobbes

WKR
If you are day hunting, I don't think you need anything more than a Pintler. Are you planning to use it as a meat packer also?

Last edited:
OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
If you are day hunting, I don't think you need anything more than a Pintler. Are you planning to use it as a meat packer also?
Yes, I plan to use it as meat packer also. In first season I was able to haul a quarter with full back, then empty pack to go after more. Seemed to work fine. But open to suggestions.

hobbes

WKR
Yes, I plan to use it as meat packer also. In first season I was able to haul a quarter with full back, then empty pack to go after more. Seemed to work fine. But open to suggestions.
I think you are good with your Pintler but other folks will ask before giving advice. You'll likely get suggestions for another dozen packs but I wouldn't change just because of cold. My cold weather clothing isn't so bulky that I need a giant pack for day hunts.

My son with half a deer last year in the cold I'm MT. Not a big deer but still half a deer.

IMG_20221113_115120447_HDR.jpg

I use a pintler during CO 3rd rifle all the time with no issues. I just do day hunts, as well and have done a few pack outs with it. Its one of my favorite packs.

HenDawg3

FNG
I used a Pintler last year for 3rd season and it worked great. Had plenty of room for my spotting scope, puffy clothes, couple sets of gloves, kill kit, extra headlamp, etc that you would need for a day hunt and we packed 2 bulls out in 3 days with no issues. I love that pack on day hunts. I would only use a bigger one like the Marshall or Beartooth 80 if I was planning on overnight or multiple day trips.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
Why don’t you figure out what you need and see if it fits? If it does you’re good to go. If not figure out if you want to get a new bag.

Some people can get away with just a vest.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pintler also. If I need more room I just add a large dry bag with stuff between the frame and bag on the meat shelf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk