40 Mile Air 2020!

MikeD2003

FNG
planning a float trip this summer down the Charley River for caribou. Any advice on specific areas to hit up harder than others?

VernAK

WKR
What's your starting point?.....and final destination?

Some caribou will be scattered throughout the region but F&G Tok and the pilots will know where the primary migration is taking place but I've planned for a drop in front of the migration and the weather changed. The migration did a 90 and went elsewhere. That's caribou.

Last fall I went to a location where we see no planes or other hunters and a few caribou. After taking two nice bulls, a blizzard changed the migration and 1300 passed our tent the next morning.

MikeD2003

FNG
Dropping at 3 fingers landing strip headwaters of Charley floating down to the Yukon to Circle. Using Tok Air

VernAK

WKR
Usually.....I'd expect more caribou in the early part of your trip. The 3 Finger Charley are can be quite good. Consider water level before loading rafts with caribou meat too early in the trip. You mention a "summer" trip.
You have a considerable but interesting float ahead of you and meat spoilage could be an issue. There's good grayling fishing as well as dolly varden along the way.

MikeD2003

FNG
Usually.....I'd expect more caribou in the early part of your trip. The 3 Finger Charley are can be quite good. Consider water level before loading rafts with caribou meat too early in the trip. You mention a "summer" trip.
You have a considerable but interesting float ahead of you and meat spoilage could be an issue. There's good grayling fishing as well as dolly varden along the way.
I have heard a few times to take into consideration the water level before loading rafts with meat. We will be out there mid to late august. We have made plans for meat preparation and maintenance in the field hopefully that pays off over the trip. At the headwaters of the charley I don't know how aggressive we will be pursuing animals, unless presented a can't pass up bow shot.