40 Mile Herd - Zone 2

Muzzyfool

FNG
I’d like to pick the brains of some of the more experienced guys. In regards to zone 2, how quickly does it close?

My second question I’m sure there’s no perfect answer to, as it’s highly dependent on the caribou movement, but if you had to pick a 10 day window for a fly in trip, what do you think the best 10 days would be?

You must really want to know since you posted the same question in 3 different threads. Caribou will caribou picks 10 days, or ask your pilot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
M

Muzzyfool

FNG
You must really want to know since you posted the same question in 3 different threads. Caribou will caribou picks 10 days, or ask your pilot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I was trying to get my 10 posts in so people can PM me

VernAK

WKR
I don't recall Zone 2 ever having an Emergency Closure but the quota has not been set for this year. We can expect quotas to be lower with a shortened season and bulls only. IMO the BOG will restrict non-residents to Zone 2 only. It's also my opinion but i think the Steese Highway opening may be delayed or changed some how.

There are usually < 200 caribou taken from Zone 2 each year.

OP
M

Muzzyfool

FNG
I don't recall Zone 2 ever having an Emergency Closure but the quota has not been set for this year. We can expect quotas to be lower with a shortened season and bulls only. IMO the BOG will restrict non-residents to Zone 2 only. It's also my opinion but i think the Steese Highway opening may be delayed or changed some how.

There are usually < 200 caribou taken from Zone 2 each year.
Would you expect zone 2’s season to be shorter as well? If so, would that be on the front or back end?

VernAK

WKR
The last few years the Zone 2 harvest has been about 125 caribou, If I decide to go this year, I'll book for about September 1st as trophy quality is much better and bugs are usually gone.

The total quota for 40MCH will likely be 1K or less with Zones 1&4 taking the largest decrease. All 40MCH zones are expected to be bulls only.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s time for Zones 1 and 3 to go to a draw hunt. I don’t say that lightly since I appreciate the OTC road access caribou hunt opportunity. But the circus of Zone 1 and the whiplash of seeming over and under shooting quotas in the past few years (2 any caribou for Fall RC860 only 3 or 4 years ago) had me ready for it.

My view would be 2 or 3 one week fall hunts (bull only) for RC860 Zones 1&3 (now DC I suppose), with quotas designed to retain a resident only winter hunt (any sex). Thoughts?

Trial153

WKR
I am butting right up against September this year to fly in. I would have liked to go a week later but it’s what I could get.

VernAK

WKR
I've been a member of the 40MCH management team for 20 years and we are discussing options for short term [this year] and will perhaps convene another international management conference to look at long term plans.

For 2024, I would guess the quota be greatly reduced in all zones but Zone 2. No cow harvests in any zone. I would not schedule my fall hunting around the August Steese Highway hunt.

Disciussions will be ongoing and everything is subject to change as the Canadians report their harvest and spring surveys are completed.

CJ AK

FNG
Current conditions for the 40 mile are very low quota limits. More than likely the quota will be met within 3 days of opening. So be there on August 10 when it opens, In the case of the current winter hunt season, the RC867, ADFG issued 125 draw tags instead of the registration permit to prevent overharvest. There was speculation that the winter hunt wouldn't open at all.

Your question is how quickly does it close? Simple answer is when quota is met. Expanding on that there are many variables. Two key players are amount of quota and if the Bou are in easily accessible areas. No on can predict the timing of the caribou migration, even the animals don't know when and why they go where they go.

The best 10 days? That's a far second to the closure issue. Expect a low quota. Be there when it opens.
Disregard! I was talking about zone 1. I gave totally useless information for your questions. Wish they were label traditionally left to right 1, 2, 3, 4