400 yard bdc scope

EdP

WKR
The VX-Freedom does have an exposed turret but I don't use mine for dialing. To me, dialing is for young eyes that can see both the turret markings and game at distance. Those days are far in my past.

The Tri-MOA reticle gives me 10 MOA and that is all I need to go out 600 yds with the .280AI. I think it would get you 500 yds with a 30-06 zeroed at 200. The hash marks on the lower verticle crosshair are at 1 MOA increments with the 5th a bit longer than the others. It is a little busy for my liking but not too bad, and 1 MOA increments are usefull at the longer distances where a bullet is dropping fast.

The exposed turret is potentially subject to inadvertent movement, but can be checked with a quick glance.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
if your wanting to do strictly hold overs id go for a FFP scope.
reason being your hashmarks are accurate at any magnification...
i know ive been burnt a time or two using a SFP scope and not being on the right magnification. luckily i was only shooting at targets.
Any good ffp scopes around $800 with some sort of bdc/mil/moa reticle?

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I thought and kind of steered clear of them. Looked at the rs1 from maven and that would probably be the direction I go in if I went for a ffp.

fishslap

WKR
I wouldn’t hesitate to look at a Burris fullfield ii. I like it better than my zeiss conquest in most situations. Don’t let the low price on the Burris concern you. I’ve had one on a 300 win mag for years. If nothing else blows my skirt up for my next gun, I’m going with one of the above.

I wouldn’t hesitate to look at a Burris fullfield ii. I like it better than my zeiss conquest in most situations. Don’t let the low price on the Burris concern you. I’ve had one on a 300 win mag for years. If nothing else blows my skirt up for my next gun, I’m going with one of the above.
Agreed....Burris is one of the most overlooked scopes I feel. Good quality and never have had an issue.

Wrench

WKR
I've killed 3 ff2's. One on a 257roy, two on 30 cals. All were Phillipines models. Solid pass from me.

locofife

FNG
Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid-Z 600 reticle. Works really well with their ballistic calculator and you could probably find a used one in your price range.

Shraggs

WKR
Looking for a new scope for hunting elk, deer, and antelope out to about 400 yards. Rifle is a weatherby vanguard 30.06. I do not want to dial ( had bad experience with a cds dial on a leupold vx2) and just want to be able to quickly range an animal and shoot with that mark on the reticle. I don’t care if it’s bdc or mil/moa. Just want to point and shoot and not worry about it while hauling around in the elk woods. So far I am really looking into the following scopes. Each has some pros and cons for what I am looking for.

Maven RS1 - like that it’s a Wyoming company and that I can get some engraving done on the scope. Not sure about the eye relief and and the shr reticle basically jumping from 200 yards to 400 yards.

Trijicon Huron - BDC lines up pretty well with my expected/wanted load and ballistics for being close to 300 and 400 yards. The lack of no fault warranty makes me pause. I don’t wanna take a tumble in the mountains and bust up the scope and be outta luck cuz it’s not a manufacturer defect.

Trijicon accupoint - basically same worries as above. Would get the mil reticle and use that.

Leupold Vx3 Hd Boone and Crockett reticle - bdc lines up pretty good but I like I said I had a bad experience with a leupold bx2 that has put me off from leupold ( in their defense I believe the issues were more on the rifle than the scope but nevertheless the whole situation made me look down on Leupold)

Any insight or experience with any of these scopes would be awesome. Any others to look into would also be appreciated. Trying to stay around 500-700 bucks. I just want to be able to set it up and be able to point and shoot without messing with turrets. Thanks a lot.

Helped a friend set up his rifle, he wanted simple dependable etc. Huron is a great value and good glass for the money.

I wouldn’t worry about stated trijicon warrsnty. They service has been real good and I have a lot of rnr, accupoints and now credo. Not always fast but always good. Had a 20 yr old accupoint fail they replaced fir free. Truth is it was on a slug gun and didn’t know any better how detrimental lead sleds are to optics especially that recoil.

If you’re want last 300 yards I’d pass on accupoints. They are single reticle and a good typical 300 yard option with a mbr zero. The mil version isn’t going to offer much in ballistic drop fir 3006. Besides the scope is moa, reticle in mils. The Huron has a .223 or .308 calibrated bdc which would line up well for 3006.

I do like the ZEISS system better, z600 snd the app you put on phone.

Wouldn’t judge dailing based on a failures if leupold cds system at all! There are a handful of dependable dailing scopes, theirs is not one of them.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help and input. Think I will go with either the maven or trijicon Huron. Gonna get my hands on a maven in the next few days and go from there.

CoStick

WKR
Trijicon service is great. They actually sent me a return label that included UPS pick up from my house. Pretty helpful just out of rotator cuff surgery.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Is it worth it to go with the RS1 over the RS2 for my situation? I like the idea of “upgrading” having never had much more than a Vortex diamondback for a scope