410 grain arrow @ 176 fps or 460 grain arrow at 168 fps

Which arrow to choose?

• Lighter and faster arrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heavier and slower

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Splitting hairs, don't worry about it.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

cck311

FNG
This is for elk and mule deer. Maybe elk, muleys, and field archery this summer.

At the distances we are proficient too, error on the heavier side, always, in my opinion. I feel 460 is still on the light side. It's good enough, but I would keep elk shots inside of 25 yards.

Wrench

WKR
A heavier arrow is typically a quieter arrow. 168fps is within a few fps of many of the bows I shoot, so memorizing trajectories is easier.

I tend to be in the 550-600gr area.....sharp COC 168fps 460gr arrow flying true will dig plenty deep.

My wife has killed several elk, with a 480 grain arrow out of a 46 pound recurve. They have all stuck in an offside shoulder or rib, never a pass through. But they have all worked when hit in the good stuff.

OP
C

cck311

FNG
My wife has killed several elk, with a 480 grain arrow out of a 46 pound recurve. They have all stuck in an offside shoulder or rib, never a pass through. But they have all worked when hit in the good stuff.
That's awesome. Pretty similar setup to mine it sounds like. I have a heavier setup I can get a little more oomph out of, but this is the bow I like shooting.

Beendare

WKR
So many factors- I would shoot both and decide.

If its a bow under 50#, the heavier arrow will milk a little more performance out of it.

An arrow with 1) perfect flight and 2) a very efficient BH is a dang effective regardless of arrow weight.…but when in doubt, a little heavier is good Especially if you are only shooting short hunting shots 25y and in.

Now, not to contradict that👆🏼-grin- I’m shooting a high performance recurve at 53/54# and I recently went lighter- 435g (From 500g) I shoot longer distances at the range and 3d. I’m a little bit more accurate with the flatter shooting arrow. If I was only Whitetail hunting with 15 and 20 yard set ups, I would have just stuck with the heavier arrow.

OP
C

cck311

FNG
So many factors- I would shoot both and decide.

If its a bow under 50#, the heavier arrow will milk a little more performance out of it.

An arrow with 1) perfect flight and 2) a very efficient BH is a dang effective regardless of arrow weight.…but when in doubt, a little heavier is good Especially if you are only shooting short hunting shots 25y and in.

Now, not to contradict that👆🏼-grin- I’m shooting a high performance recurve at 53/54# and I recently went lighter- 435g (From 500g) I shoot longer distances at the range and 3d. I’m a little bit more accurate with the flatter shooting arrow. If I was only Whitetail hunting with 15 and 20 yard set ups, I would have just stuck with the heavier arrow.
I'm considering just changing to my 55 pound bow and shooting an arrow in the ballpark of 500 grains at around 170 fps. If that don't work, I quit! Still got some time between now and the season to mess around with things.

nphunter

WKR
I'm considering just changing to my 55 pound bow and shooting an arrow in the ballpark of 500 grains at around 170 fps. If that don't work, I quit! Still got some time between now and the season to mess around with things.
No reason to quit or get so tied up in arrow weight. Shoot whatever shoots the best and is the most comfortable and out a sharp two blade head in it.

I’m shooting a 445gr with a 45lb recurve and am very happy with how it shoots and plan on killing deer and elk with it. I have buddies who’s kids have killed elk with kids compound, sub 400gr arrows, 3 blade chisels tip heads drawing like 30-40lbs with like a 23-24” draw.