.410 Shotgun for Backpacking

pirogue

WKR
How about a Taurus Judge .410 pistol?
Reminds me of my CC class. One student reminded you of Dobber in the show, Coach. He shot a Taurus, and shot a decent round for the class. The instructor commented that he shot good, and the guy asked instructor if he’d like to shoot it. Instructor replied, “No, I don’t want to contaminate my hand, with a Taurus”.

There is a snake charmer version that has a stock on it. Would be a perfect for backpacking short range bird getter. Works great for snakes too

It holds four or five shells in the stock also

I've been in your exact position. The older Rossi 410s are likely the best bet for price, weight, simplicity. I'd add a red dot to make it easier to aim. I had one, and it weighed like 3.5 pounds — was simple to takedown, too. Check out this auction link below.

That said, a 4-pound English double would be the ultimate for me. Expensive, sure, but it would be a family heirloom.

These look interesting to me.

In a similar position. Debating between a takedown 10/22 or a small shotgun for AK grouse when Caribou hunting.

WCB

WKR
I just bought a Rossi Tuffy (turkey model with 26" barrel)...but I would think the regular tuffy would be a sweet little gun. I believe it is 31" overall and like 3lbs. can hold 8 shells right on the stock. ticks every box I would look for in a light backcountry gun. I am not a fan of the .410 pistols.

I just bought a Rossi Tuffy (turkey model with 26" barrel)...but I would think the regular tuffy would be a sweet little gun. I believe it is 31" overall and like 3lbs. can hold 8 shells right on the stock. ticks every box I would look for in a light backcountry gun. I am not a fan of the .410 pistols.
I’ve been looking at those at well. Priced very reasonably. Wonder how they pattern at 25yards..

Terrapin

WKR
I have used the heck out of my Rossi Tuffy (and its predecessor). I love that little gun. I’ve probably killed a dozen turkeys with it and countless grouse. It throws a very good pattern with lead and tss shot. The short barrel only has a fixed choke, whereas the longer barrel has screw in chokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk