450 bushmaster

Hi guys. I live in SE Pennsylvania and they recently passed that straight wall rifle cartridges are allowed. I sold one of my slug guns and I have a scope laying around (leupold mark 5 hd 5-25 with pr1 moa reticle.). I’m on the fence of either selling the scope and using my 44 mag lever gun for now, or I was kicking around the idea of building a 450 bushmaster bolt gun. I would probably do something like a zermatt origin in McMillan game warden 2.0. Does anyone shoot one? How do you like it? I definitely don’t NEED it, but, you know, haha.

JoSwan

FNG
There was a guy that was on Safari with me with a 450 Bushmaster and he hunted 7 animals and the cartridge did VERY well.

I have a 450 BM and a 350L, both custom bolt guns. Both work great on deer, but the 450 is a hammer on both ends while the 350 is a pleasure to shoot and light to carry. I usually end up hunting with the 350L, it’s a terrific cartridge and gun for eastern deer hunting. The new 360 BHM has me intrigued but a rimmed cartridge limits my custom gun creativity.

rootacres

WKR
I’ll help you spend money.

I’ve owned both AR platform and bolt gun 450s. I much prefer the bolt gun. Tons of ballistic testing out there but most reports suggest 16” to be the most efficient length. Realistic shot distances in the whitetail deers woods I’d say 16” is perfect. Makes for a nice lightweight, compact deer package. The mark 5 hd you have is overkill for this caliber but that’s up to you. That new 2-10 mark 5 is intriguing though.

OP
I’ll help you spend money.

I’ve owned both AR platform and bolt gun 450s. I much prefer the bolt gun. Tons of ballistic testing out there but most reports suggest 16” to be the most efficient length. Realistic shot distances in the whitetail deers woods I’d say 16” is perfect. Makes for a nice lightweight, compact deer package. The mark 5 hd you have is overkill for this caliber but that’s up to you. That new 2-10 mark 5 is intriguing though.
16” would leave plenty of room for a can. Maby I could sell my 5-25 and buy something more suited for this. I wouldn’t want to take too big of a hit on it, not sure what I could get for it. What’s the realistic effective range from a 450 BM in a bolt gun?

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
450 all the way. Lots of power my Begera recoils mild like a .270 Win they do NOT need a muzzle brake.

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy got a Christensen Arms in .450 BM with a 20” CF barrel that I setup for him and hunted with a couple of times. It’s a shooter and nice rifle. He runs it suppressed and is perfect for the hunting we do in in the south, under 200 yards. I will probably get one at some point.

rootacres

WKR
16” would leave plenty of room for a can. Maby I could sell my 5-25 and buy something more suited for this. I wouldn’t want to take too big of a hit on it, not sure what I could get for it. What’s the realistic effective range from a 450 BM in a bolt gun?
Most people consider them a 200 yd max. A buddy of mine has stretched his out a little further. Those bullets loose a lot of steam past 150 yds. . Most of our group use 1-4, 1-6 accupoints. I use a 3-9 accupoint.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
The 450 definitely puts them down. I much prefer the 350 Legend after hunting with both. Much nicer to shoot. If you do get a 450 do everyone a favor and take the muzzle brake off the darn thing. Ruger makes a nice bolt gun for both. Also the 450 doesn't kick nearly as much as people say...

KenLee

WKR
I'd say you're good to 250 yards with the 450 Bushmaster. That's from my experience with a 16 inch barreled $400 Ruger Ranch rifle. Drops like a rock after 250.

Encore4me

FNG
Another vote for 350 Legend. I hunt with one in Ohio, 200 yds no issues. Mild recoil, very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk