Cold bore zero versus (very) Hot bore zero “test”

280Ackley

WKR
Well, according to the sheeple here a guy has to have "data points" so those are but a small faction of mine. Sound like a personal problem if you can't read and understand the conversation.
I think I found my first person to and to the ignore list….

fwafwow

WKR
If there is a limit, I may be reaching it. But I’m hoping some form of reason and rationale will shine through.

JGRaider

WKR
I'm just reading and learning here, but it seems like where things go sideways is people talking about slightly different things. To my read, this test showed that good barrels don't meaningfully shift POI when hot. Of course my goal in the field is 1 or 2 cold bore, but I'm not going to zero with 1 or 2 for reasons discussed at length elsewhere, namely that 1 or 2 aren't enough to show the average POI, which is what I'm trying to adjust. So, I can get a decent sample size (10 shots) all at once, instead of doing 2 a day for a week or something, and the results will be the same.

Put another way, even if all you care about is the 1st cold bore shot of the day, you need a good zero to do that, and this test shows the fastest way to get there is to just rip 10 at once.
I mostly agree, but a rifle with poor bedding, scope mounting, action screws not torqued, inconsistent ammo, etc won't make up for a great barrel. It takes all of them working together to do what Form has shown.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok another side bar: smoking hot barrel… causes more throat erosion? Or another myth? I would love to see that one debunked.

Reactions: NSI

The Guide

WKR
Question for discussion. Does a barrel group the same with and without a muzzle brake on it? My theory is that it will group the same but with a minor point of impact change due to less weight on the end of the barrel without the brake on.

I ask as there are times I'd like to not use a brake but do enjoy shooting with one most of the time.

Jay

amassi

WKR
Wow. Those are incredibly impressive. High fence?

6e12202a450d7c1c836201574d7993b5.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ok another side bar: smoking hot barrel… causes more throat erosion? Or another myth? I would love to see that one debunked.

Yes. But from what I’ve seen not nearly as much as most believe. Constant 30-50 round groups- yes, it wears faster but not that much faster. Some 10-20 shot groups, nah not really.

Barrel life is probably the hardest thing to determine for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is what does someone call worn out? Add in different firing rates, cleaning or not, etc. Throat erosion can be measured, but that again depends greatly on those factors.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Well, according to the sheeple here a guy has to have "data points" so those are but a small faction of mine. Sound like a personal problem if you can't read and understand the conversation.
When can you come up, spend a few days and shoot?

JGRaider

WKR
Never. He's too busy waiting on his barrel to cool.
That was actually funny. Why would I waste time entertaining you PNW guys when October brings cooler weather, 25 whitetail doe tags to cull from buddy's MLD ground, smacking hogs and 'yotes, mule deer census' then hunting? I can shoot all I want right down here, but thanks for the offer.

atmat

WKR
That was actually funny. Why would I waste time entertaining you PNW guys when October brings cooler weather, 25 whitetail doe tags to cull from buddy's MLD ground, smacking hogs and 'yotes, mule deer census' then hunting? I can shoot all I want right down here, but thanks for the offer.
If only there were 11 other months outside of October… hmm :unsure:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Lot of small game hunting, seen pics of small game animals on walls, but I thought you said you hunted "big game."

I've killed hundreds of small game animals too. Who cares?

P.S. Things that don't get to over 1000 pounds cannot really be considered big.

😁

Yes. But from what I’ve seen not nearly as much as most believe. Constant 30-50 round groups- yes, it wears faster but not that much faster. Some 10-20 shot groups, nah not really.

Barrel life is probably the hardest thing to determine for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is what does someone call worn out? Add in different firing rates, cleaning or not, etc. Throat erosion can be measured, but that again depends greatly on those factors.
Glad I skimmed through all the bs, and didn’t ask this same question twice now… does this same concept hold true even for barrel burners?

Concerned 7WSM owner asking here…

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Glad I skimmed through all the bs, and didn’t ask this same question twice now… does this same concept hold true even for barrel burners?

Concerned 7WSM owner asking here…

The concept holds, but those cartridges simply have less usable barrel life no matter what. A couple 10 shot groups a year won’t hurt anything.

On that note, barrels are consumables. People should be trying to wear them out and be proud about it. Use the mess out of it, when it needs a new one the cost of a rebarrel pales in comparison to the cost that was spent on ammo wearing it out.

The only value in things are in their destruction.

JGRaider

WKR
If only there were 11 other months outside of October… hmm :unsure:
Not sure what planet you're from, but I hunt about 8 months a year in some fashion until it gets too hot, even though we can hunt 24/7/365 here. Much more fun than obsessing about paper punching 10 shot groups, hot bore, cold bore, etc. Whatever floats your boat though. If you still desire more data points I've got about 65 data points of African game if you're interested in seeing some of those?

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
Lot of small game hunting, seen pics of small game animals on walls, but I thought you said you hunted "big game."

I've killed hundreds of small game animals too. Who cares?

P.S. Things that don't get to over 1000 pounds cannot really be considered big.

😁
I don't really care what you classify as whatever, and that may hold true in AK, but generally speaking, animals such as upland birds (pheasants, quail, grouse, turkeys), waterfowl (geese, ducks), upland game (rabbits, squirrels), and furbearers (raccoons, coyotes) are considered small game.

Most state hunting organizations classify deer, elk, moose, caribou, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, wild boar, and other more exotic animals as big game.

Whatever you call it, it beats the crap out of punching paper.