6.5-284, Form’s method mostly, & a group validation

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Finished up a grouping “validation” today after working up a hunting load over the past month and a half, and basically following @Formidilosus , “Form’s method”. I’ll admit to tinkering more with the development than he describes in that I did test seating depths in .005 increments that resulted in 2 consecutive (almost 3) groups that I confidently felt were a good “node”. Settled on 2.524” CBTO, loaded 13 last week, and took these today to the range for groupIng confirmation.

The 6.5-284 load is:
• Nosler 129 ABLR
• new Lapua brass
• Federal 210 primer
• 53.7gr Reloder 22 …. ok, just a bit more than
Form’s “dropped .5gr” below max.

Considerations here include….. • already shot mulitiple rounds and confirmed no pressure issues at Nosler book max 54.0gr, • the seating test was ten 3-round groups shot outdoors that I believe demonstrated that Form’s described mag/max length method for seating depth would have put me close to my 2.524 CBTO test result. I know where jam is & this CBTO is good/safe. • stuck with R22 and didn’t get sidetracked w/other powders. •velocity checks with a Magnetospeed are in line w/book load range. • I haven’t done a final zero yet, but groupings throughout seating depth test & also today are remarkably close/same on x & y axis from bullseye so a final zero should be quick.

Today’s 100 yard 10 round grouping is pictured. Shot in an underground tunnel range w-electronic target, so no paper. Unfortunately, the electronic receptor target as was seen through scope had been well shot up & the 1” target bullseye was non-existent/not visible. It looked like a 12 ga. turkey load test target that had been bad shot out. So, maintaining a reticle on center zero was a bit of a guess. The data screen & target pictured at the shooting bench monitor was electronic & not video, so it was showing the impacts on a target grid and not the receptor target on a camera or as seen through scope. I waited 3-4 minutes between shot to allow some barrel cooling.

Three more rounds were shot for MV. Average was 3,001 fps. Earlier MV checks were mostly in the 2,950 range. Could be speeding up.

Data screen shows 11 rounds, but for some reason #6 or #7 double recorded. #3 was probably well placed shot , but #6 was off & likely my mistake/goof. Target system says 11 (10 actually) round mean was 0.7”. I’ll get to the outdoors range soon as possible & get a final scope zero on this load & off paper, & then take it out to 400 yards.

Am I almost done? I hope so. Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Takeaways at this point are that I like what I see, Form’s method has real merit, and I won’t mess with the load as is until something makes me think otherwise, & next time I’ll use Form’s method as a basis for working up a new load.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpeg
    IMG_0642.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Fire_9

WKR
I just can't wrap my head around the .005" seating depth changes. I don't see such small changes being worth the time or components...

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I just can't wrap my head around the .005" seating depth changes. I don't see such small changes being worth the time or components...
I can’t say I disagree, and yes sir .005 changes probably were overkill especially with a standard, non micrometer seating die. Like I acknowledged this tinkering was not part of Form’s method, but I wanted to do this just to see for myself. The results certainly point to “load therm long & test” like Form does. I haven’t been reloading all that long, and it was a good learning exercise if nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Also, the 129 ABLR bullets used in this test are Nosler “factory seconds”. You can’t tell the difference between these & new in the box bullets and they apparently shoot just fine! I’ll save the new, good bullets for final hunting rounds.

Fire_9

WKR
I can’t say I disagree, and yes sir .005 changes probably were overkill especially with a standard, non micrometer seating die. Like I acknowledged this tinkering was not part of Form’s method, but I wanted to do this just to see for myself. The results certainly point to “load therm long & test” like Form does. I haven’t been reloading all that long, and it was a good learning exercise if nothing else.

Adjusting seating depth is fine but I'd suggest making much larger changes like .025" or greater. Any difference you'll see in .005" changes is all you...

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Adjusting seating depth is fine but I'd suggest making much larger changes like .025" or greater. Any difference you'll see in .005" changes is all you...
Again, can’t really disagree but I’m glad I tried it. Trying .025 changes would be a next step and quite logical if needed, but it shoots quite acceptably at this seating so I won’t mess with it for now.

I’ll confess that I got micro focused on doing this in very small increments because of a culmination of things I read and a YouTube video. Good exercise or waste of time, it definitely was a good learning experience so no regrets for doing it. I still have to take it out to 400 yards to test if it’ll hold together.