6.5 Banned on Elk by Outfitters?

Also, muledeerchaser in the above situation(s) you’re recommending something that weighs 40grs more than the typical 6.5 bullet (140gr) and is exactly .044 of an inch larger in diameter. A bad shot is a bad shot and a good shot is a good shot.

Edit to add: as far as your bridge analogy, a 6.5CM partition is made of the same metals and is not inherently weaker or stronger than a 30-06 Sp partition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wrote 3006 and up……. I am really glad you never designed any bridges or high-rise buildings because “making it stronger then it needs to be is a fundamental civil engineering principle”…………. Same goes for shooting elk or any big game for that matter…… Alaskan Game and Fish recommends 3006 and up for the taking of grizzly and brown bear….. no 6.5 CM found in their recommendations for big game……..

So happy we could bring this thread out of retirement. Anybody whos says a 6.5 isn’t enough to kill big game is a joke. They are the same guys who drive lifted trucks and shoot 300 mags to compensate for something lacking….its usually they are short or they have a small….

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Its not the calibers fault. My theory is the vast majority of 6.5 users who also need to use guides are the same person that doesn't have any business shooting at elk.

DIY guys are more likely prepared. Too many guided folks show up the day before and get their one shot on paper and think they are good, 6.5 is a craze.

I love my 6.5 and haven't lost an animal yet out of 20 or so deer, elk, moose. I shoot hundred of round a year 100-1000 yards. Most dont do this thus its their guns fault.

I dont blame the outfitters for banning the caliber though.

Its not the calibers fault. My theory is the vast majority of 6.5 users who also need to use guides are the same person that doesn't have any business shooting at elk.

DIY guys are more likely prepared. Too many guided folks show up the day before and get their one shot on paper and think they are good, 6.5 is a craze.

I love my 6.5 and haven't lost an animal yet out of 20 or so deer, elk, moose. I shoot hundred of round a year 100-1000 yards. Most dont do this thus its their guns fault.

I dont blame the outfitters for banning the caliber though.

You seriously think it’s just the guys that hire guides I have all my clients show up well prepared, I also set rules for the clients if they can’t prove they have shot 600 yards consistently they don’t shoot that far… a lot of it is in every caliber, people who don’t understand ballistics, and they hear the “new craze”. The guys bragging about a 1000 yard shot on an animal making them think it’s all the gun. The 6.5 craze made all these guys go buy one cause the average Joe blow shot that far, and now they need it just in case they have to shoot that far. If you don’t practice with any caliber you don’t need to be shooting that far. Regardless of caliber, if you don’t know the proper ft/lbs, and velocity of your bullet for proper expansion, you don’t need to be shooting any distance.

Curious as to the point of shooting that far? Flexing? Can’t get closer? Gotta show off?

*zap*

WKR
On a side note....

I hear the US military is changing to 6.8mm and ditching 5.56.

The Army has found its replacements for the M4 rifle and M249 Squad Automatic Weapon, handing out a contract to put new guns in the hands of tens of thousands of soldiers.
The force is awarding a 10-year, $20.4 million contract to Sig Sauer for the XM5 Rifle, which will become the new standard rifle for soldiers, and the XM250 Automatic Rifle, which will replace the SAW.
The service will also switch from 5.56mm ammo to 6.8mm, after a search for rounds better built to penetrate body armor.

Read more here:

You seriously think it’s just the guys that hire guides I have all my clients show up well prepared, I also set rules for the clients if they can’t prove they have shot 600 yards consistently they don’t shoot that far… a lot of it is in every caliber, people who don’t understand ballistics, and they hear the “new craze”. The guys bragging about a 1000 yard shot on an animal making them think it’s all the gun. The 6.5 craze made all these guys go buy one cause the average Joe blow shot that far, and now they need it just in case they have to shoot that far. If you don’t practice with any caliber you don’t need to be shooting that far. Regardless of caliber, if you don’t know the proper ft/lbs, and velocity of your bullet for proper expansion, you don’t need to be shooting any distance.

Curious as to the point of shooting that far? Flexing? Can’t get closer? Gotta show off?

Good response, use enough gun to help make a poor shot work and practice to become competent with your rifle……

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

No I don’t think it’s only them. I just said I think there’s a strong correlation between men who need guides to hunt and shoot the newest fad caliber out of expensive rifles and can’t hit the broad side of a barn at any distance. I’ve seen it many times, guides on spotters next to their client shoot at an elk over 10 times. At that point take the rifle away already and cancel the hunt. I’m happy to hear you make your clients shoot that distance before they hunt with you.

Not sure who that last comment is directed at. I surely don’t shoot at animals at 1,000 yards, and never will no matter how good at the range I am.

No I don’t think it’s only them. I just said I think there’s a strong correlation between men who need guides to hunt and shoot the newest fad caliber out of expensive rifles and can’t hit the broad side of a barn at any distance. I’ve seen it many times, guides on spotters next to their client shoot at an elk over 10 times. At that point take the rifle away already and cancel the hunt. I’m happy to hear you make your clients shoot that distance before they hunt with you.

Not sure who that last comment is directed at. I surely don’t shoot at animals at 1,000 yards, and never will no matter how good at the range I am.

The 1000 yard comment was to those that do shoot 1000 yards at animals. I shoot my .338 for practice at 1000 yards but still keep my animal shots way less than that. It’s almost like I tell my archery clients the furthest you can shoot at a controlled environment (target with your hunting gear) you cut in half and that is your max shot distance for live animals.