6.5 Creed vs 7mm-08 for Elk.

In reality, what's the difference between a 6.5 CM & 7MM-08 in 140 Grain ??
140 grain is 140 grain. Will the 7mm preform better on Elk?
Boxed ammo typically maxes out at 140 grain for both calibers.

OP
Short Track
Let's say an ACCUBOND, or Partition. 140 is 140, no matter the diameter, correct? Does the .5mm diameter hole make a difference ??

prm

WKR
When I was looking at the wound channel on a bull elk from a 6.5 140 Berger VLD, I would have been hard pressed to tell the difference between that and previous .338 bullet wound channels. Then I had a wound channel from a 6.5 139 Scenar that seemed a llittle small, but the buck didn't go for before dying. There are some key variables like hitting bone and bullet construction that could make the resulting wound of a large range of calibers overlap. They all do more than an arrow, and an arrow still kills just fine. My experience has led me to stop overthinking it.

I'd say no. The only difference (for most hunters) is slightly lower drag on the 6.5, which means it will lose velocity slower.

The 6.5 brass will last longer and stretch less if you reload the brass over and over, which means less trimming. But not typically a selling point for hunters.

mtnlomo

FNG
I don’t think there’s much difference. I don’t have a ton of experience with the 6.5, but I have killed a few deer and an elk with a 7-08. The 6.5 has more options for higher BC bullets if you like shooting longer ranges on the range. If you’re adamant about using both for long range hunting though, I wouldn’t choose either. For most reasonable hunting situations and distances though I don’t think there would be much of a difference.

In the end whichever ammo you can find more of right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
SD favors the 6.5. LOTS of elk have been killed with both. Neither needs a "tough" bullet as the MV is low enough that it will not over drive a light bullet, but may underperform with a thick skinned bullet.

This is akin to are blondes cuter than brunettes.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
If you handload, I'd go 7mm08 due to larger range of bullet weights.

For example - I have a load I'm working up with 162gr bullets and I'm sitting at 2750 fps. That will certainly outperform a 140gr bullet from a 6.5 at distance. Neither cartridge is a long-range hunting cartridge though.

For hunting at 300-400 yard distances its a toss up.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 bullets usually have a slightly better BC than 7mm in your standard 130-150gr hunting offerings. However, the 7mm-08 does have a little bit more schlitz, due to the case capacity that the Creedmoor gives up to fit long high BC bullets into a standard short action or AR-10 mag.

Those are all theoretically differences though. You'll find as much or more variation between individual loadings from various manufacturers as you will between the two cartridges themselves. In reality, if 1" of drop or 100fps of velocity is making the difference between a successful or unsuccessful shot, you're way too close to the margins to be taking it.

In today's market, buy what ammo you can find, and get the rifle to match. 7mm-08 should be easier to find, as it's not quite as much in demand as 6.5CM.

If you really want more performance, look at cartridges based on the '06 case. 6.5-06, 270, or 280 will all outperform their smaller cousins, and by an actual noticeable margin.

It's more of a Starbucks vs Dunkin Donuts type question. Are you a liberal or conservative? Blue blood or blue collar? Subaru or a truck? Hair stylist or barber? Hair on your beanbag or manscaped? Pee sitting down or pee standing up? Elton John or John Wayne?

Answer those questions and the answer to which caliber is for you will become obvious.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
It's more of a Starbucks vs Dunkin Donuts type question. Are you a liberal or conservative? Blue blood or blue collar? Subaru or a truck? Hair stylist or barber? Hair on your beanbag or manscaped? Pee sitting down or pee standing up? Elton John or John Wayne?

Answer those questions and the answer to which caliber is for you will become obvious.

There's always .260 Remington.

Oh wait, it wasn't supported by the tacticool market, fancy targetshooters, and it didn't have a cool name. Nevermind.

OP
Short Track
Out of all the guns I own, my 6.5CM is the most accurate. After that, my .243's are all accurate. My 7mm-08's, and I have a few, none of them really group well. Not even a Tikka 7mm-08.

WCB

WKR
factory 140gr Nosler Accubond...difference +150-175fps in favor of 7-08. More energy at 500 yards (120ftlbs or so) than the 6.5 and less drop than the 6.5.

The B.C. for the 6.5 helps a little with wind 10mph about 1/2moa @ 500 yards.

I hate that B.C. is the catch phrase for ammo or caliber selection no days. Now shooting 500+ yards ok it starts to matter. For 99.9% of guys and hunting situations WHO CARES.

The 6.5 bullets usually have a slightly better BC than 7mm in your standard 130-150gr hunting offerings. However, the 7mm-08 does have a little bit more schlitz, due to the case capacity that the Creedmoor gives up to fit long high BC bullets into a standard short action or AR-10 mag.

Those are all theoretically differences though. You'll find as much or more variation between individual loadings from various manufacturers as you will between the two cartridges themselves. In reality, if 1" of drop or 100fps of velocity is making the difference between a successful or unsuccessful shot, you're way too close to the margins to be taking it.

In today's market, buy what ammo you can find, and get the rifle to match. 7mm-08 should be easier to find, as it's not quite as much in demand as 6.5CM.

If you really want more performance, look at cartridges based on the '06 case. 6.5-06, 270, or 280 will all outperform their smaller cousins, and by an actual noticeable margin.
I was in Walmart today and the only two boxes of ammo on the whole shelf were 6.5…I was surprised