6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Juan_ID

WKR
You know, as much as I REALLY want to try them in my Swede, I think I'm going to forego ordering any. I've got 1,000 140gr ELD-m to play with & I'm 100% sure they'll do the job.
I was in the same boat, was really wanting to try the 130 tmk but just bought a pile of 147 eldm’s so I too am passing for the time being as much as I don’t want to haha.

mt100gr.

WKR
I was in the same boat, was really wanting to try the 130 tmk but just bought a pile of 147 eldm’s so I too am passing for the time being as much as I don’t want to haha.
Me three!! Been checking often for the 130 TMK to show up and am ultimately passing on buying any. I'm in good shape on good .264 bullets and planning to add a 6mm soon (with all of the associated costs). Tough to see them in stock and have to make rational decisions 😀

You know, as much as I REALLY want to try them in my Swede, I think I'm going to forego ordering any. I've got 1,000 140gr ELD-m to play with & I'm 100% sure they'll do the job.
....and I just received a bunch more 129gr SST as an alternate to the unobtainable TMK ; - )

TMK is clearly 'more-better', but SST seem to work pretty well on whitetails. I'm overthinking again.

Midway also has 143 ELDX factory seconds on sale right now. I have been using the factory seconds and they shoot great. I cant tell any difference.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Midway also has 143 ELDX factory seconds on sale right now. I have been using the factory seconds and they shoot great. I cant tell any difference.
I know y’all are probably just looking for pills to reload, but I found 6 brand new boxes of 6.5 CM Hornady Precision Hunter ammo, using the 143 ELDX, in the back of my closet. Don’t need these as I shoot .260 Rem. Not sure if this ammo is tough to come by these days… If anyone wants to buy them PM me.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
....and I just received a bunch more 129gr SST as an alternate to the unobtainable TMK ; - )

TMK is clearly 'more-better', but SST seem to work pretty well on whitetails. I'm overthinking again.
Those 129 SSTs into vitals are fantastic! I’m a “lungs” aimer no matter the big game I’m hunting. I’ve vaporized dozens of lungs and shattered countless ribs with the 129 SSTs. Probably close to 100 deer and elk at this point personally with that bullet alone.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is there any factory ammo using the 130 TMK?
I think there was some browning branded ammo using these bullets a while back if I remember correctly. Same with some Federal factory ammo. Both of those were in .260 Rem though, and I haven’t seen it in years. I assume you’re asking about 6.5 CM? Not sure if they offered in 6.5CM but if they did in .260 they usually have it in 6.5CM as well.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus I've seen you advocate for the TMKs and ELD-Ms and I'm fairly confident that you must have spoken about Nosler Ballistic Tips, but I don't recall seeing anything. Where do you rank the NBTs versus the TMK and ELD series of bullets?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus I've seen you advocate for the TMKs and ELD-Ms and I'm fairly confident that you must have spoken about Nosler Ballistic Tips, but I don't recall seeing anything. Where do you rank the NBTs versus the TMK and ELD series of bullets?

NBT’s are good. In general they do not upset or fragment nearly of violently, and therefore create a narrower wound. Usually that means they penetrate a little deeper, however when a bullet stays together more the frontal diameter is larger, and that inhibits penetration.

Some NBT’s are fanatic however. The 95gr NBT was designed from the start to maximize the 243win for elk and deer. It kills very well. Likewise if someone wants a bit more penetration the 30cal 180gr NBT for magnums and the 165gr NBT for 308’s.

The overall issue with NBT’s is their relatively low BC. Combine that with narrower wounds, and they are not my preference.

... still overthinking things, but I finally found some 130gr TMK !

To be clear I haven't seen a white tail walk away from a 129gr SST, but I'm curious

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 70

nobody

WKR
... still overthinking things, but I finally found some 130gr TMK !

To be clear I haven't seen a white tail walk away from a 129gr SST, but I'm curious
This does beg the question:

Anybody performing field necropsies (a-la Form style) have experience comparing internal damage between the ELDM and the SST? I'm sold on the ELDM's, but man can you get 140 SST's for a lot cheaper around here. And they're easier to come by too. Yes I know they'll both kill, but what's the practical difference between the two, ballistic coefficient and jacket thicknesses aside.

I've got a big fat pile of ELDM's for now, but I do wonder about the SST's...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This does beg the question:

Anybody performing field necropsies (a-la Form style) have experience comparing internal damage between the ELDM and the SST? I'm sold on the ELDM's, but man can you get 140 SST's for a lot cheaper around here. And they're easier to come by too. Yes I know they'll both kill, but what's the practical difference between the two, ballistic coefficient and jacket thicknesses aside.

I've got a big fat pile of ELDM's for now, but I do wonder about the SST's...
No scientific "necropsies" for me, just close to 100 dead deer and elk over the last many years using 129 grain SST's only.

I think there was some browning branded ammo using these bullets a while back if I remember correctly. Same with some Federal factory ammo. Both of those were in .260 Rem though, and I haven’t seen it in years. I assume you’re asking about 6.5 CM? Not sure if they offered in 6.5CM but if they did in .260 they usually have it in 6.5CM as well.
The Browning ammo came in a Creedmoor variety as well. I do not believe I saw it more than once though. Sportsman's had a few boxes during the covid shortage.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
How does that bullet do out of a creedmoor?
Not sure about factory ammo, but I've got a couple samples in the first post of this thread.

I get 2650 fps with RL16 out of a 22" barrel. In my rifle they are probably one of the most accurate bullets I've tried. I'm just under pressure signs to get that velocity, though. The couple animals I've killed with them have had very satisfactory terminal results.

I will likely be stepping back to 130-140 class bullets once my current supply is gone, though. I don't like loading right next to pressure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Terminal reports I’ve read here and elsewhere look great. Same with accuracy. Personally I haven’t shot the 156 yet. First time I’ve caught it in stock so I got my 2 boxes coming.
Do you know where to find load data for that bullet? I’d like to try it.