6.5 Creedmoor AR Platform

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
I want to pick everyone’s brain on what would be the best AR platform 6.5 Creed?

Took my Rock River carbine in 5.56 to the range last week, and it shot very well out to 500. I’m already deep in the long range game with custom bolt guns, but this kind of gave me the thought of building a long range gas gun. Any recommendations appreciated.

Graves14

WKR
Primary Weapon Systems. Long Stroke Piston instead of DI, made right here in Idaho, seriously high quality AR’s

Tahoe1305

WKR
If saving weight is on the list 2A armament. 1/2lb less for reciever set than any other and awesome build quality. Pay a bit for it though.

OP
Hmr

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
Some nice options there. Anyone have any experience in a set like this with Larue or LMT?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Some nice options there. Anyone have any experience in a set like this with Larue or LMT?

Bunches. The ability to quickly change barrels with the LMT, alone make it worth it, however they are built correct with LMT and KAC being the top two truly reliable AR10/SR25 platforms available. Larue makes a good rifle as well.
LMT’s usually shoot very well, however you have to understand that big frame gas guns are not AR15’s. Once you get past reliability and fit issues, they are just harder to shoot consistently. It is not uncommon to have someone that is a legit 1 MOA for 10 round groups with a bolt gun, who is 2+ MOA with an equally capable large frame gas gun. Learning to shoot them well, especially from field positions is a skill unto itself.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Are you truly building or wanting to simply buy?

Prone and bench shooting, or positional competition in mind?

I’ve built dozens of LFAR’s, many intended for long range shooting. My latest is a 6mm Creed on Aero receivers with an SLR handguard and a Proof barrel, Geissele NM 2 stage - but I just swapped into an Elftman trigger for match shooting (single stage, flat shoe, more consistent with my bolt action match rifles).

Building a precision LFAR is disappointingly expensive compared to bolt guns, so I recommend pricing out your build before putting any money down. I use a piece-by-piece spreadsheet for all of my builds to account for parts and for budget planning. Equally, despite the added costs, they won’t shoot as small and aren’t as “shootable.”Go into this expense with eyes wide open.

If I were buying a shelf model, it would be a Seekins, JP, or GAP.

BAKPAKR

WKR
If possible, I would try to handle whatever option you decided to go with before buying. My friend has an LMT in 308. It just feels heavy. The Daniel Defense 308 felt better in my hands, even though it is not much lighter on paper. DD also makes a Creedmoor.

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Seekins Precision SP10 builders set. That extent ended tenon on the upper receiver is no joke, the 2 6cm’s I’ve built on them with +2 rifle gas systems have been outstanding. Lots of good options out there.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If possible, I would try to handle whatever option you decided to go with before buying. My friend has an LMT in 308. It just feels heavy. The Daniel Defense 308 felt better in my hands, even though it is not much lighter on paper. DD also makes a Creedmoor.

The LMT is heavy if you don’t get the lightweight barrel. However, the monolithic upper offers advantages that no other upper can. Whether those are important to a person or not is up to them.

OP
Hmr

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
Weight isn’t really a concern for me, since I’m used to running around with a 14# rum. I do like what I’ve been seeing with the LMT MWS as being a solid platform.
I would be shooting this rifle suppressed almost exclusively. From what I’ve seen, the LMT does not have an adjustable gas block. Are there options to make an adjustment if needed?
I’m still kicking around whether to just buy this piece, or just do a build. I do realize this is a different realm than the bolt gun world I’m used to, so I have some learning to do. It would be fun to learn it through a build, since a couple friends have some good experience with this concept.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Weight isn’t really a concern for me, since I’m used to running around with a 14# rum. I do like what I’ve been seeing with the LMT MWS as being a solid platform.
I would be shooting this rifle suppressed almost exclusively. From what I’ve seen, the LMT does not have an adjustable gas block. Are there options to make an adjustment if needed?
I’m still kicking around whether to just buy this piece, or just do a build. I do realize this is a different realm than the bolt gun world I’m used to, so I have some learning to do. It would be fun to learn it through a build, since a couple friends have some good experience with this concept.

On the LMT you can use an adjustable bolt carrier or modify the gas block to be adjustable, however with low back pressure cans the LMT is fine. With high back pressure cans you can use an extra heavy buffer to calm it down, though it should run as is.

Building versus buying depends on how well you want it to work. You can piece together a gun that works, but the chances of getting a “project” are significantly higher than with a reputable factory built one.

OP
Hmr

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’re right about a build possibly turning into a real “project”. At the end of the day, accuracy and reliability are my main standards. As for the back pressure, I have an AAC sdn6 .30 cal can, so maybe it would work fine.
On my 5.56, I use a .22 cal surefire can, and I
know I have to do an adjustment since
it throws my shells in a 16” diameter circle at about 2:00 instead of around 4:00.

Dingus

FNG
not an AR and not sure of your budget, but the SCAR 20 is now offered in 6.5 CM. Reviews seem good and holds resale if you don’t like it.

My SCAR 17 is very accurate; only added a trigger.
D010FAC9-1123-4654-9581-0D900C336461.jpeg

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a full Seekins SP-10 in 6.5 Creedmore. It's fairly heavy, but it shoots really nice. I've not had any issues with it, and it jas been reliable. I shoot a lot of 3 gun and bought this rifle to use in matches where they have some long range bonus targets.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk