6.5 Creedmoor Barnes LRX H4350

cmahoney

Looking for some advice here. I started working on a new load for my Tikka with the following:

New Hornady brass
CCI 200 primers
H4350
Barnes 127 LRX

5,000 the off my lands is 2.867 COAL. The Barnes book lists their load at 2.720, with a max charge of 40.4 grains at 2736 FPS (24” barrel).

I started out with a COAL of 2.867 at 38.2 grains, working up to 41.4 grains. My issue is detecting pressure signs. My bolt felt fine, all the primers look flat to me, just like they always have and I can’t see any obvious marks on the case head.

The MV spread between 41, 41.2 and 41.4 grains was 4 FPS from 2774-2778. Obviously this is a node and I would like to stay in this charge weight.

Does anyone think I’m pushing it?
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190918/ea0f93b9e63e28ff89748a7731ea1e06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mulyhuntr

No, you’re not pushing it. I get 2925fps with a 120gmx and 43.3gr of h4350 from my 24” tikka superlite.

The edges of your primers still look pretty round.

Muley Buck

I agree, I dont think so either. I get a 122 gr Lehigh C.C.C. 2900 fps with 44.5 gr of H4350 in my Tikka CTR 24".

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

Thanks, I’ll stick that node for now. This will be my first year using copper bullets, at least for CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericwh

Getting ready to start with this same load (except different primers).

Mulyhuntr

I can’t get copper bullets to shoot worth a darn out of my 6.5’s or 243. I’m in CA too, so they may just get a nice ride in the magazine and something that shoots better stuffed in the chamber if the need arises.

deerkiller

cci 200's are the lowest on the brisance chart - don't know what you are planning with this load but from your pics I agree that your primers look fine - 210 Fed primers seem to be favored by many to include myself - H4350 is a well mannered powder, sometimes primers are silent in the process and other times a primer change can be the answer
Fed 210M
Fed 210
cci BR2
cci 200
the only primers I use, have used for standard cartridges are 210M and occasionally cci 250 (work up with those) this is not due to supply or ignorance, I've just never needed any others

Last edited:

Tartan

I'm no quickload expert, but I did put your data in and tweaked case volume and burn rate to hit the velocities you got. It's showing around 54kpsi for a velocity of 2775 and H4350. The book load shows around 52kpsi with the default settings on burn rate and case volume and the velocity was within 10fps of the book.

obviously quickload is only as good as the inputs, but to me it looks like you're still well under any risk area.

when you mention 5,000 off the lands, do you mean 0.005" of the lands (five thousandths)? I believe that barnes recommends a more like 0.050" (fifty thousandths) due to possible pressure spikes with the mono bullet. I could be mixing that up with etips or some other mono bullet though.

deerkiller

I'm no quickload expert, but I did put your data in and tweaked case volume and burn rate to hit the velocities you got. It's showing around 54kpsi for a velocity of 2775 and H4350. The book load shows around 52kpsi with the default settings on burn rate and case volume and the velocity was within 10fps of the book.

obviously quickload is only as good as the inputs, but to me it looks like you're still well under any risk area.

when you mention 5,000 off the lands, do you mean 0.005" of the lands (five thousandths)? I believe that barnes recommends a more like 0.050" (fifty thousandths) due to possible pressure spikes with the mono bullet. I could be mixing that up with etips or some other mono bullet though.
BOTH Nosler and Barnes practice and preach this, I would assume that any monolithic bullet would be capable of the same things - I was talking with a Nosler employee who had begun using etips in his rifle in anticipation of an African hunt, he was citing quite slow velocities which simply tells me even "insider" Nosler folks avoid over pressure - I have not experienced like this at all, just be very careful as you advance, every single rifle barrel / chamber is unique

Last edited: