6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 140 ELDM for Bull Elk

Good morning fellas. I am taking my 6.5 CM to Colorado for 2nd rifle this year. I’ve read a decent amount concerning match grade bullets being used for elk successfully and consistently. I’m wondering if this bullet is up to the task? If so, what about max effective range on elk, and what shots would one avoid? With all due respect, I don’t care to hear any suggestions about using something bigger, or 30 cal this or that. This is my rifle, and if I happen to see a legal bull elk, I will be attempting to harvest him with this gun. BTW, Remington 700 SPS AACSD with 22” 8 twist. Competent to 5-600 yards under ideal circumstances. Don’t think I’d attempt any further, and only that range with near perfect conditions. Thank you for your input. Bill

These threads are a good read for what you're looking for.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve witnessed several bulls and cows killed with a Creedmoor out to 450 yards. Most of them one shot kills. Take your gun and go hunting! Good luck.

OP
N
Thanks Gadjet! Do you know what bullet? I’m seeing a lot of eldx, Berger otms, vlds, etc, and other Match bullet like eldms. I have about 500 rounds of 140 eldms, and they are great in my Remington. If they are as good as the other, I assume hunt with them, s as I’m comfortable with and the Hornady 4DOF app.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Dude… Please don’t. Bull Elk are legitimately “tough” and not always easy to kill. They deserve our respect and for us to use appropriate calibers and bullets. IMO, 308 30-06, 7 REM mag and the like should be minimum with good bullets that will hold together.

There’s a reason that many outfitters have forbidden the Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk. It’s a target round, not even intended to be a hunting round. I have no issue with guys shooting them at Deer, but Elk are not Mule Deer. They’re many times more difficult to kill cleanly and consistently.

brockel

WKR
Dude… Please don’t. Bull Elk are legitimately “tough” and not always easy to kill. They deserve our respect and for us to use appropriate calibers and bullets. IMO, 308 30-06, 7 REM mag and the like should be minimum with good bullets that will hold together.

There’s a reason that many outfitters have forbidden the Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk. It’s a target round, not even intended to be a hunting round. I have no issue with guys shooting them at Deer, but Elk are not Mule Deer. They’re many times more difficult to kill cleanly and consistently.
You do know what the 308 and 30-06 were originally designed for right?

OP
N

There’s a reason that many outfitters have forbidden the Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk. It’s a target round, not even intended to be a hunting round. I have no issue with guys shooting them at Deer, but Elk are not Mule Deer. They’re many times more difficult to kill cleanly and consistentl

You carry your elephant gun. As I said I don’t wanna hear 30 cal anything. Thanks for your concern but case closed.

OP
N
You do know what the 308 and 30-06 were originally designed for right?
That’s right brockel. I think most folks put too much into what they have heard or what their daddy told them. Way too many events of 6.5 cm killing bull elk for me to be hesitant. I’m most confident in my gun, the cartridges accuracy, and if many are using it that’s what I want to use.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
What is TMK? Not familiar???
bye-alice-rabbit-hole.gif

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
These threads are hilarious..

First- Mostly people just want confirmation of a decision that they’ve already made. They want to hear that of course, they’re right

Second- How many Elk have the guys giving the confirmation bias, have they killed, seen killed, or helped kill? Probably fewer than you might think.

I’m completely comfortable with my advice….. and BTW, I would hardly say the rounds that I suggested as minimums, are cannons.

There's a good video put out by Vortex, showing how the 6.5 out preforms the .308.

any my personal experience proves the 6.5CM with accubonds kills Moose... Caribou.. Aoudad. Not so good on Antelope..

OP
N
These threads are hilarious..

First- Mostly people just want confirmation of a decision that they’ve already made. They want to hear that of course, they’re right

Second- How many Elk have the guys giving the confirmation bias, have they killed, seen killed, or helped kill? Probably fewer than you might think.

I’m completely comfortable with my advice….. and BTW, I would hardly say the rounds that I suggested as minimums, are cannons.
This is why I didn’t want input from the 30 cal crowd. Let me ask you one question…how many elk have you shot or WITNESSED being shot with a 6.5cm?

To answer OP's question, I think the general consensus is that the range should be limited to 1800FPS on ELD-M's. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

That is likely beyond the 500-600 yard limit you self-imposed. My buddy has killed a pile of Bull Elk out to 500 with ELD-X (factory rounds), but with the match bullets I would not try to punch through the shoulder - slip it just behind the front legs.