6.5 Creedmoor Scope

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for scope suggestions to put on my ruger American predator. No long range experience so I’m looking at “budget” options under $400 which will be used for targets only at this point; possible field use in the future.

I have a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 on my Ruger American 6.5. I with the correct dials I can shoot comfortable out to 800 yards. Could probably go further but just haven’t had the chance yet. I got a deal on my scope when I bought it and paid about $450 for it. I like the wider field of view with the 50mm objective compared to a 40-42, but it does come with an added weight to it. Either way I don’t think you can go too wrong with it though, that gun should be a shooter!

Looking for scope suggestions to put on my ruger American predator. No long range experience so I’m looking at “budget” options under $400 which will be used for targets only at this point; possible field use in the future.

How far do you anticipate shooting.

Numerous options available. The 6.5 CM is a great “paper puncher” as well as a hunting cartridge. I’ve used it for a large variety of game and have been very impressed with its overall utility. Low blast and recoil, consistent accuracy, and punches way above its weight on game.

The 6.5CM isn’t a superfast or extremely flat shooting round, so in your position I’d probably be opting for either some kind of holdover reticle or BDC turret for shooting longer ranges. Since you also mentioned that you also may use this setup for hunting a bright glass that isn’t overly huge or doesn’t weigh a ton is also important.

With less expensive scopes I’m uncertain of the reliability of precise tracking of BDC turrets, but holdover reticles always work. Many options available, too many in fact. Personally, I’ve had good luck with Leupold. But a lot of new manufacturers have shown up making great stuff within the past few years. Wouldn’t hurt to give the guys at Cameraland a call to see what they’d recommend in your price range. But if you plan to hunt with it stay away from tactical or overly huge/heavy glass.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Mine has a 6x SWFA on it. It’s worked well on caribou out to ~ 400yds as well as plenty of smaller predators.