6.5 Creedmoor vs .308: Which is more of a "Killer"

OP
General RE LEE
I also have a great load with the 178 grain ELD-X for my 308. Hammers the steel plate with much more authority than 143 ELD-X

p5200

FNG
I was debating the same two cartridges not too long ago and went with the 6.5 due to lower recoil and better down range ballistics. I took three animals with it last year and have no regrets. If anything, I’d go smaller now. I’m in the process of picking up a 223 bolt gun. The ammo is way cheaper for practice. And I am confident that, with the right bullets, it’ll handle anything I’m hunting these days.
I've used my Savage 10fp in .223 with good performance. I was going to upgrade the stock but, it's been shooting so good I think I will leave it as is.

OP
General RE LEE
I decided to go with my Tikka UPR in 308. I loaded up 50, 178 grain ELD-X last night over Ramshot TAC. Very accurate load and a heavy for caliber bullet with good weight retention.

A lot of the decision comes down to the ergonomics of the rifle. I prefer the UPR stock for a hunting rifle than the KRG Bravo. My Tikka CTR is in a Bravo chassis. Also, my 308 has a Zeiss Conquest V6 vs the V4 on my Creedmoor.

Although both calibers are excellent IMO for whitetail deer, I don't think anyone can go wrong with a 308 in a good rifle and some practice.

xsn10s

WKR
I decided to go with my Tikka UPR in 308. I loaded up 50, 178 grain ELD-X last night over Ramshot TAC. Very accurate load and a heavy for caliber bullet with good weight retention.

A lot of the decision comes down to the ergonomics of the rifle. I prefer the UPR stock for a hunting rifle than the KRG Bravo. My Tikka CTR is in a Bravo chassis. Also, my 308 has a Zeiss Conquest V6 vs the V4 on my Creedmoor.

Although both calibers are excellent IMO for whitetail deer, I don't think anyone can go wrong with a 308 in a good rifle and some practice.
My buddy killed plenty of elk with his 308 Win/ 165gr Partition loads 0-300 yards. I'd say it would kill deer well too. I killed a Texas buck with my 308 win before I sold it. It was just too pretty and I worried more about scratching it more than hunting lol.

OP
General RE LEE
My buddy killed plenty of elk with his 308 Win/ 165gr Partition loads 0-300 yards. I'd say it would kill deer well too. I killed a Texas buck with my 308 win before I sold it. It was just too pretty and I worried more about scratching it more than hunting lol.

300 yards my 178 ELD-X load has 1840 lbs KE. Every deer I've shot with a 308 has died quickly.

Vern400

WKR
Which one do you shoot better in field conditions? You're comparing 2 very similar cartridges. You have to be shooting past 400 yards before any meaningful difference occurs. Most folks talk smack and buy based on specs but in reality the vast majority of game is taken at shorter ranges.

Love me a 308. But I ask myself how far I would depend on it, and I see by that distance, the 6.5 might have the edge. Then I ask myself, why wouldn’t I depend on the 6.5 at closer than that distance where it’s only better?

For me, because hunting to closer range is the fun part.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Statistically speaking the 308 as it has been killing for much longer and effectively on all game 2 or 4 legged. Theres a soft spot for a 308 in my heart after the amount of rounds I've put through one and trusted my life to. I'm sure there are many more who feel the same.

I honestly don’t think you’ll be able to see a difference between the two cartridges on whitetail deer. Shoot whichever one you are shooting better that week.