Chopping 308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What range and at what velocity do you need?

I think either is fine for cutting back. Historically, I would have said 308 given the larger diameter, but I think the difference in velocity loss is minimal.

Which do you like using better?

I think 16.5 is a good length.

The 6.5 has lower recoil and better long distance ballistics, it will maintain both of those in a shot barrel. While I currently have a 308, I want to rebarrel to 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor. That that would be my vote.

On the other end of things, the 308 recoils harder, so the suppressor will do more for improving shoot-ability.

Do you know your current velocity? If you have applied ballistics you can estimate the worse case range scenario from the velocity loss. If you do not have applied ballistics, provide the following information and I can give you an estimate (though both from a short barrel will get you to 400 yards easily unless you must use monos).

-Twist rate
-Bullet (needed expansion velocity if known)
-Altitude
-Current MV if known and current barrel length (worst case is loosing 50 fps per inch, usually you loose closer to 30 fps)

mt100gr.

WKR
Thank you!

Picked up a Roughtech lite and thinking about cutting it down since 24” is long with a can.
For me, now that I have the suppressor, it will end up on everything. The other side of that coin is that 24.3" Tikkas in 6.5 CM are capable of some great velocity. I still have a superlite that comfortably pushes the 147gr at 2800+fps...so there's obviously a trade off and a few things to unlearn about getting the bullet where it needs to go. I absolutely love hunting and shooting with the suppressor and actually plan to rebarrel that rifle, but initially I had second thoughts about a few of them leaving a lot of velocity on the table.

sturner88

FNG
Also curious the difference between 16 and 18 inches. Not necessarily the velocity which is constantly discussed but the way the rifle reacts. Even though the rifle will be suppressed, how big of a difference is there in muzzle jump, concussion, recoil, consistency in muzzle velocity etc.

If 16-18" is considered the acceptable minimum to ideal, how big of a tradeoff is there in those 2 inches?

427adam

FNG
I recently cut 4" off and threaded the barrel of my T3X Lite 308 (22.4 down to 18.4") with the intent of suppressed hunting inside of 300yds. Can currently in jail. The rifle shot well out of the box. Havent had an opportunity to go to the range and find out if I messed it up or not. Any care to share what (if any) changes in accuracy seen after shortening a sporter barrel?