6.5 grendel or 7mm-08

Looking for non bias opinions from the masses. I'm live in kodiak ak trying to build a lightweight, lowish recoil bolt action rifle. It's going to be a mid range gun (+/-350 yard max), with a vast majority of the shots much less. I have a 300wm for large game, this rifles main purpose is for deer, goat and maybe elk (unless I want to bring 300wm). I'm hung up between a 6.5 grendel and 7mm-08. I currently own a 6.5g ar15 that I like for blacktail's. I'm not a caliber expert and would like to hear from others experience.

These will get you started! Good luck on your caliber search!

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I am huge fan of 6.5 G but in that circumstance would choose 7-08. The Grendel really shines as an incredible performer in the AR platform but no real reason to choose it for a bolt gun. The ammo is not cheaper than 7-08, there is not a significant difference in action weight (unless looking at the howa super lite and then the nod goes to 7-08), and the recoil on both is super manageable.
when those are the variables, and especially if elk might be involved, then I would pick the stronger performance of 7-08 every time.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Those two are such odd ball choices to me. I am straight up not a 6.5 G fan… I’ve owned one, sold it, never again. I would consider a 6 ARC (superior in every way to me), or a 22 ARC (if you like new hotness). I realize you are alr3ady bought in... that’s the logistics tail wagging the performance dog.

7mm-08 is a great cartridge. It has the ass to push 160 call bullets (160 TMK, 162 ELD-M) with enough authority to make 6.5 CM fans harumph in displeasure… except you won’t find anyone that loads those from the factory and standard short action COAL is an issue,

I honestly don’t know what to tell you… I’d take a 6 Creedmoor over either, and a 6.5 Creedmoor over the -08 simply for the factory ammo… and they are both less recoil than the -08. I’d take the 6 ARC every day of the week and twice on Sundays over the 6.5 G.

I own several bolt guns in both chamberings, and I love them both, but I see them as fairly different. I think the 7-08 is far more powerful than the Grendel and that gives you more options. I’ve killed 5 elk with the 6.5 Creedmoor and I have full confidence a Grendel could get it done with the right bullet, but in the smaller casing bullet choice become paramount. I’d want something I know would penetrate, like an Accubond. In the bullet weights applicable for a Grendel I just think it’s more limited for those stoutly constructed projectiles, and if one of those big bears showed up to check out your gut pile…

i think the 7-08 just has a bit more flexibility. It also has the ability to shoot a bit further and still drive the bullets fast enough to upset enough for a good wound cavity. Being where you live I’d lean that way personally. But again, have to say I do love the Grendel!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Of the two, 6.5 has sufficient velocity with the right bullet and lower recoil. You already have experience with it, any reason why you wouldn't want to shoot it as a bolt?

bbell

WKR
My ar-15 Grendel with 16” barrel shoots 2450fps and that puts it at 1800fps just past 400yds. This is with factory 123gr eldm ammo. I haven’t had to shoot that far, two deer and a bear, longest shot has been 125yds. Just for reference if it helps. Got to go with what your comfortable with.

Between those two options, the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel seems like just the ticket. Bonus points if you chop barrel to 14.5 inches, pin/weld a suppressor mount beyond 16 inches, and rock a short suppressor. That would be a wicked hunting package inside 350 yards.

That said, if you're not a caliber expert and don't care about people pitching you shit, based on the battery of rifles you already have and the uses you listed, I would say a 6mm or 6.5 Creed will be a better purchase than either Grendel or 7mm-08.

OP
J
Between those two options, the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel seems like just the ticket. Bonus points if you chop barrel to 14.5 inches, pin/weld a suppressor mount beyond 16 inches, and rock a short suppressor. That would be a wicked hunting package inside 350 yards.

That said, if you're not a caliber expert and don't care about people pitching you shit, based on the battery of rifles you already have and the uses you listed, I would say a 6mm or 6.5 Creed will be a better purchase than either Grendel or 7mm-08.
A 6mm Creedmoor does sound interesting...

Either of them are good choices. The 7-08 will give you a bit more options to load up and extend your range a bit, but at the cost of more recoil. The Grendel is super easy to shoot.

With Starline offering good brass for both now, the availability of brass is no longer the issue it was a couple of years ago. If Lapua ever starts offering these two again, you have even better options.

For me, based on your criteria, I would go with the Grendel. The Howa mini would be a great platform. I personally avoid it due to the 2-stage trigger. I hate them. I realize there are aftermarket options, but I would also have to go with an aftermarket magazine set up on it, and now you are talking about having to do too much work to get a "factory offering" right. I went with a Ruger American Predator, had the barrel chopped to 18" and rethreaded and modified two 10 round AR mags to shorten them and make them 5 round mags.

That being said, I also have a couple 7-08s and they are awesome. If you do decide to go that route, watch out, you may end up putting that 300 in the safe and never taking it out again.

wyosam

WKR
Either of them are good choices. The 7-08 will give you a bit more options to load up and extend your range a bit, but at the cost of more recoil. The Grendel is super easy to shoot.

With Starline offering good brass for both now, the availability of brass is no longer the issue it was a couple of years ago. If Lapua ever starts offering these two again, you have even better options.

For me, based on your criteria, I would go with the Grendel. The Howa mini would be a great platform. I personally avoid it due to the 2-stage trigger. I hate them. I realize there are aftermarket options, but I would also have to go with an aftermarket magazine set up on it, and now you are talking about having to do too much work to get a "factory offering" right. I went with a Ruger American Predator, had the barrel chopped to 18" and rethreaded and modified two 10 round AR mags to shorten them and make them 5 round mags.

That being said, I also have a couple 7-08s and they are awesome. If you do decide to go that route, watch out, you may end up putting that 300 in the safe and never taking it out again.

Haven’t looked at lapua’s recent offerings, but Alpha makes 7-08, and it’s been easy to find available. Every bit as good as Lapua, and US made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider

Exactly what I did, but cut to 16” to not anger the letter people. Full mag, VX5HD, and can at 6.75lbs and shoots .75 MOA with 129gr ABLR factory loads at 2,300.

Attachments

• IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3159.jpeg
    IMG_3159.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 38

Unckebob

WKR
It is better to have to much energy that too little.

In your situation, I would get the 7-08. If availability is an issue for the 7-08 is an issue, get 6.5CM.

go with the grendel. a 6.5 bullet is just that, it doesn't care if it came from a creed a swede or a grendel. there is no difference to the animal either, so long as you choose the correct design and velocity for your intended range. having too much power is worse than having just enough, you will be able to make better shots with the lesser recoil and precision is what really matters.

Rich M

WKR
Grendel has 1/2 the recoil of 7mm-08. Good for modest ranges.

7mm-08 more powerful and still a light cartridge but not near as light.

Unckebob

WKR
Grendel has 1/2 the recoil of 7mm-08. Good for modest ranges.

7mm-08 more powerful and still a light cartridge but not near as light.

I get that, but he mentioned he "might" take it Elk hunting. If that is not a consideration, I would agree with you.

OP
J
I get that, but he mentioned he "might" take it Elk hunting. If that is not a consideration, I would agree with you.
The more I'm thinking about it, im leaning towards the grendel. If I go out for elk I will probably just take my 300wm. It would be on afognak island, and there are alot of aggressive grizzlies there. So 300wm would probably be the best bet there in case you have a problem bear.