6.5 PRC action question- LA or SA

KSBackCountryHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at a Zermatt Origin action for a 6.5PRC build. Wanted to do a muley/whitetail build - but any reason why I wouldn’t go the long action route? I like the idea of just swapping a barrel to instantly convert to a 300 for elk or bigger down the road if needed although I know a 6.5 could handle that too. Just wondering why people would go the short action route instead unless it’s the sole purpose of the rifle. Thoughts/preferences on action length? TIA

eoperator

WKR
Maybe split the difference and go 7 prc to save yourself some $ for an all in 1 package?

After buying the 7prc you will likely want a 6cm'ish rifle to save money on ammo and your shoulder.

For me long action aics mags are a real drag, they are to big heavy and loud for a hunting rifle in my opinion.

I have an origin in 6dasher it is currently my favorite rifle to shoot. The manual ejector is nice I wish more actions had this. The arc cdg lite action would be another option at the same price point.

Bix n andy dakota tiggers were designed with fewer parts for better reliability in the field. Bullet central has refurbished dakotas for $130 (cosmetic blems).

Add a rokstock and a prefit barrel to the origin length of your choice for a solid performing modular and affordable rifle.

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
I built my 300wsm on a defiance anti short action.
I wanted the couple oz weight savings plus shorter bolt throw.
I only planned on running 180gr bullets, so the 2.98" mag COAL isn't limiting me by any means.
but if you build it on a long action and decided your bored of the 6.5PRC you can get a barrel spun up for any cartridge using a long action.

ID_Matt

WKR
I would base your decision based off of what mag/bottom metal you are going to use. The hawkins hunter mags with spacer feeds PRC and saum cartridges great in a long action. AICS mags are tough to get consistent in my opinion. I could never get a saum to feed perfect from a long. BDL should work fine, but I don't love them.

Weldor

WKR
I have both LA and SA, IMHO the long action seems much smoother. Both rifles are shooters. One is Fierce Fury LA Candian made stainless steel with steel mag. The other is the Fierce Carbon Roque CR SA. Plastic mag. I'm going to re-barrel the Fury when I wear it out but will stay with the 6.5 and a new CF bbl.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
long actions are longer and heavier for no reason if you want that cartridge. Factory 6.5PRC ammo will fit in a short.

As the owner of a Bighorn SA in 6.5 Sherman Short, I would go SA again for any of the short action mags (but do think highly of the Sherman's chamber design)

Now, because of the recent 7PRC, I increasingly wish I had a long action. But I wouldn't go the Origin route for that, Id go Tikka.

Woitey

FNG
If you handload you'll want the long action so you can seat the bullet for the best accuracy in your particular rifle. If you don't handload, and have no plans to do so, I'd go with the short action. My Cooper came with the long action and I do handload. It beats the half-inch accuracy at 100 yards guaranteed by Cooper for three shots. When I haven't drank too much coffee that morning...

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
If you handload you'll want the long action so you can seat the bullet for the best accuracy in your particular rifle.
For OP's sake, I contest that you will find no meaningful difference in accuracy between the two length options. A good barrel and bullet combo will shoot

The seating depth discussion was inevitable with this topic, so I will just say that I do also subscribe to the "close to the rifling for best accuracy" ideology.

But ultimately, if I must go LA just to accomodate seating bullets in a 6.5PRC--then I now have a LA and wouldn't run a 6.5PRC. Its main attraction to me is that it can be run in a SA

Woitey

FNG
I don't disagree with anything you said. But finding a consistent factory load that likes the bullet/barrel combo, being reasonably priced, and having it available in a big box store and an LGS for the life of the barrel is the rub. Especially during these times. I was dismayed when I purchased my Cooper just for the very reason you gave. But it shoots, better than their guarantee with handloads, and I've forgiven it.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a 6.5PRC in a SA, XM and a LA. The Short Action was a Bergara that had major feeding issues and had been back to Bergara multiple times. Bergara ended up buying the rifle back from me. Cudos to Bergara. My next was a Alamo Precision Maverick and it came in a LA. Great rifle and never had any issues. The next 6.5PRC I semi built it myself on a Defiance XM length action. When I say semi built it, I bought the action and a prefit proof barrel, trigger, bottom metal, stock etc and assembled everything except for bedding the rifle and installing the bottom metal. I sent that off to Alamo. So with that being said I like the XM action. It allows me to reload to whatever length I want once I get up and running. As is the rifle is a dream to shoot! I had my other Alamo Maverick rebarrelled to 7PRC since it was on a long action.