6.5 PRC builds

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got a spare Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM in the safe that I've thought about turning into something else. Has anyone built a 6.5 PRC on a Model Seven action? How short of a barrel would you go for a hunting rifle setup?

Thanks

brushape

WKR
I wouldn’t build one on model seven it is a longer cartridge. A bunch of guys have built the 6.5 saum on that action though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I’m probably the minority here but I would even go long action on the PRC. Especially with the 150-155 grain VLD type bullets out there. I noticed Fierce rifles use a long action for the 6.5 PRC.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
That's the problem that I'm running into. Seems like most folks are building them on a long action. I don't like the idea of a short action cartridge in a long action.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
That's the problem that I'm running into. Seems like most folks are building them on a long action. I don't like the idea of a short action cartridge in a long action.

Out of curiosity, why? The PRC is more of a “mid” than short especially because of the long bullets. If you’re going to use up the additional case capacity so you can use a short action may as well go 260 AI or something like that. Lots of guys wsm’s on long actions too just so they can seat the bullet out further. If you’re not going to handload though, it doesn’t matter. Go short action and be done with it.

Why does there have to be so many good options haha it makes fun projects a pain in the butt or we just overthink it to the point of brain meltdown. I do anyway. Have fun!

FURMAN

WKR
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Most "short action" cartridges are being severely limited by holding them to 2.850" or even 2.950" of a wyatts box. The 7SAUM and 7WSM are closer to 3.050-3.1" with 180s seated were they should be. Hornady never pushed the 6.5 PRC as a short action cartridge. Tikka actions are all the same length. You can change the bolt stop and magazine to suit your needs. I am an ounce counter but can not see the point of a short action hunting rifle. 1-2 oz and all the limitations? To each his own. I stated what I would do on LRH. Tikka or Defiance. One of mine is on a long Fierce switch barrel. The other is on a long Big Horn switch barrel. Rich Sherman is correct. If you are stuck on 2.85" build an SST.

FURMAN

WKR
Out of curiosity, why? The PRC is more of a “mid” than short especially because of the long bullets. If you’re going to use up the additional case capacity so you can use a short action may as well go 260 AI or something like that. Lots of guys wsm’s on long actions too just so they can seat the bullet out further. If you’re not going to handload though, it doesn’t matter. Go short action and be done with it.

Why does there have to be so many good options haha it makes fun projects a pain in the butt or we just overthink it to the point of brain meltdown. I do anyway. Have fun!

Factory 6.5 PRC ammo will not fit in a factory 700 short mag box.

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
I will edit my post. You suggested " If you’re not going to handload though, it doesn’t matter. Go short action and be done with it."

Factory 6.5 PRC ammo will NOT fit in a factory 700 short mag box.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR

If I'm going to go long action, I'll just use a long action cartridge.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Most "short action" cartridges are being severely limited by holding them to 2.850" or even 2.950" of a wyatts box. The 7SAUM and 7WSM are closer to 3.050-3.1" with 180s seated were they should be. Hornady never pushed the 6.5 PRC as a short action cartridge. Tikka actions are all the same length. You can change the bolt stop and magazine to suit your needs. I am an ounce counter but can not see the point of a short action hunting rifle. 1-2 oz and all the limitations? To each his own. I stated what I would do on LRH. Tikka or Defiance. One of mine is on a long Fierce switch barrel. The other is on a long Big Horn switch barrel. Rich Sherman is correct. If you are stuck on 2.85" build an SST.

I've always heard the rumblings about the 7 SAUM and COAL. However, I've never run into those issues with the bullets that I'm using. Seems like the 6.5 PRC maybe more trouble than it's worth for me.

FURMAN

WKR
If I'm going to go long action, I'll just use a long action cartridge.
I obviously can not tell you what to do but there are several advantages to cartridges like the 300 WSM and the 7 SAUM and even the 6.5 PRC. They are far more inherently accurate than other cartridges but in order to get all you can out of them they will not fit in a 700 short action even with a Wyatt's box. The idea that just because you are running a long action means you have to use the entire mag box makes about as much sense as using a short action to shoot 230 bergers out of 300 WSM. You asked if a 6.5 PRC would be suited for a model 7 which tells me you have not done much home work before asking which is fine but then you scoff at the suggestions people are giving. I am confused.

FURMAN

WKR
I've always heard the rumblings about the 7 SAUM and COAL. However, I've never run into those issues with the bullets that I'm using. Seems like the 6.5 PRC maybe more trouble than it's worth for me.
No one said anything about problems. I have had 7 SAUM in a 700 short action loaded at magazine length and it gave up around 200 fps vs the same SAUM will a bullet seated at around 3.050. If you are willing to lose that much performance to have a short action have at it. Myself and Rich Sherman offered a very good option for a 6.5 that is made to fit in a true short action.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I will edit my post. You suggested " If you’re not going to handload though, it doesn’t matter. Go short action and be done with it."

Factory 6.5 PRC ammo will NOT fit in a factory 700 short mag box.

Weird. Sounds like long action is the way to go then.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I obviously can not tell you what to do but there are several advantages to cartridges like the 300 WSM and the 7 SAUM and even the 6.5 PRC. They are far more inherently accurate than other cartridges but in order to get all you can out of them they will not fit in a 700 short action even with a Wyatt's box. The idea that just because you are running a long action means you have to use the entire mag box makes about as much sense as using a short action to shoot 230 bergers out of 300 WSM. You asked if a 6.5 PRC would be suited for a model 7 which tells me you have not done much home work before asking which is fine but then you scoff at the suggestions people are giving. I am confused.

No need to be confused. I just don't want a shorter cartridge in a long action.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
No one said anything about problems. I have had 7 SAUM in a 700 short action loaded at magazine length and it gave up around 200 fps vs the same SAUM will a bullet seated at around 3.050. If you are willing to lose that much performance to have a short action have at it. Myself and Rich Sherman offered a very good option for a 6.5 that is made to fit in a true short action.

I've read in several places where folks talk about the COAL of the SAUM in short actions. I don't know that I would want to run over 3100fps with 160s out of a 22" barrel in my 7 SAUM.

Not to get too sideways but when wsm and it’s ilk get touted as being inherently accurate isn’t that true with most 30degree shoulder cartridges that aren’t way over bore?

Or just about any cartridge that’s not belted or shallow shouldered?

At times i’ve Shot stupid good groups with a damn lee loader and dipper on fairly pedestrian cartridges like the 308 and 223.

But back to the topic If ur eating up ur mag box straight away, what moves do you have if you start to erode throat besides stumpier bullets??