First custom build at 70 yrs old

barrycuda

FNG
For my build I have narrowed calibers to 7 saum, 6.5 PRC and .284. I shoot to 600 yds but hunting will be limited to 400 probably. Mostly whitetail hunting but go west on occasion. I am a hand loader and a 7mm fan but hear good about the 6.5 PRC. Would like to stay with a short action. I would appreciate your input. Thanks Barry

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
For my build I have narrowed calibers to 7 saum, 6.5 PRC and .284. I shoot to 600 yds but hunting will be limited to 400 probably. Mostly whitetail hunting but go west on occasion. I am a hand loader and a 7mm fan but hear good about the 6.5 PRC. Would like to stay with a short action. I would appreciate your input. Thanks Barry

I really enjoy the 6.5 PRC. I handload 156 bergers for it as well as 147 eldms. I’ve got a radial brake on it and it has virtually no recoil so I’m able to shoot it long range even though it’s a lighter rifle that I can still pack in the mountains. If you already have a plethora of 7mm bullets and not 6.5mm and you don’t mind recoil much then I’d just stick with one of the 7s