6.5 PRC or 7 PRC?

I'm trying to decide on what to buy for my next backcountry hunting rifle. For context, I'm currently shooting a 30 year old Savage 110 7MM Rem Mag. I love it, but it's time for an upgrade. We hunt later rifle season in CO, primarily elk and mule deer, but I always pick up a bear tag just in case.

Trying to decide on a 6.5 PRC, or a 7 PRC for my next rifle. Personally I do not plan on taking shots beyond 500-600 yards. I love my 7 RM and don't mind the recoil, and will likely add a brake and possibly a suppressor down the road for whatever new rifle I decide on.

I know the 6.5 PRC is more than capable, and ammo is readily available in my area, but the more I read about ELD-X and ELD-M grenading at shorter distances, I lean towards a different bullet (Bergers maybe). I'm wondering if the Hornady 7 PRC ammo also fragments in the 160, 175, and 180s -- does anyone have decent experience with this?

I'm more concerned with ammo availability for the 7 PRC, though it seems like a few local shops have the 175's in stock.

Hoggetter

FNG
I have all both the 6.5 & 7 prc rifles, for back country hunting and if you like to spot your own shots I would go with the 6.5 prc and Bergers ammo with the 156gr (factory loaded ammo) if you dont reload. A 26”carbon barrel with TI pro 3 brake, forget about the suppressor ( too heavy )

Boltgun

FNG
Honestly, neither based on what you’re wanting to do.

A 6.5CM with a 143 eld or 147 eldm will do everything you want with less recoil and factory ammo without any drama.
I've read your posts before and I'm sure you get tired of re-hashing the same stuff, but could you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion?

The smaller calibers for big game still seems so counterintuitive!

PNWGATOR

WKR
The OP mentioned that he does not plan on taking shots beyond 5-600 yds and that he wants to kill elk, deer and possibly bear. Based on this information, I’m going to select a bullet with the highest BC that delivers the necessary depth of penetration and wound channel to effectively kill prey at my maximum desired/effective range. I’m going to deliver this bullet with a cartridge that recoils the least. Preferably one that’s readily available and available off the shelf. Recoil affects hit rates.
I have a 6.5 PRC. I didn’t put it together for hunting inside of 600.

Clark33

WKR
I think a 6.5prc with a brake or suppressor shooting the 147eldm or Berger 156 would be plenty. No issue spotting impacts with my braked 6.5prc.

A 6.5prc with a 147 eldm will kill very effectively. Thats my go to combo in my rifle. Shots from 50yds-500yds. Havent shot anything past 500. But i havent had a opportunity present itself at a longer distance.