6.5 prc + staball hd

SloppyJ

WKR
Not apples to apples but I read a bunch of info about staball HD in 300prc and some were having success with BR2s. That's all I have and can't find any magnum primers so I ran some tests. They were the first 30 shots out of my barrel too.

I found that I had some crazy velocity inconsistencies where on multiple shots a 0.5gr increase would result in a velocity loss of 25-30fps. I chalked it up to that powder needing some extra ignition. I didn't see that with H1000 or Retumbo.

I ran it all the way up to 0.6gr over max charge and I was still 100fps slower than listed velocity. I am missing 2" of barrel as well compared to the test rig.

I sweet talked my buddy out of 100 magnum primers and I'm going to run a few more tests with it to see if there's a difference. My gut says that the ball powder will want a magnum primer.

Ya I think your issue is the barrel length for sure. Most load data for 6.5prc is 26" an with Sako/tikka being basically 24" have found everything to be on average 75-100fps slower. Same thing with my tikka 6.5cm ctr has 20" barrel. Most 6.5cm load data is 24" sometimes 22". So its always 150fps on average slower as well. Just the way it is with barrel length. I usually just say on average 1" of barrel length is 50fps +/-. Gets ya in the ball park.

I ran some middle of the road charges through my Roughtech last week with a 143gr ELD-X and a 140gr Accubond, I'll look at my notes when I get home of the actual charge, but it was pretty poor velocity for being where it was. I used Hodgdon load data for both since neither Hornady or Nosler has Staball HD listed, at least in the material that I have on hand. Hodgdon is also listing a 24", 1 in 9 twist as their test barrel. The two range sessions from the weekend put the total round count on my at approximately 175.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
4831SC does pretty good. Right at 3000 fps with 130TMK with Hornady brass. If you run premium brass, you can get more velocity.

I tried 4831sc with the 143eldx, hornady brass as well and was at 54gr which was .7gr below max, hornady with 26" barrel says I should be at 3000fps but I'm in the 2850-2900 range. Once again Its just back to the 2" shorter barrel in my Sako or the tikkas. Either way it's plenty to get the job done!

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m running that load in a Tikka factory 24” barrel. 57.6 grs with the 130

Yikes I'd personally back off that's pretty much 2gr over max according to sierra, and 1gr roughly over max with hornady. Shoot that in heat of summer may have some real issues. Just my .02
1000006953.png

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
I went off Hornady data for their 130 ELD-M. I also measure primer pockets before and after firing to determine pocket growth. We all know how soft Hornady brass is. Even being soft, I’m only getting .5 thou pocket growth. So Hornady brass would give me at least 4-5 firings at that charge. Also, less pressure signs on case heads than some Hornady factory loads have.

I will add, I've settled on 140gr Accubonds for mine with 57.5gr of H1000. Half a grain below max in the Nosler book and they're averaging just over 2900fps so far. I'm happy with the speed and accuracy so I don't feel the need to tinker with that one anymore, even though I should be able to push them faster. The Staball HD loads were just to test. I will say, we are going to try it in my dad's Seekins PH2 as well, it will be interesting to compare.

Ya the max for hornady was like a grain under what you got. Either good on ya for checking the primers etc but agreed, hornady is softer, i use for practice ammo an lapua for hunting etc. I did notice that to with some factory hornady ammo pressure seemed high.

Ya hard to beat the h1000 in them, just trying to find more of it would be nice but in meantime use the h4831sc, was just curious how the staball HD is doing. Even just for practice an save the H1000 with better temp stability for hunting.