6.5 PRC - state of the union in early 2020?

I took a muley with my MPR in 6.5 PRC shooting 143 ELDXs at 260 yards with a single shot and the next day my buddy shot a nice bull at 501 yards with same gun and it dropped in it's tracks with a single shot.

I’ve decided to convert my kimber 300wsm to the prc. I just wanted to wait for it to grow some roots first. Nosler has it listed now for ablr(142gr) and accubond(140gr) ammunition, as well as brass. Federal also has it listed in their terminal ascent line (130gr-3000fps). Gives the non-reloader some good non cup-core ammo options for 2020

A lot more gun makers and ammo makers are on board this year. Ruger just posted an American Go Wild edition but it will be in their long action according to the marketing guy I spoke with on the phone. I know a lot of guys here dont get excited about Ruger because they cant brag about a cheap rifle that actually performs but this is good for the caliber.

Blakelok

FNG
A lot more gun makers and ammo makers are on board this year. Ruger just posted an American Go Wild edition but it will be in their long action according to the marketing guy I spoke with on the phone. I know a lot of guys here dont get excited about Ruger because they cant brag about a cheap rifle that actually performs but this is good for the caliber.

Here is the sight in from yesterday. Stock Ruger American Predator I bought for my kids. 6mm creedmoor, Factory Hornady 108 got Match. Off Sandbags.

yTnDK2G.jpg

Last edited:

ericF

WKR

My $400 Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots just as good as my $4000 Fierce CT in 300 Win Mag. Fit and finish is a world of difference, but for the price they are amazing shooters.

I have a 6.5 PRC built off a Tikka. It’s my favorite rifle in my safe. Legitimate long range deer rifle too with low recoil. I shot its first Muley in Utah this passed fall with it and was more than capable although it was only about a 200 yard shot. Love my PRC

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve decided to convert my kimber 300wsm to the prc. I just wanted to wait for it to grow some roots first. Nosler has it listed now for ablr(142gr) and accubond(140gr) ammunition, as well as brass. Federal also has it listed in their terminal ascent line (130gr-3000fps). Gives the non-reloader some good non cup-core ammo options for 2020
What are your reasons for converting?

I'm also 300 wsm guy who just finished a 6.5 PRC for last season because it has had so many raves. Now I can't decide which to go out with and I'm questioning my choice. They're so similar.

The only two animals I got with the 6.5 PRC this fall were on hunts and distances I could have killed with my .270, let alone my 300 wsm, so it didn't really get a test.

I've taken up LR as a sport/hobby in itself, as well as to increase my hunting options as I get better equipped and practiced at longer ranges. To open possibilities in case someday that irresistible longer shot presents itself.

I'm still debating sticking with a caliber I know, and wondering what I will do better with 6.5 PRC than I can do with 300 wsm. What were your considerations?

Last edited:
What are your reasons for converting?

I have a stainless 9.3x62 that covers me for moose and a .243 84m that covers me for the smaller stuff. The wsm in a sub 7lb rifle is a little high on the recoil side (I’m not a fan of brakes). Due to the recoil the remaining two rounds in my magazine bash into the front damaging the plastic tips. I experienced this when shooting 190ablr at my mule deer as well as 165ttsx at a whitetail this year.
I assume the lighter recoil and longer oal will prevent this with the prc. I can also only assume that going from factory kimber to a 8400 countour lilja will improve my accuracy...potential.

Most importantly I want to fit in with all the cool sheep hunters :)