6.5 PRC vs 6.5 CM? I currently use a 7 PRC, but looking for a lighter weight, lighter recoiling rifle dedicated for deer hunting.

jimh406

WKR
The 6.5 PRC is flatter shooting, but with a bit more kick the the Creedmoor. Of course, the kick is nothing like the 7 PRC. I don't think the ammo cost/availability matters that much if you won't be shooting it that much.

That being said, where are you deer hunting and what range are we talking about?

ThatDUDE

WKR
I will just be different...Howa Mini in 6mm ARC. That's what I have landed on for this years hunting. Even at its modest speeds the 6mm ARC still carries enough velocity to reliably upset bullets out to distances farther then I am comfortable shooting animals at right now.

SwiftShot

WKR
6mm Creedmoor is a hell of a deer round. All will get the job done.

Since you have the 7 PRC, the 6.5 PRC is kind of close with the 6.5 Creedmoor not too far off. The 6mm Creedmoor is a nice spread in your rifle stable.

For deer I would say 600 and closer it is perfect. You have the 7 PRC for everything else.

TN2shot07

WKR
I would tend to agree with the 6cm but I’m just not seeing it chambered in a ton of “traditional” hunting rifles yet. Once it steps up a little bit in popularity and support I may consider it over a 243 but not yet.

Since you have the high end covered I’d go 6.5 cm, no reason for the extra recoil for strictly a deer rifle.

prm

WKR
I don’t understand considering the 6.5 PRC when you have a 7 PRC. Go 6.5 CM

MThuntr

WKR
6.5 Grendel or 6 ARC...these are both low recoil and capable of killing deer to 400 yards.

The next level with a touch more juice would be 243, 6mmCM, or 6.5CM. I don't know if you'd gain much but very available ammo and proven killers

In Rokslide fashion....223 Remington

TheViking

WKR
When you figure in ammo cost and availability, it's 6.5 Creed all the way. Not even close.
PRC and CM are same price, 6 CM is actually cheaper.

6.5 CM ELD-X $33.46 / box

6.5 PRC ELD-X $33.60 / box

6 CM ELD-X $31.79 / box

I keep moving to smaller and smaller cartridges. I am liking the 6CM for deer and I am even considering 223 for the little Alaska deer that I chase around.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Of your two choices I'd go CM.
With no limits selected I'd go 6mm Creedmor.
I've got 2x6.5CM's in the safe and a 6.5-284 Norma and since I brought home the 6mm it's been the only rifle I hunt with.
Our range here on the farm goes to 700y.
I've gotten my nephews (first time shooters to centerfire rifles) to get first round hits and spot their own impacts with the 6CM @700y gong (which is only 12" across).
Light recoil
Great terminal performance on deer sized game
Plentiful ammo on shelves (I'm still collecting once fired brass and haven't yet bothered to order reloading dies for it).
Hearing safe with a can on it.
What's not to love?

flyguyskt

FNG
243 winchester is honestly hard to beat, especially if you reload..I have heard a rumor that a pinch over 46 grns..of 4831SC will push a 90 grain Accubond around 3200fps!! Faster the the 6 CM but without the fanboy swagger and gucci bag ... minimal recoil...IF you can even call it recoil...LOL

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Of the two OP listed, 100% 6.5 Creedmoor.

Two other options are 243 and 6 Creedmoor. Both will flatten any Whitetail on earth with excellent ballistics, low recoil and widely available ammo.

6.5 creed with 129gr interlock or any number of of other 120-130gr bullets will be plenty for deer at your intended range. Hold on the shoulder and drop them without being too destructive, the 123gr sst is my favorite bullet for the creed.
Dad’s creed has an 18” barrel it’s super handy in/out of trucks and blinds even suppressed. I’ll never buy/build a rifle with a barrel over 20” again after using a short suppressed rifle there’s no turning back.
I’ve killed half dozen deer with my 6.5 PRC using 143 eldx past few years I’m a shoulder shooter and inside 400yd it wrecks them. I can’t tell any difference in the damage done by that combo and deer killed with a 162gr eldx from a 7mag.
You’ve got the magnum side of things covered with the 7mm, a creed will be a better fit for deer and play time.
I’ve used a 243win and 95gr sst for almost 20yrs never needed more gun for deer here in Ky.