6.5 PRC Lightweight Backcountry Rifle

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Here is a link to a recoil calculator, that takes a lot of those factors into consideration.

Awesome. Thanks!

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
What you are describing (Ability to change LOP etc.) would make the savage ultralite a perfect contender except for the barrel length. It is odd to me that they went with a 24" barrel for the 6.5prc and a 22" barrel for the 7prc but I won't argue given how mine shoots.
[I swapped to the savage after running about 350 rounds through a .308 Waypoint 2020 and just deciding I wanted to go lighter and a flatter caliber. The bonus is it kicks less and shoots even better.]

SDHNTR

WKR
You think I'd really save some? I wouldn't really even know where to start. I have install a few triggers but not much past that.

One rifle that seems to be close to what I want was the X-bolt Micro Midas and it comes with butt pad spacers. Not exactly custom but allows me to adjust for my son as he grows. I'm only 5' 7" so I like a 13" lop myself. I think I'm still leaning toward a creedmoor for shootability.
No, I meant save more money so you can do it properly from the start. No mass produced rifle will rival what you can put together yourself.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
What you are describing (Ability to change LOP etc.) would make the savage ultralite a perfect contender except for the barrel length. It is odd to me that they went with a 24" barrel for the 6.5prc and a 22" barrel for the 7prc but I won't argue given how mine shoots.
[I swapped to the savage after running about 350 rounds through a .308 Waypoint 2020 and just deciding I wanted to go lighter and a flatter caliber. The bonus is it kicks less and shoots even better.]
I've looked at this one before https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting.../savage-arms-lightweight-storm-rifle/p/p58787.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked at this one before https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting.../savage-arms-lightweight-storm-rifle/p/p58787.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
I am referring to the Proof research CF barreled version which can be had for about a grand.

Not the fanciest by far and the barrel is 24" but they shoot lights out.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Decide what you want the bullet to do after it leaves the muzzle. JBM is a ballistic calculator online.

Then, you can pick the cartridge. Between 26 and 20 inches, most all cartridges lose about 25 fps plus or minus for every inch you cut off.

A 6.5 prc will always be about the same fps faster than a 6.5 cm with the same barrel lengths and apples/apples on ammo specs, say Hornady 140gr match ammo for both.

You can trade higher recoil and cut off 4 or more inches if you go with a PRC over a CM and still be faster.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Save some extra and build it the way you want from the ground up. You have specific needs/wants and are not going to find them in a factory rifle. Plus, the two you mentioned are known gambles on quality. Do it right the first time. No one will put the same care and attention to detail into the job that you yourself will! Buy a good receiver, prefit barrel, trigger, stock and bottom metal. If you know what end of the screwdriver to hold you can DIY.
So I like this idea the only thing is I have a tight timeframe. Measure 114 here in Oregon might be moving forward again in September and it will be impossible, or a big hassle to buy a firearm. What portion of a build is considered the firearm on a bolt action? The action itselft, right? I'm not sure how that works. I'm thinking I could just buy the action and then slowly piece it together.

NSI

WKR
So I like this idea the only thing is I have a tight timeframe. Measure 114 here in Oregon might be moving forward again in September and it will be impossible, or a big hassle to buy a firearm. What portion of a build is considered the firearm on a bolt action? The action itselft, right? I'm not sure how that works. I'm thinking I could just buy the action and then slowly piece it together.
You could buy a Tikka now (about 30 oz action weight), keep or sell the barrel for about 150 bucks, and sell the stock for about 100 bucks.

Replacement stocks which are that lightweight pretty much point you at the $400 blemished Stocky's VG2 and a rattle can paint job. You'll love it. I just did a Tikka at 5 pounds flat using a similar stock, a wildcat.

-J

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The serialized part is what gets transferred as a firearm per federal law through an FFL. The action is serialized for bolt actions. Not sure what Oregon law will be, but buying an action right now would work.

If you buy an Origin or ARC action, you can easily exchange bolt heads from .223 to magnum.

SDHNTR

WKR
You are correct

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
You could buy a Tikka now (about 30 oz action weight), keep or sell the barrel for about 150 bucks, and sell the stock for about 100 bucks.

Replacement stocks which are that lightweight pretty much point you at the $400 blemished Stocky's VG2 and a rattle can paint job. You'll love it. I just did a Tikka at 5 pounds flat using a similar stock, a wildcat.

-J
What barrel? Is there anything wrong with the one they come with? Wouldn't chopping off 4" of a superlite get me there? I don't think the fluting starts for about 5 or 6".

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
The serialized part is what gets transferred as a firearm per federal law through an FFL. The action is serialized for bolt actions. Not sure what Oregon law will be, but buying an action right now would work.

If you buy an Origin or ARC action, you can easily exchange bolt heads from .223 to magnum
I really like this idea.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
You are correct
So now you have me watching videos like this but I don't have vice and all the tools required. . but more importantly. . I don't think I trust myself to not screw something up. The install of the action to the barrel is what scares me the most.

Can you buy the action with the barrel already installed?

NSI

WKR
What barrel? Is there anything wrong with the one they come with? Wouldn't chopping off 4" of a superlite get me there? I don't think the fluting starts for about 5 or 6".
Absolutely nothing wrong with factory barrels in terms of durability and accuracy. They tend to be about 100fps slow, which might be annoying to you if you chop it a ton. But that's absolutely a viable and cost effective strategy. You can always buy a pre-fit later.

What are your muzzle device / suppressor laws over there?

-J

NSI

WKR
So now you have me watching videos like this but I don't have vice and all the tools required. . but more importantly. . I don't think I trust myself to not screw something up. The install of the action to the barrel is what scares me the most.

It's dead simple, I'm happy to talk you through it and send you tools.

-J

SDHNTR

WKR

You certainly can, but it’s also noting to be intimidated by. And buying a barrelled action might limit you choices in length and contour.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Absolutely nothing wrong with factory barrels in terms of durability and accuracy. They tend to be about 100fps slow, which might be annoying to you if you chop it a ton. But that's absolutely a viable and cost effective strategy. You can always buy a pre-fit later.

What are your muzzle device / suppressor laws over there?

-J
We can own suppressors. I don't have plans for one now. I don't really like brakes.