6.5 PRC vs 6.5 CM? I currently use a 7 PRC, but looking for a lighter weight, lighter recoiling rifle dedicated for deer hunting.

Ludo

FNG
I currently hunt with a 7mm PRC, which has taken the place of my Sako 85 30-06 as my "do-it-all" rifle. I'm now looking at adding a dedicated 6.5mm deer rifle, and I'm having trouble deciding between the 6.5 CM vs the 6.5 PRC. Any thoughts on which one would be better suited in this scenario?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
+1 vote for creed. No reason to have the 6.5prc if you already have the 7

As for caliber:
6.5mm if its for me
6mm if there's a good chance that kids will use it. Both are fine

The Guide

WKR
I currently hunt with a 7mm PRC, which has taken the place of my Sako 85 30-06 as my "do-it-all" rifle. I'm now looking at adding a dedicated 6.5mm deer rifle, and I'm having trouble deciding between the 6.5 CM vs the 6.5 PRC. Any thoughts on which one would be better suited in this scenario?
Describe your deer hunting. If it is deer sized game and below at distances below 500 yards, I agree with Wind Gypsy on the 6CM or even the 6 ARC. Easy to shoot and easy to watch hits/misses for follow-up shots. My Ruger American Predator in 6CM is a fine shooter and easy on the shoulder. My family and friend all enjoy shooting it. Should have my new 6 ARC at the FFL Monday. Can't wait to do some shooting with it.

Jay

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am with Gypsy. 6 Creed basically has the ballistics of the 6.5 prc inside typical killing range and recoil less than both. Spotting shots with the 6 is way easier. And, it is more shootable with precision than both.

If 6.5 then it depends on how far you will shoot. Inside 200 the only difference is recoil. Anything inside 450/500 the difference in drop and drift is minimal, that the extra recoil of the PRC doesn’t cancel out.

Further than that, the 6.5 prc if you get the dope and form dialed in.

My short answer is neither: get a 6mm CM for deer hunting. It's a better compliment to your 7 PRC than the 6.5 CM.

If I had a a Delorean and the means to travel back in time, I'd save so much money on centerfire hunting rifles. Instead of the 50 or so I've bought and kept, sold or traded, I'd have just three:
1. .223 Rem
2. 6mm Creedmoor
3. 6.5 PRC
Not knocking the dozens of other useful cartridges, but this battery would cover 100% of the hunting I've done and likely will ever do. Granted, the only "dangerous" animal I've killed was a brown bear with a .338 Win. Mag. While the guide would have flipped out, the reality is the 6.5 PRC and 6mm CM with the right bullet would have done the job just fine.

Elite

WKR

How do you like the 7mm prc vs the 30-06? How is the recoil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lemhi

FNG
Another vote for 6cm over a 6.5 for deer out to 500. Took this buck at 535 with my 20” 6cm the crew at LRI slapped together for me. 108 Berger elite hunter @2925fps and it was one and done this buck took about a half step.

Attachments

• IMG_7030.jpeg
    IMG_7030.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 122

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for 6 Creed… grew up around folks using .243 Win for the same task… the Creed is the better factory option in my opinion.