65 mm spotters

Hey guys, I’m thinking of getting a 65 mm spotter. Im open to getting a used one. Just wondering if getting a middle of the road one is worth the smaller cost, or if “buy once, cry once” is the way to go. For perspective, I usually hunt in my home state and occasionally go out of state. Also, I don’t get to hunt more than a couple of weeks per year. Any advice is appreciated!

Maverick1

WKR
I don’t get to hunt more than a couple of weeks per year. Any advice is appreciated!
I think you are buying gear for the sake of buying gear, you likely don’t *need* a spotter, and you would ultimately be wasting your money. But it’s your money, so do what you think will make you more successful and happy. Good luck! (y)

I have ran a lot of spotters over the last 15 years. I now run a ATS 65 hd. I don't believe I will be changing in the foreseeable future

My spotter before was a 773 and that was great spotter! My only complaint was MY eyes for some reason did not love the WA eyepiece on it when I was looking at something closer than 300 yards.

IMO get it narrowed down to a couple spotters and sit down behind each one. But defiatly spend the money for what you really want.

I've used a Swaro ATM HD 20-60x65 since 2011. Works just great for sheep, caribou, moose etc where we have horn, age or antler point restrictions. Digiscoping too as the iPhone, plus thge Phonescope attachment really allows you to check out the head gear.

Also have a tiny Nikon ED 13-30x50HD that I use a fair bit, both with the phone scope and to size up bears and other critters where the antlers/horns are not critical to determine legality. Pretty decent little optic that is around 10 years old, bought used, but it is no Swaro.

Based on the my extensive experience I'd buy the latest compact Swaro ATC17-40x56 ($2500) and be set. Lots of info on them here on Rokslide. Check eye relief specs carefully if an eye glass wearer. Also check field of view. I think the small Swaro noted would serve my dual needs pretty well.