Spotter advice

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Looking to upgrade my spotter.

In the buy once cry once mindset. And need it to cover most of my bases as this will be my only one.
Would like to stay in 2200-3200 range.

Will need to be able to backpack with it. As I rarely use my current one on the window mount.

Looking at the new kowa and the Swarovski 65.

Any suggestions appreciated just started the deep dive a week ago and working my way through the archives for info.

Thz

OP
PredatoronthePrairie

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks

Was wondering about straight vs angled. Pros and cons. Current spotter is straight. Get a bit of a stiff neck after awhile, was wondering if the angled would be the better route but never looked through one.

For backpacking and something light and compact, I really like my Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact spotting scope. I just did some shooting at 100-300 yards and it was simple to see the holes in the target even at the 300 yard distance shooting a 300 Winchester.

gr_15-30x50_compact_120375_a-1_1.png

Thanks

Was wondering about straight vs angled. Pros and cons. Current spotter is straight. Get a bit of a stiff neck after awhile, was wondering if the angled would be the better route but never looked through one.

Personally, I hate angled eyepieces, for various reasons. The straight eyepiece works better for me in terms of portability, expediency, stealth and fatigue.

For backpacking and something light and compact, I really like my Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact spotting scope. I just did some shooting at 100-300 yards and it was simple to see the holes in the target even at the 300 yard distance shooting a 300 Winchester.

gr_15-30x50_compact_120375_a-1_1.png

Yes sir, Leupold builds a great spotting scope, as well.

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks

One of the reasons that I really like a straight eyepiece as well, is that I can transition from my binoculars off of my tripod and slide the spotter directly on the head and not have to adjust the height. It’s dang close every time I transition and don’t have to search. And I really like how a straight eyepiece sits in my pack.

Ok i have been out of the loop long enough to see the kowa 77 series has been discontinued and they came out with a new flourite 66….

Thats the one i would get between the swaro and the kowa.

However, you might find some deals on the 77 series closeouts.

Swaro STS 80 HD has been good to me. I pack with mine - but the 65 would make a slightly better backpacking scope.

atmat

WKR
Thanks

Spend some time behind straight vs angled. I have gotten where I really prefer angled in the field. I strain less, and it’s an overall more comfortable experience.

In the buy once cry once mindset. And need it to cover most of my bases as this will be my only one.

Will need to be able to backpack with it. As I rarely use my current one on the window mount.

Any suggestions appreciated just started the deep dive a week ago and working my way through the archives for info.

Thz
I would look seriously at the Swaro ATC 17-40 if you’re serious about a backpacking scope in that range. It’s not quite the 65 you were looking at but unless you’re trying to count rings it is an excellent option.

Thz
Just for sh*ts and giggles, order yourself an Opticron with a fixed eyepiece to compare to that Kowa. Get it from a place that will allow you to return it. See for yourself if you need to spend the extra $1k

66Charger

FNG
FNG here, super stoked on Kowa products. Would love to get my hands on the new 66 to try. Anyone have experience with them?