65mm spotter.....can anything run with the Swaro ATS HD?

Unless some new optics drop for 2022 (I will not have enough scratch to purchase until late winter anyhow) is there any last spotter I may be overlooking to compete with the Swaro ATS 65?

I have the big Meopta 82mm and packed it all season. It's neat. But it's huge.

I glass with binos 80% of the time. But they're also on the tripod about 80% of the time, so it's being packed anyway. Also, I get almost as much fun out of digiscoping while on a hunt, as I do the hunt itself. My phone is almost always in the cradle and being swapped back n forth.

I can't (wont) afford the AT-X version. I really don't think I'll slum a Vortex either. I already own the Athlon 65mm.....which is great for under 1000 yards and great conditions. But it's not Swaro clear.

The Kowa 66mm is I think NOT AS WELL COATED, or has the top tier glass as the 77mm and 88mm? It's also almost 10oz heavier than the Swaro....which really seems like a nice, slim and sleek spotter.

Maven shouldn't even be in the running?

fatrascal

WKR
I was going to suggest the kowa 553 but since you mentioned that you love to digiscope I decided not to mention it. Nice spotter for saving weight but will not in my opinion take the place of digiscoping with the swaro ATS. As far as I know kowa does not make a 66 so you have to jump to the 77 which is equivalent to the swaro 80 and is in my opinion too big for backpack hunting if thats what you are doing. So the only thing to compare with the swaro 65 would be a Leica or Zeiss 65 which depends on personal preference as to which of the 3 is the best. Im a swaro man so the ats has my vote. But honestly they all shine and have better moments in different conditions.
I'd say you have made a great choice. Fatrascal.

Look at the Kowa 77X. It competes favorably with the ATX/STX. Can be found for about $2200 including the new wide angle eyepiece and case.

The Kowa 66X has lower grade glass.

Am a fan of Kowa’s fluorite glass. My Kowa 554 competes very favorably with my STX 65. Also preferred it over a guide’s STS 65 while on Kodiak.

There was Rokslide review of the Kowa 99X. Has a size comparison photo which is telling.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 66 Kowa but have never compared it to the Swaro 65. I often wonder if I am really missing out on anything not owning the Swaro. I will say the Kowa with the 30 power eyepiece is crystal clear. The 20-60 isn’t bad but anything above 45 doesn’t have the clearest view but above it’s still usable.

OP
J
Totally agree w the top end is generally useless. One of the few YT reviews of the Swaro 65 stayed it WAS useable all the way up. An appealing feature.

OP
J
The 66mm Kowa was already 10pz over the Swaro. I’d guess the 77mm much more.

Almost forgot I owned a Zeiss 65mm straight for many years. I now much prefer Angled. And it was pre HD. Think glass has advanced since that build. May have been a 1999ish optic

tdhanses

WKR
I’d get the Kowa 77 over any of the ATS swaros, 65 or 80. I’d also consider the Kowa 55 series and you can digiscope from it but your fov will be short.

dapesche

WKR
I just sold my 663ed. It's fantastic. I wanted more light at 60x times so I've gone up to the 773.

I bought a 65atx and returned it after comparing it against my 663. 65atx was Incrementally better than the 663 but it was really just the field of view that I liked. I ate $200+ in return charges to get my money back for the 65atx.

Borrowed my friends 65sts HD and took the comparison photos see in my for sale ad: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=45046&share_type=t&link_source=app

I didn't do a 65atx comparison because I didn't want to screw the unit back together and potentially scratch it which may have made it 'unreturnable'.

Guess all I'll say is that swaro is a brand and that brand has earned a premium. Just like Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche, etc. Are those vehicles that much better than a fully loaded Toyota or Honda... Not really, but the European brand is strong. You pay a premium for it.

Decide whether you're ok with that premium or if you want value. Kowa is much better value and the optics are outstanding.

With camera lenses, photographers want the made in Japan version because of construction quality. For some reason with hunters and optics, made in Japan isn't good enough and they want European.

After my experience with being sold at 65atx, I'd argue that hunters argument that 'European is the best' is a lazy one and more of an argument based on what a buddy said.

In those photos, that 663ed is probably 8 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Wheels

WKR
The 66mm Kowa was already 10pz over the Swaro. I’d guess the 77mm much more.

Almost forgot I owned a Zeiss 65mm straight for many years. I now much prefer Angled. And it was pre HD. Think glass has advanced since that build. May have been a 1999ish optic
Specs show the ATS65 is 3lb 5 oz and the Kowa 773 is 3lb 12oz with eyepieces. I had the Swarovski ATS 65 with 20-60 eyepiece and sold it. I currently have the Kowa 774 with the 25-60 eyepiece and feel it is a much better view. I assume the Swarovski 25-50 eyepiece would be a closer comparison.

dapesche

WKR
Specs show the ATS65 is 3lb 5 oz and the Kowa 773 is 3lb 12oz with eyepieces. I had the Swarovski ATS 65 with 20-60 eyepiece and sold it. I currently have the Kowa 774 with the 25-60 eyepiece and feel it is a much better view. I assume the Swarovski 25-50 eyepiece would be a closer comparison.
I have a 773 in the mail to me this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
There are some really good YouTube videos comparing the top end spotters. Check Them out!

ZackP

WKR

This statement right here.

You would honestly be surprised at how light the 773 is. From my experience I’ll pay the extra few oz of weight penalty over the 65 ATS HD.

The 773 view was that much better and more comfortable for me.

OP
J
I've ran through a handful of YT videos prior. Watched the caribou hunt comparing Kowa vs Swaro, but they are the huge spotters....80+mm.

Searched some specs again and still think the Kowa is 10oz heavier. And can agree that those 10 ounces may be negligible over the long haul.

For those with the Kowa. The eye piece. Way back in the day I owned a Minox 62 maybe? The glass in the eyepiece was so small. It was very hard to get behind.

In contrast....this little Athlon Ares I have....the eye piece glass is HUGE. So much so that my Novagrade does not fit the ocular.

How large in diameter are the eye pieces on the Kowa series?

Tahoe1305

WKR
I look forward to the vortex haters coming at me….

That’s said, I have the gen I razor 16-48x65 and really like it. Haven’t compared to 65 swaro but have to Leupold GR and Kowa 55.

It’s the one I kept.

I won’t say it is hands down better in every category. But it only ways 48oz w/eye piece. I like the fine (off barrel) focus much more than the on barrel. It’s edge to edge clarity when tested was near perfect. I could resolve the same at same power with the other two scopes.

And the best part, you can run the swaro 25-50 eyepiece on it (which I have). It leaves me wanting nothing and is the lightest weight 65mm option that I am aware of (sure there are a few others Gen I athlon for example).

These are made in Japan as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess. My eyepiece cost as much as my scope and I’m all in IVO $1200. I think it’s a great bargain.

***Edited with my objective analysis from a few years back looking at a res chart at 400yds. Overcast mid day. Full write up on comprising is on Rokslide588F132D-BCB3-495D-9413-162DDA25FCAA.png

Last edited:
OP
J
I have very early Vortex Viper HD binos.....made is Japan. And they hold their own against 2021 Meoptas. I dont doubt you.

Neat Pro Tip re: Swaro eyepiece

tdhanses

WKR
Guess you have to ask yourself what your really willing to pay, if a $700 spotter is tempting I’d say neither a swaro or Kowa are really serious contenders due to price.

I had a gen 1 vortex razor 65, it was a great entry level spotter for sure but it doesn’t compare to the swaro I had and the 2 Kowa’s I currently have, It gets grainy much past 25x and clarity is vastly reduced at 48x. Many like to talk themselves into the lower price option as good and there’s nothing wrong with that. I think you’ll see that your current Athlon Ares is equal or better then the Vortex.

Now if you truly want a Spotter that will shine in conditions outside of perfect blue bird days you won’t regret the swaro or Kowa, the 77 will be heavier but will be better then the swaro 65, so you have to determine what’s more important weight or better optics and light gathering. Now if you glass mainly with your binos and can deal with using a spotter to verify then the Kowa 55 is a rockstar, crystal clear all the way to 45x and really only fell off in light gathering from my Sawro 80 HD by maybe 5 mins. The great bonus of the Kowa 55 isn’t it’s reduced weight to the 65mm options, its the reduced bulk, it’s much smaller which means less space needed for it, you can also then use a lighter weight tripod setup saving more weight then if you run a 65+.

Just food for thought but the Kowa 55 isn’t for everyone but it’s the one spotter thats always in my pack.

I have the Tines up adapter and it fits pretty much anything, the novagrade i have also has different rings to fit different eyepieces but you have to change them out.

Last edited:

golfbum

WKR
I would suggest the Leica APO65 if you are looking at the Swaro ats. I have owned both and the Leica was a clear winner imo. With that said, I haven’t compared it to an atx 65. I would like to get an atx at some point to check it out.

Wheels

WKR
I've ran through a handful of YT videos prior. Watched the caribou hunt comparing Kowa vs Swaro, but they are the huge spotters....80+mm.

Searched some specs again and still think the Kowa is 10oz heavier. And can agree that those 10 ounces may be negligible over the long haul.

For those with the Kowa. The eye piece. Way back in the day I owned a Minox 62 maybe? The glass in the eyepiece was so small. It was very hard to get behind.

In contrast....this little Athlon Ares I have....the eye piece glass is HUGE. So much so that my Novagrade does not fit the ocular.

How large in diameter are the eye pieces on the Kowa series?
Here’s the specs

Attachments

• FF897EBC-76A4-4F5C-8E86-ED6688FDDDD2.png
    FF897EBC-76A4-4F5C-8E86-ED6688FDDDD2.png
    263.1 KB · Views: 77

bpurtz

WKR
You do need to be careful - top shelf optics can be highly addictive...

I had a Swaro ATM 65 w/ 25-50 Wide Angle which turned out to be the gateway - it was great, but I always felt like my buddy's ATX 65 was a little clearer. After upgrading to the ATX 65 I just seemed to want more and before I knew it a 95 became my next fix. And now a BTX has become part of the addiction cycle...

In all seriousness, the BTX 95 is the most incredible combo I've used.

If you ever thought a BTX was going to be in the mix, you might want to consider the ATX now...