6CM clickers

OP
solarshooter

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed, that is by far the easiest thing to try first. I can also try and resize a touch more, I was aiming for 0.002" headspace clearance.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don’t typically fully trust a ladder to establish pressure at all unless my barrel is broken in. Like a said above not uncommon to see 100 +\- fps.

I actually just broke in a 6 creed. Started at 2850 and ended at 2990.

OP
solarshooter

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t typically fully trust a ladder to establish pressure at all unless my barrel is broken in. Like a said above not uncommon to see 100 +\- fps.

That's fair, I guess I wanted to establish the limits early, but I see how it could be misleading. It could be that I'm already speeding up and getting more pressure. I'll back it off and shoot more over the chrono until I see MV stabilize, then repeat the pressure test. Hopefully this solves the clicker problem as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
That's fair, I guess I wanted to establish the limits early, but I see how it could be misleading. It could be that I'm already speeding up and getting more pressure. I'll back it off and shoot more over the chrono until I see MV stabilize, then repeat the pressure test. Hopefully this solves the clicker problem as well.
Velocity = pressure. Even it everything is handling it.

The above poster noted some pressure numbers with your load. Now imagine those with another 80-160 fps added on. Add in some moisture and you’re asking for problems.

6 creed and h4350 is a pretty easy combo to load for really.

Over a grain over any published book max I’ve seen for a bullet like that, with lower volume brass, that’s been fired in a different chamber but we’re talking about “fixing” the chamber?

I wouldn’t be surprised if you backed it down a grain and still had sticky bolt lift.

If your barrel is an ace 236 bore, add one more thing that might contribute a little to building pressure.

Last edited:
OP
solarshooter

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
It's a Bartlein, not sure what bore they run exactly. I think my main mistake was focusing only on primer condition and ejector marks to assess pressure. Well that and referencing forum numbers. But again, I've gone further over book max without issue on many other guns, so I don't think "over a grain over book max" is really inherently the problem here.

"Fixing the chamber" is the bottom of the list of options, and precisely why I posted here to get insight, because it didn't seem reasonable. I've never had clicker issues, and when I started searching, I found Alex Wheelers thread talking about "fixing chambers", so that's why I included it as an option. But I agree, the once fired brass in a different chamber and hot load could be the culprits. Easy to check, I'll report back once I do.

revoked

FNG

How many shots did it take for your barrel to break in?

It's a Bartlein, not sure what bore they run exactly. I think my main mistake was focusing only on primer condition and ejector marks to assess pressure. Well that and referencing forum numbers. But again, I've gone further over book max without issue on many other guns, so I don't think "over a grain over book max" is really inherently the problem here.

It is when you consider said data is usually based on hornady brass with 6%+ more h20 capacity than the brass you’re using. Meaning 40.0 would probably be about max if they would have used the same brass as you. Really you’re closer to 3 grains over max.

Agree that focusing on primer and case head condition was a mistake. When you’re getting 24”+ published max load velocities from your 18” barrel and you have to beat your bolt open that is a much more clear pressure sign.

"Fixing the chamber" is the bottom of the list of options, and precisely why I posted here to get insight, because it didn't seem reasonable. I've never had clicker issues, and when I started searching, I found Alex Wheelers thread talking about "fixing chambers", so that's why I included it as an option. But I agree, the once fired brass in a different chamber and hot load could be the culprits. Easy to check, I'll report back once I do.
I have a box or two of new 6cm ADG brass if you're interested, I'd make you a good deal.

revoked

FNG
Bryan Litz tested this in his latest book, he shows the speed up can continue up to 200 shots, give or take.
Thanks for the info. New to reloading in general and trying to work out my first load, on a new rifle of course lol

OP
solarshooter

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I loaded up 10ea at 40.0gr and 41.0gr and shot them yesterday with the Lab Radar running. Avg MV may have increased a bit since the first test (45 shots ago), but considering the initial test was only 3 shots, I don't think it's a statistically significant delta. I got maybe 3/10 clickers at 40.0, and 2/10 at 41.0. The 43.0 load may have been exacerbating this issue, but considering that I was still getting clickers at nearly 2gr below book max I don't think that fully explains it. I will say, I didn't have any extreme stuck bolt issues that required smacking open like I did at 43.0.

Measuring the fired brass, I see base diameters from 0.470" to 0.471". There is no correlation between base diameter and clickers. However, when I was measuring the bases, I noticed that some cases showed wear marks from the resizing die going much lower on the case than others. So it could be that the height of the max diameter is significantly different case to case just depending on what chamber it was initially fired in, rather than the overall max diameter itself. I was not able to directly correlate this to the clickers I experienced in test either.

150 pieces of new ADG 6CM are on the way thanks to @762 ULTRAMAGA, so I'll test with those at 40.0gr to start and see if that cures the issue.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Measuring the fired brass, I see base diameters from 0.470" to 0.471". There is no correlation between base diameter and clickers. However, when I was measuring the bases, I noticed that some cases showed wear marks from the resizing die going much lower on the case than others. So it could be that the height of the max diameter is significantly different case to case just depending on what chamber it was initially fired in, rather than the overall max diameter itself. I was not able to directly correlate this to the clickers I experienced in test either.
That measurement can only be accurately take with a ball mic, at exactly .2" above the case head, so it's a little harder to diagnose based on dimensions and specs.

150 pieces of new ADG 6CM are on the way thanks to @762 ULTRAMAGA, so I'll test with those at 40.0gr to start and see if that cures the issue.
I'll bet it does.

That measurement can only be accurately take with a ball mic, at exactly .2" above the case head, so it's a little harder to diagnose based on dimensions and specs.

I'll bet it does.

Do you mean blade mic? Calipers seem to be repeatable enough to at least tell some of the story.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Do you mean blade mic? Calipers seem to be repeatable enough to at least tell some of the story.
Should have said micrometer because yeah blade mic would probably work better. Yes they do, but like I said they're not perfectly accurate and can make it harder to diagnose an issue based on dimensions and specs. Most comparisons I've seen calipers can be .001/2" off of what an actual mic will read, depending on quality and accuracy of tools too, it could be more.